• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tony is not a boxer - he is a Wing Chun/dirty boxing type fighter. He uses strategy he beats Gaethje

Are you assuming Tony wasn't trying to close the distance, or engage in close quarters? Everytine he did he either took a brutal leg kick, or power shots to the face. Kind of hard to close the distance when someone is literally breaking the bones in your face.

I really dont see any real wingchun in the Way he fights. I reckon it is at most just the garnishing but the meat of what ferguson does is muay thai, western martial sports and eddie bravo's bjj. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson only mentioned wingchun to indirect his opponents and mess with their minds.

Standing in the pocket and striking is not his game. He usually gets dropped when he does this even in most of his wins.

Close in elbows, trapping, dirty boxing and clinch work is his bread and butter.
If he actually uses his correct strategy (and has proper coaching telling him so) to fight, he beats Gaethje and 95% of guys.

Telephone box pressure is what it's about

Last edited:
The Matrix is the amateur. You clearly see that it's not people fighting, just striking poses.

This is how professionals do it. No CGI. Just skill.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Bro I got some timeshare to sell

What happens in Tonys fights is that during the exchanges he triggers his opponent with taunts and craziness. This makes them want to take his block off and overcommit to some degree. But Justin wasnt having it. He started composed for most of the fight and when he did start to go off the rails his coach brought him right back to reallity

I love Tony but hes close to being stopped several times in the past,toughness can only get you out of situations for so long. Plus Justin is a much superior striker Tony probably foolishly thought he could strike with him maybe underestimated him.

Tony did what he always does. I've never seen him adjust his fight style for his opponent and I'm not sure that he can.

He just came up against a guy who was ready for him. Didn't back off and smashed him when his forward pressure brought him into the pocket.

You could see Justin was working to a game plan designed for Tony.

Yeh he punished any mistakes Tony made , Justin fought an almost perfect fight.

Bro I got some timeshare to sell
Idiot. The movie's from 1989. Made in Hong Kong. At a low budget. They had talent. Not computers. We call it pre-CGI. Of course, if you don't have talent and can't do it, you die.

Don't take this the wrong way. Hong Kong stuntmen don't die. They die in Hollywood, because of amateurism, disregard for human life, lax safety standards and, ultimately, the bottom line. Just look at this shit show: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-Evil-stunt-woman-reveals-twisted-crash.html

Am I the only one who thinks of chicken wings when they see "Wing Chun"?

Yeh he punished any mistakes Tony made , Justin fought an almost perfect fight.

I know that on Sherdog you are the GOAT when you win a fight an a scrub when you lose one.

But I'm not saying that Tony is a scrub or that he wouldn't win a rematch. It would still be a pickem if they fought again imo.

Justin is better. Quit making excuses.

He's also a far better technical striker than most of us gave him credit for.

I, and I think many, fans regarded him as a tough-nosed, high-volume brawler. But he can pick his shots like a surgeon. His timing AND power were exquisite.

Are you assuming Tony wasn't trying to close the distance, or engage in close quarters? Everytine he did he either took a brutal leg kick, or power shots to the face. Kind of hard to close the distance when someone is literally breaking the bones in your face.

He wasn't trying enough to get into close range and he wasnt using his trapping and parrying skills to reach first to get there and control Gaethje hands but was standing in the pocket way too much trying to box.

A leg kick will not stop you from getting into a clinch position. Similarly he was eating punches outside but he could have shot in for a clinch position and then worked out from there with strikes as he has done many times before.
It is a different approach.

Justin is a much superior striker Tony probably foolishly thought he could strike with him maybe underestimated him.

Yes basically this. By rd 2 it was clear he wasn't going to win a boxing match, but there is a hell of alot more he could have done on the feet, he should've used dirty boxing was how he could have had success.

I really dont see any real wingchun in the Way he fights. I reckon it is at most just the garnishing but the meat of what ferguson does is muay thai, western martial sports and eddie bravo's bjj. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson only mentioned wingchun to indirect his opponents and mess with their minds.

There are numerous clips now of Tony training Wing Chun, and Bravo has said he incorporates it alot and spends sometimes hours on the wooden dummy.
There is also some overlap between MT technique and WC, but he clearly is incorporating more the WC style into his fighting.

