Too Sore?

king56

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just recently worked out hard for the first time in a while, going hard for two day doing squats, deadlifts, lunges, bench press, and rows. I am in decent shape, but not really "weight lifting" shape... I expected I would be sore as hell the next days. (I kinda like that sore feeling)

I was right, but it was worse than I thought! My ass and legs feel as though they have been beaten with a a baseball bat! I was wondering if it is possible to OVER LIFT and become more sore than it is healthy to be? Is this common to overtrain on weights? Or am I just being a pussy and should continue lifting hard even though my body feels like I have been beat down?

THanks

DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

It means you're going to die.

No you idiot, it means you haven't lifted for a while. Don't go so hard, ease your way back into the routine. Do some active recovery, stretch, foam roller, contrast showers, that sort of thing.

It is not good, but it won't kill you.

You really should have known better though. You need to ease back into lifting. you don't get stronger by being too sore to work out.

my question is: should i keep lifting even though I am REALLY DAMN SORE.

Would it be worse to keep doing it and overtain, or just keep lifting and hope that the soreness goes away.

my question is: should i keep lifting even though I am REALLY DAMN SORE.

Would it be worse to keep doing it and overtain, or just keep lifting and hope that the soreness goes away.

Workout while sore.

People overuse the phrase "Over training"

The only times I get "too sore" are when I don't eat enough and especially when I don't eat at the most an hour after I work out. If you have questions on exactly what to eat then check out the D&S forum.

If on a scale of 1-10, one being barely sore and 10 being the worst pain you've ever felt in your life, you are at a 7 or below, you're fine. If it feels EXCRUCIATING, and you can't move, see a doc. It's a personal thing you're going to have to guage, if your piss turns red/brown/black get your ass to an ER cause you're losing muscle tissue (and kidney function, but who cares... they have dialysis for that!). Otherwise, just rest up. it's going to get worse for two days before it gets better.

Contrast showers (30 seconds hot, 30 seconds cold x 5-10), 10 fish oil caps a day, 5 g creatine daily, a good post workout drink, 5 minutes of light cardio to cool down, lots of fruits and veggies, and appropriate protein consumption will help reduce soreness in the future. For now, pop some ibuprofen if you need to function, and go for a swim for recovery purposes.

When I went in for the BS personal trainer session a couple weeks back I did calf raises that made me walk funny for a week... I hate calf raises... buncha bullshit.

Body just getting use to it. I couldnt do any sort excerise that required putting pressure on your ankle for 3 weeks when i very badly bruised it. When i went back to DL and squats i kept it light and was still more sore than normal. Should have eased back in with a couple light weeks.

Contrast showers, foam rollers, and active recovery (light weight of the same excercise thats killing you. or just some cardio) have always done the job for me

I'd chill for a bit, but many believe it to be okay to just push through it, and I'm no expert.

Happens a lot when just getting into lifting, could be party attributed to genetics as well. Ease into it.

Back