• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Too short for the power rack! Need suggestions

SteelFlex

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I started working out in the university gym today. Currently in my second week of Starting Strength after a long hiatus from lifting. Obviously squats is the foundation of the program. Much to my dismay though, my school's "power racks" are the open racks usually used for military presses I guess. I didn't think anything of it as I started to squat warmup sets until there was a loud BANG.

I'm not incredibly short but I guess I'd be considered short at 5'5. Apparently, when I aim for ATG squat (the only way I really know how), it gets caught on the safety racks. It's not adjustable nor is it removable. The entire 3 sets I did, I pretty much had to deload on the bottom of my squat and squat the weight back up again.

Any solutions? The gym also has another rack, same thing except without the safety catches and I don't feel comfortable just squatting in the open.

I was thinking maybe putting 45 pound plates under my feet to give me another inch or so? Would stacking two be dangerous?

dude just learn how to dump a squat properly and squat outside the rack. They don't have safety catches in powerlifting meets.

I usually do all but my heaviest squats without safeties. If your at constant risk of failing reps, you're probably doing too much.

I'm 6' exactly and still have to step outside on the squat racks.

Yeah you're gonna have to step outside the rack. It's not a huge deal, just learn how to dump the weight.

Please don't stand on plates while squatting. Bad idea.

I was thinking maybe putting 45 pound plates under my feet to give me another inch or so? Would stacking two be dangerous?

thts a great idea. but make sure u rub the plates with oil or some lubricant so they dont scratch each other or the floor.

You're referring to a squat rack. What your gym needs is a power rack.

I don't think I've seen anyone fail a squat at my gym. Like DLs, start low and slowly build. If you're failing, your going to heavy anyway.

I ALWAYS squat without catches, and bench without a spotter (not really by choice, but just out of necessity). You don't have to train to failure on every set to progress...train heavy, train hard, but train safe. If you have to cut your set to 4 reps instead of 5, then do it. If you are unsure of if you can safely complete a rep, just don't attempt it. At the time, it might seem important. But in the overall progression of your training, it's a minuscule, minute, issue. Do what is comfortable and safe, but do it intensely.

EDIT: I used to work comfortable in there. Probably shouldn't have. You shouldn't be "comfortable" when you are squatting heavy...quite the opposite. But don't be lifting so heavy that you are worrying about technique breakdown or worrying about safe completion or reps.

Uh.. get taller? I've never had that problem. Just sayin...

dude just learn how to dump a squat properly and squat outside the rack. They don't have safety catches in powerlifting meets.

So how do you dump a squat properly? I've always had a squat / power rack to catch me when I fail. Usually, it's because I can't get back out of the bottom of the lift.

Everyone is missing out on a key part of what he said:

He is squatting ATG, and it sounds like he only needs a few more inches of room. Problem solved.

The actual starting strength program (YNDTP) doesn't involve ATG squat. You just need to break parallel or come right to it.

He is squatting ATG, and it sounds like he only needs a few more inches of room. Problem solved.

The actual starting strength program (YNDTP) doesn't involve ATG squat. You just need to break parallel or come right to it.

That's true if you believe he's actually squatting ATG.

Since he's doing SS and likely doing low bar squats, I doubt he's going ATG.

Get a friend to shatter your femurs and attach you to a medieval torture rack and gradually stretch you out. Your Femur's will grow longer than before.

Good luck.

Sounds like learning to dump the bar is your best bet.

TS, I would squat outside the rack and use a spotter anytime there is a chance I might miss a rep. My gym has a non-adjustable rack and the few people who squat and are too short for it do exactly that.

Ιf a person can squat ATG with proper form, and has no sport-specific reason to limit his ROM, then the best thing for them would be to keep squatting ATG.

Ιf a person can squat ATG with proper form, and has no sport-specific reason to limit his ROM, then the best thing for them would be to keep squatting ATG.

That may be the case but if he doesn't trust himself squatting without the catches, I don't see where there is a compelling reason to squat ATG when he could just go to parallel and get the desired effects. Especially since he is just getting back into lifting he may be still getting used to things. You guys are probably more experienced lifters, but as for me, being a beginner, I don't like squatting without the catches either.

I just think if you have the option between being nervous about your squat and going ATG, or being completely confident and just breaking parallel, personally I'd go with the later.

But it sounds like those are the two options!

I personally don't think this is a better option than squatting outside of the racks, and the reason is that if you're squatting inside a rack that you'll hit if you go ATG, you'll always be in "danger" of hitting the racks if you go too low. So, when squatting, your focus will probably be at least partly on the racks that you're in danger of hitting.

TS, my recommendation is to squat outside the rack and know your limits. It's a good idea for everyone who squats to have at least some concept of how to dump the weight anyway, and this is particularly true for those who are squatting outside the racks. Of course, I've always thought it much easier to dump a low-bar squat with wide hand placement, so it might depend on your style. I have squatted outside of a rack and have never had an issue, partly because I haven't failed a squat in a long while. And in the rare moments that I have, it's been either during a 20-rep set (light enough to dump it with no problems) or during a 1RM test, and in those cases, I'll always grab two spotters and stick them on the ends.

Anyway, that's my advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back