• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I finally saw it tonight.

I gave it a 9/10 because it delivered on the premise of what a Top Gun movie should be. More unintentional comedy than I expected but also hit some nice emotional notes.

Lots of fighter jets going fast.

Beach football scene was 80% less homoerotic vs. the original beach volleyball scene.

Nice send off for Val Kilmer. Nicely done. The female leads from 1986 did not fare as well. McGillis is unmentioned and apparently Meg Ryan has been dead for quite some time.

Overall, they did a great job on a sequel that was completely unnecessary but turned out to be a lotta fun
I do wish they had mentioned something about McGillis, even just a throwaway line from Jon Hamm like “cost you your career, cost you your wife.” Give a context and backstory in one sentence. Their relationship and her character was such a massive part of why the first one is looked back on so fondly imo.

I do wish they had mentioned something about McGillis, even just a throwaway line from Jon Hamm like “cost you your career, cost you your wife.” Give a context and backstory in one sentence. Their relationship and her character was such a massive part of why the first one is looked back on so fondly imo.

I believe they kind of did in a round about way. Something gets brought to Maverick and he says "that was over 30 years ago." I suppose you could take that comment and extrapolate it to her. They obviously liked each other. They hooked up, probably a few times, and then she moved to DC to focus on her career and that was that. Their whole relationship likely played out over a few months, and by the time of TGM.....that was over 30 years ago. So no real need to bring it up directly, other than to wink a the audience. We can be left to assume.

Plus, have you seen Kelly McGillis lately.
tumblr_nso81bHTiO1tq4of6o1_500.gifv

I believe they kind of did in a round about way. Something gets brought to Maverick and he says "that was over 30 years ago." I suppose you could take that comment and extrapolate it to her. They obviously liked each other. They hooked up, probably a few times, and then she moved to DC to focus on her career and that was that. Their whole relationship likely played out over a few months, and by the time of TGM.....that was over 30 years ago. So no real need to bring it up directly, other than to wink a the audience. We can be left to assume.

Plus, have you seen Kelly McGillis lately.
tumblr_nso81bHTiO1tq4of6o1_500.gifv
Yeah its not good but we cant all be young forever. It was never really explicitly stated in the original but I always got the vibe that at least the character was supposed to be a little older than him in the first place.

Was that not when they were talking about him being an instructor at Top Gun though? He said he wasn’t cut out to do it and lasted only a few weeks and that was 30 years ago

Saw it a couple days ago. One of
The best films I’ve ever seen.

My only real issue with the movie is the mediocre soundtrack and score. The soundtrack and score in the original was 10/10 amazing. The soundtrack and score here is like 5-6/10 max. Could have been a lot better.

Btw, odds on Top Gun 3? I feel the heads at Paramount are going to be begging Cruise for another one.

Felt the same about the soundtrack.

I'll say 50% aswell.

No doubt the studio will want to milk this for another go after the money it made. But as far as it happening there are a few big factors imo that will determine if it ever actually happens.

One is whether or not cruise will do it, and also whether they think they can do it without cruise and whether it would sell without him.

Another is how well the next two mission impossible films do...but from both sides. It will again shine some light on how the studio will perceive Cruise's selling power. But also if they are awesome movies and really kill it a Top Gun film after that might seem like overkill and played out.

I wouldnt put it past greedy execs to think they can recreate a similar experience with or without Cruise and pocket some easy sequel money. But I also wouldnt put it past Tom Cruise to try and top himself and return to this franchise again.

