• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I'm going this weekend, my brother talked me into it. It's been out long enough I should be able to have enough room where I don't have to smell some random strangers farts... I like going to the movies but I hate nothing more than a packed theater.

Same, going this Saturday morning. The theater is empty so I'm good.

Tom Cruise doesn't age hes 10 years older than me and looks 35. All toms I think have that trait... ppl say i look 35 at 51

if the original was a an 8 or 9 or 10, i don't see how anyone could give the same rating...movie is decent at best

I don’t remember that. I just figured that the director made a conscious decision not to name a specific country, as to not alienate foreign markets.

I just assumed that it was probably somewhere in Iran as:

- Snowy, mountainous terrain.
- Country wants to acquire nuclear weapons.
- The mission was localized and did not trigger WW3.

Sure, they have Russian military equipment such as the Hind D helicopters. But, I’m sure they could have bought them from Russia in some future scenario.

Plus Iran is now the only country with F-14s. Sadly, the US destroyed all of their Tomcats (except for the few on display at museums) after it was retired from service.

if the original was a an 8 or 9 or 10, i don't see how anyone could give the same rating...movie is decent at best

I just recently rewatched the original with my wife. Movie is a 6 at best.

Plus Iran is now the only country with F-14s. Sadly, the US destroyed all of their Tomcats (except for the few on display at museums) after it was retired from service.

Personally, I’m glad that they didn’t specifically name a country and kept the focus on the characters and the main storyline.

For me, the main themes of the movie are about friendship, overcoming fears and being the best that you can be. Also, a redemption arc for Maverick, as he was still haunted by what happened to Goose and was able to make amends with Rooster. On top of all of that rekindle his passion for flying and finally find a long lasting romantic relationship.

Adding scenes of Iran and generic bad guys plotting to take over the world, would have probably taken away from all of that.

Also, Iran is a huge country with a long history and many cultures, there is no need to explicitly attack them in a movie and alienate audiences.

Last edited:
Also, Iran is a huge country with a long history and many cultures, there is no need to explicitly attack them in a movie and alienate audiences.

Who would be alienated by using Iran as the badguys? The "that's racist" crowd? They're alienated by everything so fuck them. As for Iran itself, I doubt they will ever get to see this movie. So really, I think if they did name Iran as the badguys it'd be a non-issue. (Plus, it's a movie not based on real life so doubly who cares)

That being said, neither in the original nor in this was it ever important who the badguys were. We could always assume it was some commie country, but which one didn't matter. It's always been about the goodguys and their journey.

- The military is pushing toward unmanned drones. That’s where the budget is going and that’s why the fighter jets are a generation behind.

The US has the most 5th generation fighter jets in the world.

Why didn't the enemy follow with more jets after they got attacked? Why didn't they attack the aircraft carrier?

Why didn't the enemy follow with more jets after they got attacked? Why didn't they attack the aircraft carrier?

The navy ship fired tomahawks at the enemy airstrip.

Who would be alienated by using Iran as the badguys? The "that's racist" crowd? They're alienated by everything so fuck them. As for Iran itself, I doubt they will ever get to see this movie. So really, I think if they did name Iran as the badguys it'd be a non-issue. (Plus, it's a movie not based on real life so doubly who cares)

That being said, neither in the original nor in this was it ever important who the badguys were. We could always assume it was some commie country, but which one didn't matter. It's always been about the goodguys and their journey.

Iran is a huge country with a population of over 80 million and diaspora all over the world. I guess some of them would be westernized and be interested in watching Top Gun? Granted, this is admittedly a small percentage of the share of the audience/customers.

Don’t worry. I wasn’t referring to the Twitter twits that are offended at everything. F**k them.

Last edited:

The base with their backup was destroyed and we can assume there wasn't another base nearby that could help. Also, the carrier was way out at sea. Very few countries would have the ability to strike a US carrier way out at sea, let alone have it be a successful strike. Maybe China?

I dont get why they didn't use like a f 117 stealth bomber to destroy the sams first or maybe like an an ac130 gunship or like 4 ac130s then followed by those missles the carrier used to destroy the enemies air strip then just come in heavy with like 20 of those top gun pilots after gettimg rid of the sams they would have had all time in the world and the element of surprise on the enemies jets

do you think carriers travel alone? There’s a whole crew of support ships that would shoot down anything and everything getting anywhere near it

Just saw this today, great summer blockbuster. A simple story executed extremely well with no excess bs thrown in. I heard two guys whistling the theme walking by as I waited for my daughter outside the restroom. Big smiles on their faces. As has been said before go see this in the theater if you can.

They did not. I saw it for a second time yesterday. No country name ever comes up. NATO is the only mention of any entity.
I could have swore they said "Iranian" but I saw it again yesterday and Warlock says "Urianium". So that's what threw me off. They sound really close.

When I walked out of the theater yesterday I heard this dumb bitch calling the movie "cheesy." She must have said it 14 times to the guy she was with. Was offended.
<Prem974>

Back