top control (wrestling)

TKMaxx715

saggy pants
@Blue
Reaction score
ive been seeing a lot of posts about wrestling takedowns lately which have opened a wide array of takedowns taht ive been trying with some success. A lot of these takedowns i had not seen in class (some i have) due to a lot of coach's preferences in their takedowns so its nice to have a forum that shows different techniques.

My biggest problem however lies in top control. After i get the takedown i will sometimes just let him escape so that i dont get reveresed and stuck in a pin because im so bad at top control. My favorite at the moment is cradle but i cant get it all the time.

Any suggestions?

TKMaxx715 said:
ive been seeing a lot of posts about wrestling takedowns lately which have opened a wide array of takedowns taht ive been trying with some success. A lot of these takedowns i had not seen in class (some i have) due to a lot of coach's preferences in their takedowns so its nice to have a forum that shows different techniques.

My biggest problem however lies in top control. After i get the takedown i will sometimes just let him escape so that i dont get reveresed and stuck in a pin because im so bad at top control. My favorite at the moment is cradle but i cant get it all the time.

Any suggestions?

Well in general try to stay as tight to the person you're fighting as you can. You don't want to land loose and lose grip or get countered when you hit the ground.
Also try to work your technique in your takedowns. I had a hard time doing a shoulder throw into N/S because I was muscling it too much - sending the guy at a foreword angle instead of straight down.

Besides that, drill doing certain moves into groundfighting transition. Definetly pick up a DVD, like Gholar's vale tudo takedowns (It's only $30 bucks.)

Yeh make sure u r on your opponent the whole way down to reduce his chance of escaping then just grind into your opponent and hold him down to pin him or if hes on his stomach I usually go for the half nelson and just jam it on.

Back