So yeah maybe 51% chance

I thought the movie was quite good but not like an all time great movie like everyone else seems to think. Then again I've never seen the original one

Yeah its not good but we cant all be young forever. It was never really explicitly stated in the original but I always got the vibe that at least the character was supposed to be a little older than him in the first place.
I suppose we can assume that too. (Not to mention Kelly McGillis was like 28 during filming and Tom was 23)

Was that not when they were talking about him being an instructor at Top Gun though? He said he wasn’t cut out to do it and lasted only a few weeks and that was 30 years ago

I can't remember exectly, other than he mentions he only lasted a couple of months. Which, if you really think about it, I feel like they missed a big opportunity there. If Maverick went right back to Top Gun to be an instructor after the first movie, Viper (likely) would have still been the CO there. Maverick seemed to respect Viper immensely, and vice versa. You'd think the two would have worked well together and Maverick wouldn't have gotten kicked out. He would have actually tried to work with Viper, and Viper would have let Maverick do his thing, to an extent, and protected him. But they seem to have not thought of this and just pushed Maverick like he was still the pre-Goose's death hot shot.

Last edited:
One is whether or not cruise will do it, and also whether they think they can do it without cruise and whether it would sell without him.

No way in hell would I want a Top Gun movie without Cruise. That'd be pretty much blasphemy!

I think it's safe to say both of the next two M:I's will hit at least $500 million a piece. And with TGM hitting at least a $1 Billion, the math works out to make another one. But yeah, I think it all comes down to if they can figure out a story or not. The DoD seems to be willing to work with them again, so no issues there.

I watched Schindler's List immediately afterwards and yeah it really doesn't hold up in a post-Top Gun Maverick world

Knowing that Maverick could of saved them all with ease, in color, while simultaneously taking out Hitler makes the movie less enjoyable.

I was going to pass but I heard good things and Dave Burke (who I've had the honor of meeting and deeply respect) worked on it so I'm going to have to check it out.

I went to see this the first time with the Missus and fuckin loved it. It had me from the opening credits and the intro to the original score. I never saw a movie twice in the theatre, but I took my Dad to see it on his birthday a week later. I knew he'd like it, he loves anything aviation and aerial combat related.

He hadn't been in the theatre since the 90's and he was like a giddy kid walking out. Twas worth it

Last edited:
Top Gun Maverick overtook Jurassic Park Dominion in daily box off receipts yesterday. Good chance it ascends back to #1 this weekend with the only new releases being Black Phone and Elvis. That would quite impressive for a movie on its 5th week of release. Anecdotally, my local cinema has put it back onto the IMAX screen supplanting JP.

Anyone see this in 4DX? It's supposedly returning to both IMAX and 4DX and I'd like to see it in one of them. I figure 4DX is the way to go for the "ride" aspect. I hear TGM may be the GOAT 4DX movie.

Top Gun Maverick overtook Jurassic Park Dominion in daily box off receipts yesterday. Good chance it ascends back to #1 this weekend with the only new releases being Black Phone and Elvis. That would quite impressive for a movie on its 5th week of release. Anecdotally, my local cinema has put it back onto the IMAX screen supplanting JP.
I knew it! The Jurassic World movies are abortions. It's a dead franchise as far as I'm concerned.

I knew it! The Jurassic World movies are abortions. It's a dead franchise as far as I'm concerned.

I watched the first one and said nope, this is the same as Transformers, Independence Day 2, Fast and the Furious etc. Way too much funding and audience money is going into this junk.

I watched the first one and said nope, this is the same as Transformers, Independence Day 2, Fast and the Furious etc. Way too much funding and audience money is going into this junk.

To be fair I think Fast and Furious at least had something to maintain a franchise in a decent set of characters who could be plugged into these adventures, the others really the "franchise" was based on carrying on CGI FX and a (un)healthy dose of nostalgia.

To be fair I think Fast and Furious at least had something to maintain a franchise in a decent set of characters who could be plugged into these adventures, the others really the "franchise" was based on carrying on CGI FX and a (un)healthy dose of nostalgia.

I would say there were a couple characters. The others just seemed to become staples through repeated exposure rather than development, but to be fair I haven't watched them all.

To be honest I found Kevin Dunn as Shia's Dad to be the most likable character from either franchise.

Back