• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tosa's Log II: The Wrath of Progressive Overload

Tosa

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So this is my new log.

(Isn't it amazing how well 2001 holds up, even today?)

Link to the first and last pages of my old log, respectively:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/tosa-s-strength-conditioning-log-1053917/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/tosa-s-strength-conditioning-log-1053917/index158.html

Moving this here, to better keep track of progression.

Cycle 1

Squat
Week 1: 100kg x 10, 3 sets
Week 2: 105kg x 8, 3 sets
Week 3: 112.5kg x 5, 4 sets
Week 4: 120kg x 4, 3 sets
Week 5: 125kg x 3, 2 sets

Deadlift
Week 1: 120kg x 10, 3 sets
Week 2: 127.5kg x 8, 3 sets
Week 3: 137.5kg x 6, 3 sets
Week 4: 145kg x 6, 2 sets
Week 5: 155kg x 6

Cycle 2

Squat
Week 1: 102.5kg x 12, 2 sets
Week 2: 110kg x 10, 2 sets
Week 3: 115kg x 7, 2 sets
Week 4: 122.5kg x 5, 2 sets
Week 5: 130kg x 3, 2 sets

Deadlift
Week 1: 125kg x 12, 2 sets
Week 2: 132.5kg x 10, 2 sets
Week 3: 142.5kg x 8, 2 sets
Week 4: 150kg x 6, 2 sets
Week 5: 160kg x 6

Cycle 3

Squat
Week 1: 105kg x 13
Week 2: 112.5kg x 10
Week 3: 120kg x 6
Week 4: 127.5kg x 2, 4 sets
Week 5: 135kg x 1

Deadlift
Week 1: 127.5kg x 16
Week 2: 137.5kg x 14
Week 3: 145kg x 11
Week 4: 155kg x 8
Week 5: 180kg x 1

Cycle 4

Squat
Week 1: 100kg x 15
Week 2: 107.5kg x 13
Week 3: 115kg x 10
Week 4: 122.5kg x 6
Week 5: 137.5kg x 1

Deadlift
Week 1: 130kg x 19
Week 2: 140kg+40kg chains x 3
Week 3: 147.5kg x 10
Week 4: 157.5kg x 8
Week 5: 165kg x 5

Cycle 5

Squat
Week 1: 102.5kg x 15
Week 2: 110kg x 12
Week 3: 117.5kg x 9
Week 4: 125kg x 5
Week 5: 140kg x 1

Deadlift
Week 1: 132.5kg x 17
Week 2: 140kg x 15
Week 3: 150kg x 11
Week 4: 160kg x 8
Week 5: 167.5kg x 1, 177.5kg x F

Cycle 6

Squat
Week 1: 105kg x 16
Week 2: 112.5kg x 11
Week 3: 120kg x 8

Deadlift
Week 1: 135kg x 16
Week 2: 145kg x 13

Last edited:
I have to:

Cycle 5 goals
GM, 120kg x 5+ -> 120kg x 6, 2 sets
Bent leg back extension, 80kg x 5+ -> 80kg x 5, 2 sets
Deficit deadlift, 155kg x 3 -> 155kg x 3, 3 sets
Zombie squat, 95kg x 1 -> 100kg x 1

Cycle 6 goals
GM, 125kg x 5
Bent leg back extension, 80kg x 6+, 2-3 sets.
Deficit deadlift, 160kg x 3
Zombie squat, 105kg x 1
Narrow grip bench -> 102.5kg x 3

Last edited:
Welcome to the training logs and good luck with your training.

lrg-84066-st-2011-000109-freestyle-adriana-greece.jpg

Last edited:
Such a welcome!

As was brought up in Jaunty's log, some individuals might try and limit chatter in their logs, to delay the inevitable log carousel of death. However, if my log can't exist in perpetuity, then it should burn all the brighter. So I welcome training and off topic discussion.

Besides, I thought of a bunch of other log titles, and now I want to use them in the not to distant future.

Tosa's Log III: the search for trigger points
Tosa's Log IV: The voyage to Strength
Tosa's Log V: The Barbell Frontier
Tosa's Log VI: The Undiscovered Trigger Point

Tosa's Log VII: Goldbarbell
Tosa's Log VIII: Rolling Thunder
Tosa's Log IX: From Russia With Squats
Tosa's Log X: The Deadlift Who Loved Me
Tosa's Log XI: The Weight is Not Enough
Tosa's Log XII: Squat Another Day
Tosa's Log XIII: Live and Let Deadlift

Tosa's Log XIV: Lifters of the Lost Barbell
Tosa's Log XV: And The Squat of Doom
Tosa's Log XVI: And The Last Bench

Don't know.

James Bond.

Indiana Jones.

edit: did you come up with those? Some of them are awesome (from Russia with squats is my favourite)!

Can a log exist without pointless chatter ?

Don't know.

James Bond.

Indiana Jones.

edit: did you come up with those? Some of them are awesome (from Russia with squats is my favourite)!

Yep, exercising a bit of creative writing. The first set (and this log's title) are from the Star Trek movies.

Can a log exist without pointless chatter ?

Yes, in the same way that a person can exist paralyzed, blind and deaf, alive, but in a fate that's worse than death.

Yep, exercising a bit of creative writing. The first set (and this log's title) are from the Star Trek movies.

Yes, in the same way that a person can exist paralyzed, blind and deaf, alive, but in a fate that's worse than death.

Any terminator related titles ? Like "The Log where Tosa reveals he really is skynet?"

That's an outstanding comparison.

Any terminator related titles ? Like "The Log where Tosa reveals he really is skynet?".

Tosa's Log XVII: Judgement Set
Tosa's Log XVIII: Rise of The Machines (It's a pun!)

