• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top ten movies

1. No Country for Old Men
2. Sideways
3. Irreversible
4. Once Upon a Time in the West
5. The Dark Knight
6. The Wrestler
7. Barton Fink
8. Requiem for a Dream
9. Gone Girl
10. 21 Grams

So hard to do, there's so many good movies. Screw it, I'm putting series in there too.

Movies:
1. The Fountain
2. Shutter Island
3. Grave Of The Fireflies
4. Donnie Darko
5. The Pianist
6. No Country For Old Men
7. The Fly
8. Requim for a Dream
9. The Wrestler
10. The Talented Mr. Ripley
Honorable mentions: The Revenant, Prisoners, Interstellar, Fury Road, A History of Violence, In Bruges, Se7en, 21 Grams, The Departed, Bronson, The Hunt, Room

Series:
1. Deadwood
2. Arrested Development
3. Firefly
4. The Wire
5. The Sopranos
6. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
7. Peaky Blinders
8. Cowboy Bebop
9. American Gods
10. The Night Of
Honerable mentions: Game Of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Black Mirror, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Parks and Rec, Farscape, Misfits

Shutter Island sucked and Arrested Development is overrated, but otherwise good list. Everyone else's sucks.

2. Sideways
3. Irreversible
5. The Dark Knight
6. The Wrestler
7. Barton Fink
8. Requiem for a Dream
9. Gone Girl
10. 21 Grams

Shutter Island sucked and Arrested Development is overrated, but otherwise good list. Everyone else's sucks.
Sideways is an underrated one, yeah you too!

Nah, I really liked Shutter Island. I get why some might not, but there's a few scenes in there that I can honestly say is the best acting Dicaprio has done.

Arrested Development is a classic man. I didn't like the new season, and season three wasn't as great as 1 and 2, but otherwise it's one of my all time favourites. "Come on!", Busters hand, the chicken dance(s), "Always money in the banana stand", the charlie brown gag, Tobias getting sick, "the worlds fist analrapist", Franklin Bluth, I could go on. Lol I'm laughing my ass off just thinking about it.

there's a few scenes in there that I can honestly say is the best acting Dicaprio has done.

I would agree with you on that, but I think that's because DiCaprio is a legitimately bad actor. His performance in The Revenant was easily the worst performance to ever win Best Actor imo. And his performances in The Departed, The Great Gatsby, and Wolf of Wall Street were also laughably bad and drug down the movies as a whole.

Arrested Development is a classic man. I didn't like the new season, and season three wasn't as great as 1 and 2, but otherwise it's one of my all time favourites. "Come on!", Busters hand, the chicken dance(s), "Always money in the banana stand", the charlie brown gag, Tobias getting sick, "the worlds fist analrapist", Franklin Bluth, I could go on. Lol I'm laughing my ass off just thinking about it.

It's just a little too cartoonish and telegraphed for me. Community, King of the Hill, The Office: that's my type of humor.

2. Sideways
3. Irreversible
5. The Dark Knight
6. The Wrestler
7. Barton Fink
8. Requiem for a Dream
9. Gone Girl
10. 21 Grams

No country for old men is laughably overrated. Alot of your picks are good though and your arrested development critique is legit.

Conan the Barbarian
Robocop
Predator
Bullit
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
Braveheart
Highlander
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Halloween

Will follow @moreorless87 and do a looser list, just the first films that come to mind when I think about my favourites

Apocalypse Now
Embrace of the Serpent
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
The Tree of Wooden Clogs
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left For The East?
Wings of Desire
Mandara
There Will Be Blood
Winstanley
Days of Heaven
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
Withnail & I
The Godfather I & II
The Seventh Seal

Maybe missing some, but these are the ones that come to mind

edit: Inside Llewyn Davis another modern one

Last edited:
The Fountain
Stalker
Solaris (GOAT version, the the POS with George Clooney)
Andrei Rublev
The Sacrifice
Cyborg
The Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Wild Strawberries
For my silly/pulpy pick I’m going to go with Kill Bill. I could just as easily pick any number of Leone’s movies, LA Confidential, Silence of the Lambs... tons of amazing movies out there.

1, The Godfather
2, The godfather 2
3, Eyes Wide Shut
4, Good Will Hunting
5, Deliverance
6 Southern Comfort

Can't really decide what else would be in my top ten after these six off the top of my head.
But I also love Platoon, Seven, Goodfellas, Shawshank and a few more.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God

giphy.gif

01. Heavenly Creatures - 1994
02. Ran - 1985
03. Shadowlands - 1993
04. The Secret Garden - 1993
05. The Double Life Of Veronique - 1991
06. Three Colors: Red - 1994
07. Show Me Love - 1998
08. Aimee & Jaguar - 1999
09. Three O'Clock High - 1987
10. Sense And Sensibility - 1995
11. Das Boot: Director's Cut - 1981
12. Watership Down - 1978
13. Shattered Glass - 2003
14. Titus - 1999
15. Lars And The Real Girl - 2007
16. The Assassin Next Door - 2009
17. Earth - 1998
18. Whale Rider - 2002
19. The Descent - 2005
20. The Fly - 1986
21. The Secrets - 2007
22. Cracks - 2009
23. Persona - 1966
24. Together - 2000
25. Breathe - 2014

Lotta great films in there. I always forget about Kieslowski when it comes to favourite films/GOAT directors for some reason

01. Heavenly Creatures - 1994
02. Ran - 1985
03. Shadowlands - 1993
04. The Secret Garden - 1993
05. The Double Life Of Veronique - 1991
06. Three Colors: Red - 1994
07. Show Me Love - 1998
08. Aimee & Jaguar - 1999
09. Three O'Clock High - 1987
10. Sense And Sensibility - 1995
11. Das Boot: Director's Cut - 1981
12. Watership Down - 1978
13. Shattered Glass - 2003
14. Titus - 1999
15. Lars And The Real Girl - 2007
16. The Assassin Next Door - 2009
17. Earth - 1998
18. Whale Rider - 2002
19. The Descent - 2005
20. The Fly - 1986
21. The Secrets - 2007
22. Cracks - 2009
23. Persona - 1966
24. Together - 2000
25. Breathe - 2014
he said ten though; not twenty-five. @Zer unlike this post please. It’s only fair.

No country for old men is laughably overrated. Alot of your picks are good though and your arrested development critique is legit.

I really like NCFOM for a lot of reasons. It's a very simple and methodical film, but a lot can be read into it or projected onto it. I really enjoy Westerns, but it's generally a genre where 95% of the entries are complete crap, so getting a tight, suspenseful, and meaningful Western film is pretty great imo.

The Fountain
Stalker
Solaris (GOAT version, the the POS with George Clooney)
Andrei Rublev
The Sacrifice
Cyborg
The Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Wild Strawberries
For my silly/pulpy pick I’m going to go with Kill Bill. I could just as easily pick any number of Leone’s movies, LA Confidential, Silence of the Lambs... tons of amazing movies out there.

It worries me that you would need to clarify lol

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

It worries me that you would need to clarify lol
just scared someone would wander in who didn’t know Tarkovsky and assume I like George Clooney

I really like NCFOM for a lot of reasons. It's a very simple and methodical film, but a lot can be read into it or projected onto it. I really enjoy Westerns, but it's generally a genre where 95% of the entries are complete crap, so getting a tight, suspenseful, and meaningful Western film is pretty great imo.

I thought it was okay but your reasoning makes sense. Your right about the genre because most are too dated to hold up. Too generic. Too corny. I got you i just didn't love it.

Back