Too many fighters have unfair physical advantages!!

s1fys

abc
@Brown
Reaction score
Seriously, is MMA is the only sport where athletes get shit for having natural advantages. How often do you hear people complaining about:

-Usain bolt's height and long legs?
-Phelps's height and wingspan?
-Yao Ming's height and huge hands?
-Jordan's height and athleticism?

The point of any real sport (which means excluding golf, bowling, archery etc) is to gain an advantage over one's opponent using wits and physical superiority.

I wonder how many people on Sherdog actually play sports.

Jordan's height and athleticism?

Anyway, I'm already bored talking about this. Everyone saw Jones was a normal fighter when he had to face someone who was his size/frame. He's not as gifted as many wanted to think, but he's one hell of a gutsy fighter and certainly did well to not fold or get frustrated. He's just not the God fanboys.... or anti-haters, wanted to believe he was.

Meanwhile, haters have fuel now and will moan and moan he needs to move up, when it's clear he could only be a Cruiserweight fighter and not a Heavyweight contender.

It's almost unfortunate to me that he is the size he is.... because he's in a weird middle ground without a Cruiserweight division to play in.

I height mattered that much Sky scrapper would be champ

And Cain wouldn't have beaten JDS. Timmeh wouldn't have had his arm broken by Mir. Forrest wouldn't have been knocked unconscious by Anderson and Rashad and Shogun. Rampage would be 3 and 0 against Wand. The list goes on and on and on...

Im not sure why this thread exists.

Other sports don't ever talk about theoretical "p4p" topics, so its never a subject of discussion. Obviously physical tools have a huge impact on peoples success in ANY sport. Hell, you practically can't play basketball unless you are like 6'6.

Jordan's height and athleticism?

Anyway, I'm already bored talking about this. Everyone saw Jones was a normal fighter when he had to face someone who was his size/frame. He's not as gifted as many wanted to think, but he's one hell of a gutsy fighter and certainly did well to not fold or get frustrated. He's just not the God fanboys.... or anti-haters, wanted to believe he was.

Meanwhile, haters have fuel now and will moan and moan he needs to move up, when it's clear he could only be a Cruiserweight fighter and not a Heavyweight contender.

It's almost unfortunate to me that he is the size he is.... because he's in a weird middle ground without a Cruiserweight division to play in.

Yes but he didn't look normal just because he fought someone his size/frame. He looked normal because he fought a great fighter who happens to have the same physical advantages as him.

Jones could still beat 99% of the >6'4 LHWs.

Other sports don't ever talk about theoretical "p4p" topics, so its never a subject of discussion. Obviously physical tools have a huge impact on peoples success in ANY sport. Hell, you practically can't play basketball unless you are like 6'6.

this

I height mattered that much Sky scrapper would be champ

Struve is also horrible at using his height. He just covers up and lets everyone walk in on him.

Jones on the other-hand is the best in the business at using that range.

-Jordan's height and athleticism?

k

LOL

I'll say the same thing I said in another thread, his reach isn't the SOLE reason he's champion, but it's probably the main reason. He's definitely not the most skilled fighter, but his size negates most of his weaknesses.

Real talk- It seems most participants on Sherdog are fat, don't wacth sport and more importanly have never engaged in athletic activity. So they complain about physical attrubutes or athletisism.

Sure there is. One of the favorite pastimes of any stick and ball sport fan is discussing and debating who the greatest to ever play the sport, or the greatest playing the sport at the moment, is.

People who don't have unfair physical advantages don't make it to the top level of any sport.

Hence why you have fighters who cycle steroids, use hgh, and epo.

If they didn't, the same genetic freak of nature fighters would dominate their divisions their entire careers.

Yes, the conversation is very stupid. There are numerous other physical advantages that fighters enjoy, that are not as obvious as height and reach. "he's too strong for the division" and "he's too fast for the division" or "he's too athletic for the division" said NO ONE, EVER.

It still makes no sense. Having an advantage is having an advantage, doesn't matter if it's skill, or anatomy, or whatever.

Back