• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tony is not a boxer - he is a Wing Chun/dirty boxing type fighter. He uses strategy he beats Gaethje

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
Standing in the pocket and striking is not his game. He usually gets dropped when he does this even in most of his wins.

Close in elbows, trapping, dirty boxing and clinch work is his bread and butter.
If he actually uses his correct strategy (and has proper coaching telling him so) to fight, he beats Gaethje and 95% of guys.

Telephone box pressure is what it's about

Gaethje is better in the clinch than Tony and is an extremely good dirty boxer, I wouldn't see that working out well for him either.

Standing in the pocket and striking is not his game. He usually gets dropped when he does this even in most of his wins.

Close in elbows, trapping, dirty boxing and clinch work is his bread and butter.
If he actually uses his correct strategy (and has proper coaching telling him so) to fight, he beats Gaethje and 95% of guys.

Everytime he got close he got lit up. I don't see that fight ending any different in a rematch, except maybe Justin gets it done quicker.

I can almost guarantee that Tony will not be the same guy after that beating. I dont see him beating Gaethje, Dustin and Khabib. He is still a bad matchup for Conor, though.

Wing Chun ?
tumblr_pcqp5pM1R01rmrpdmo2_400.gif

4HyN.gif

tumblr_pcqp5pM1R01rmrpdmo1_400.gifv

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_mmtc5p6GJa1rmceijo1_500.gif

that's the shit that looks flashy but 99 out of 100 times doesnt work in mma or real fighting

they dont spar....they dont test their shit against other styles or in a combat format.

Well he had a a chance but Justin beat his ass.

Would have could have should have

I don't know, should probably have completed an imanari roll or something

Acceptance is the first step. This wasn’t like GSP getting caught in rd 1. This was a systematic beatdown over a prolonged period.

You’ll come to see that the better fighter won, someday.

Don't know about that chief, Tony got lit up in every distance. Besides, i seriously doubt Tony will ever be the same, he's 36 and just took a BEATING. That fight was brutal for him, he took a crazy amount of damage, Tony probably loses to Khabib, Conor and Poirier, especially after that fight.

He didn't look explosive in the fight, he never really looks strong but in that fight he probably looked the weakest we've seen, don't get me wrong it could have been that he cut weight 3 weeks before the fight. But it could simply be that he's 36. And his brain took a beating, don't think his chin will be the same after that. Not to mention his orbital which is a bad injury

I disagree. As long as Justin Gaethje stays disciplined, then the best Tony Ferguson isn't beating him. By being disciplined, Justin Gaethje took away one of Tony Ferguson's biggest the weapons. The scramble.

Tony has caught a few people with sharp elbows and submissions in scrambles and in positions where the opponent thinks he has the upper hand, For example, Edson Barbosa and Kevin Lee come to mind.

If Kevin Lee had mental discipline, then he would have easily beaten Tony Ferguson. He was caught in a very sloppy submission.

Justin Gaethje stayed disciplined and he had the endurance to maintain that discipline. With the same focus and endurance, he beats Tony Ferguson more times than Tony Ferguson beats him. He is a bad style match-up for Tony.

It's funny you say that since i say the same thing about Gaethje; his greatest strengths can be in the clinch.

Of course he always says he doesn't want to use his wrestling to take guys down because he wants to put on a show (personally i love seeing strong grapplers put their skills into action, but that's how he feels), but clinchfighting is a fair compromise. He could beat anyone in the division by pushing them up against the cage and lighting them up with knees and elbows.

Last edited:
Tony did what he always does. I've never seen him adjust his fight style for his opponent and I'm not sure that he can.

He just came up against a guy who was ready for him. Didn't back off and smashed him when his forward pressure brought him into the pocket.

You could see Justin was working to a game plan designed for Tony.

Back