Show me one gif of Tony clinching, please.

Maybe your right, when I say 'clinch' I mean up close and brief control and strike. But hes definitely not using much a Muay Thai or greco style clinch more Wing Chun style trapping and strike up close especially elbows.
In fact he uses alot of the same skils off his back to hit with elbows and control from the ground as well as on the feet.
Amazed how people are writing him off so quickly (well maybe not since this is sherdog). Whomever he fights next is in for a brutal beating.

Last edited:
Fair enough he trains at times on the Muk Yan Jong but what I was asking related to what he actually does in the octagon. Do you have any clips where he has actually clearly used a wingchun technique during any of his fights?

There are numerous clips now of Tony training Wing Chun, and Bravo has said he incorporates it alot and spends sometimes hours on the wooden dummy.
There is also some overlap between MT technique and WC, but he clearly is incorporating more the WC style into his fighting.

Maybe your right, when I say 'clinch' I mean up close and brief control and strike. But hes definitely not using much a Muay Thai or greco style clinch more Wing Chun style trapping and strike up close especially elbows.
In fact he uses alot of the same skils off his back to hit with elbows and control from the ground as well as on the feet.
Amazed how people are writing him off so quickly (well maybe not since this is sherdog). Whomever he fights next is in for a brutal beating.

He wasn't trying enough to get into close range and he wasnt using his trapping and parrying skills to reach first to get there and control Gaethje hands but was standing in the pocket way too much trying to box.

A leg kick will not stop you from getting into a clinch position. Similarly he was eating punches outside but he could have shot in for a clinch position and then worked out from there with strikes as he has done many times before.
It is a different approach.

Yes basically this. By rd 2 it was clear he wasn't going to win a boxing match, but there is a hell of alot more he could have done on the feet, he should've used dirty boxing was how he could have had success.

A leg kick will absolutely stop you from entering a clinch position. Especially when those leg kicks are buckling your knees and causing you to stumble forward with your chin out. Rewatch the fight and see how many times, Tony tried to circle in or press forward and was hit with a leg kick, followed by a straight or a cross. Tony is a phenomenal fighter and beats most of the top 10. I just don't think his style matches well with JG. Stylistically I think the toughest matches for Gaethje will always be someone with crisp ,sharp, technically sound boxing, with enough pop to snap his head back (i.e Poirer)

Fair enough he trains at times on the Muk Yan Jong but what I was asking related to what he actually does in the octagon. Do you have any clips where he has actually clearly used a wingchun technique during any of his fights?

There are numerous clips of him using WC. Ultimately it is a training methodology and tactics not just a set of techniques. You don't say, "look, did that guy just use a boxing technique?" It is a way of fighting.
Trapping, parrying, controlling and hitting. There are example in the elbows clip I posted.

I also made a thread analyzing this awhile ago with the Pettis fight.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/wing-chun-in-mma-the-case-of-tony-ferguson.3847749/

A leg kick will absolutely stop you from entering a clinch position. Especially when those leg kicks are buckling your knees and causing you to stumble forward with your chin out. Rewatch the fight and see how many times, Tony tried to circle in or press forward and was hit with a leg kick, followed by a straight or a cross. Tony is a phenomenal fighter and beats most of the top 10. I just don't think his style matches well with JG. Stylistically I think the toughest matches for Gaethje will always be someone with crisp ,sharp, technically sound boxing, with enough pop to snap his head back (i.e Poirer)

An interesting discussion itself, but no a leg kick will not stop you clinching all the time. Maybe sometimes if timed right but Tony was not either shooting in fast to clinch nor using trapping to close distance. See the Pettis fight where he does this much better and uses his hands to reach in to control first before coming in with elbows. He didn't apply good game plan or maybe his timing was off against Gaethje.

Just rewatching this fight, especially n this vid; shit was a brutal beat down.

If I didn’t know better, would appear as 2 different levels of skill.
By the end almost looks like JG had let up off the gas.
Can’t get inside when you are getting thumped and JG pivots out.

Tony’s actual style is called get hit in the face a lot, throw weird uppercuts and elbows, have good chin/cardio, and jump on them darce chokes

also sometimes spin

Back