Top 10 Awful American Remakes of Great British Shows

squeezewax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I actually thought the Dr Who movie was ok.

The American version of Red Dwarf was awful.

There was an American Red Dwarf?!?

Don't think it ever actually aired did it?

I think the problem with that and the likes of The Young Ones and Fawlty Towers is that the American remake thought the appeal was in the basic setup when in reality it was in the characters and actually subverting that setup.

Something like the IT crowd for example has a genuine strangeness to its world rather than just being endless nerd jokes ala The Big Bang Theory.

Never really understood why they don't just stick to airing the originals. It's not like there's a language barrier.

They have TV in Great Britain?

Any attempts at Sherlock that aren't BBC's

I'm supprised we didn't see an American attempt at Father Ted, maybe a bit too scared about pissing off the bible belt? the original wasn't really anti religious though.

Threes Company was a rip but it was better

Didn’t ITV remake Tony Danzig vehicle Who’s the Boss? with Joe McGann in the lead role? Talk about flogging a dead horse.

I never saw the Brit version, but American Idol was entertaining for the first few seasons as long as you watched it for the comedy and not for the so-called talent.

And yet the Brits copy terrible shows like Jersey Shore by bestowing upon us The Only Way is Essex and Made in Chelsea.

Back