But Seriously
Tosa's Log XVIII: Rise of the Chin-ups
Tosa's Log XIX: The Strength Training Chronicles

Oh, and Planet of the Apes - actually those don't work so well. They all of "planet of the apes" in the title.

(Isn't it amazing how well 2001 holds up, even today?)

Even more so when you consider that quite a lot of the holds-up-wellness comes from the music, which was composed in 1896. Richard Strauss = Late Romantic weight class GOAT and P4P most underrated composer EVVA!!!!!!!!!

Even more so when you consider that quite a lot of the holds-up-wellness comes from the music, which was composed in 1896. Richard Strauss = Late Romantic weight class GOAT and P4P most underrated composer EVVA!!!!!!!!!

Except for "Daisy".

Apparently the plan originally was to create a soundtrack specifically for the movie, and public domain soundtrack was inserted as a temporary place holder. Which turned out so awesome they kept it.

Public domain soundtrack FTW!

You are by far one of the most interesting characters of sherdog (i mean that in the best way possible), yet I feel like I don't know much about you.

How long have you been lifting?

At one point did you stop going with a typical routine (something semi-generic written by a respected stength person in the faq) and start incorporating what you felt worked best for you?

What books on s&c would you recommend?

What books, sites, or articles do you think helped mold your mindset when it comes to the best way to train?

How much do you go off feel, and how much off what you have read?

I don't mean to throw too much at you at once, but I feel like you are one of the more knowledgable people here, do things a bit off the norm, could give someone like myself a ton of advice, and hopefully wouldn't mind doing so.

I also don't want this to sound too ass-kissy, so I'll end it by saying fuck you, asshole dickhead fuckface.

Thanks in advance.

You're quite creative with journal titles, the Deadlift who loved me made me laugh :)

Oh.....I'm assuming you're stretching your periformis regularly?

You are by far one of the most interesting characters of sherdog (i mean that in the best way possible), yet I feel like I don't know much about you.

At one point did you stop going with a typical routine (something semi-generic written by a respected stength person in the faq) and start incorporating what you felt worked best for you?

What books, sites, or articles do you think helped mold your mindset when it comes to the best way to train?

I don't mean to throw too much at you at once, but I feel like you are one of the more knowledgable people here, do things a bit off the norm, could give someone like myself a ton of advice, and hopefully wouldn't mind doing so.

I also don't want this to sound too ass-kissy, so I'll end it by saying fuck you, asshole dickhead fuckface.

Thanks in advance.

Drunk as shit when I posted this but I'm glad I did. I probably wouldn't have asked you sober, but it is stuff I have wondered before and if you have the time I'd love to hear the responses. I'm always trying to become more knowledgeable in s&c, but sometimes it can be tough to know what's legit and what's bullshit.

Sir, Gustav Mahler is easily the Late Romantc weight class GOAT. Strauss is highly regarded and well known amongst those who have an interest in such things, so I consider him properly rated and more of a post romantic figure. Good day

2012: a lifters oddysey sounds pretty cool

Drunk posts are interesting. I wonder what I would post drunk?

The story goes like this: I've never been athletic. In gym class I was the kid picked last before the fat kids. I started "exercising", knowing jack shit, but with the hopes of not embarrassing myself too much, especially when it came to stuff like shuttle runs and push-ups that some gym teachers are so fond of.

At one point I decided I wanted to do some weight lifting, because I was a skinny 130Lbs. But it was a BS routine given to me by a trainer. Gradually as I learned more, my training became less stupid, although it took quite a while.

As for following generic routines - At one point I followed Sheiko (which you can see in my previous log), but dropped it for glute pain getting in the way of deadlifts - and you can't really follow Sheiko without deadlifts. I also followed a routine, that while not generic, was suggested to me by one of the other lifters at my gym.

But other than that I haven't ever followed a generic routine. By the time I knew enough to follow a generic routine, I thought I knew enough not to.

The Science and Practice of Strength Training.
Managing the Training of Weightlifters
The Training of The Weightlifter
Practical Programming
Sheiko's book (or at least the first four translated chapters of eliteFTS)

I think those are most significant, (and often rereading those is better than reading something new) but I've read many, many other books, articles and sites. And much of it is nothing new, but when it is, or it's a different approach, it's worthwhile knowing.

I think it's also important for me to really think about what I read; does it make sense in terms of what I already know? Fit with the theories? Fit with my experiences? Fit with how other people train? All the pieces should fit together, if it's all correct. Someone who makes an effort to really understand the Science and Practice of Strength training would be more knowledgeable than someone who breezes through 100 books on strength training. Or so I think.

I also think I've been influenced by the gym I train at. Most of the guys there have, at some point, followed Sheiko, so there's a lot of Russian influence, even if most everyone is following their own routine. Volumes are generally high. Pretty much everyone squats and deadlifts more often than once a week. Some people use AMRAP sets fairly often. A goodly amount of assistance is done.

Experience and theory should match. If they don't, either the theory is wrong, you've misunderstood it, or you're not understanding your experiences correctly.

But on the topic of going by feel, I believe that every good routine needs some flexibility. If you're having a crappy day, and your lifts feel like shit, what do you do? If they feel great, how can you push yourself? Westside, Sheiko, 5/3/1, APRE, all answer these questions well.

Thanks in advance.

And fuck you too,

You're quite creative with journal titles, the Deadlift who loved me made me laugh :)

Oh.....I'm assuming you're stretching your periformis regularly?

Thank you, and yes I'm stretching my piriformis regularly. Although it's something I can occasionally get lazy with - I feel good, so I start to skip stretching sometimes, until I don't feel as good.

Back