News Tony Hawk did a trick THIS YEAR that I've never seen anybody do before

iirc the only two guys who have come close are carlos lastra and Johnny giger but they still have a hard time landing his tricks.

Are you talking about his freestyle flatground tricks? Other than that, skateboarding has progressed so far past that on street. Guys are doing things Rodney wouldn't dream of doing. You can argue Mullen is by far the greatest innovator for street, but people have built upon and far exceeded.

No matter how many tricks he invented, he will always have an ugly style.

Are you talking about his freestyle flatground tricks? Other than that, skateboarding has progressed so far past that on street. Guys are doing things Rodney wouldn't dream of doing. You can argue Mullen is by far the greatest innovator for street, but people have built upon and far exceeded.

I agree with most of that, except for the "far exceeded" part.

Dude, there is no skateboarder today that can do all the tricks rodney did decades back. There is literally no one that can do all that....except for Mullen. You have to realize, he did half of his tricks switch stance. That's something a lot of ppl don't seem to realize about him.

I wouldn't call it ugly. But it's definitely unique to him.

Guys like Christian Hosoi were way more fun to watch skate. They had a more pleasing style.

Edit: wait are you talking about Tony or Mullen? I thought you were talking about Tony.

I agree with most of that, except for the "far exceeded" part.

Dude, there is no skateboarder today that can do all the tricks rodney did decades back. There is literally no one that can do all that....except for Mullen. You have to realize, he did half of his tricks switch stance. That's something a lot of ppl don't seem to realize about him.

With Rodney's freestyle background, of course it is going to be hard to stack up to some of the shit he did as it is based in freestyle which is pretty much dead. With that said, he couldn't touch what a lot of pros do now - and I'm not talking about large gaps and handrails. Look at what guys like Sewa, Aurelian, Luan, Shane O' Neil, etc. The consistency that they pull on flatground, ledges, manuals, etc. is unreal - and with good style. Again, I'm not knocking Mullen, but a lot of people that comment on it really haven't followed where skateboarding has gone. You can just follow the Berrics on Instagram and see a ton of crazy shit nowadays even by lesser known skaters. Rodney wasn't some kind of cyborg - of course there are going to be skaters out there that have exceeded that since we are decades past.

Guys like Christian Hosoi were way more fun to watch skate. They had a more pleasing style.

Edit: wait are you talking about Tony or Mullen? I thought you were talking about Tony.

His criticism could apply to either.

I used to do this trick I called "walking the dog" that was amazing. Nobody else could do it but me

If you want a good dose of what I'm talking about, watch his Second Hand Smoke part after the freestyle stuff. It starts at 1:17. Honestly, besides the darkslide and casper variations, you'll see a lot of stuff that would be warmups for pros nowadays. I recognize this was in the mid 90s, but people try to compare it to what is being done today which is insane.

With Rodney's freestyle background, of course it is going to be hard to stack up to some of the shit he did as it is based in freestyle which is pretty much dead. With that said, he couldn't touch what a lot of pros do now - and I'm not talking about large gaps and handrails. Look at what guys like Sewa, Aurelian, Luan, Shane O' Neil, etc. The consistency that they pull on flatground, ledges, manuals, etc. is unreal - and with good style. Again, I'm not knocking Mullen, but a lot of people that comment on it really haven't followed where skateboarding has gone. You can just follow the Berrics on Instagram and see a ton of crazy shit nowadays even by lesser known skaters. Rodney wasn't some kind of cyborg - of course there are going to be skaters out there that have exceeded that since we are decades past.

I've followed skateboarding in recent years (a little bit anyway) and yeah I've seen all those SKATE contests at the Berrics and I still disagree. Guys today aren't switch 360 flipping into primo slides across manual pads to 360 back foot heelfliping 180 body varial'ing out. They just aren't doing shit like that.

But I get what you're saying. And idk, you could be right. It's just a matter of opinion.

Edit: I will admit guys today have way better style. But when mullen first switched over to street in the 90's, landing things clean wasn't really emphasized at all. As long as you landed something, it was good. But yeah today guys have way better style, do things going fast, they go high with lots of pop, and they land clean. I do have to give ya that.

For example, this merlin twist by mike mo capaldi is awesome with good style. a little sketch on the landing but still great. But if you think Rodney would have trouble with this trick in his prime you're crazy.

xIhctMi.gif

Last edited:
If you want a good dose of what I'm talking about, watch his Second Hand Smoke part after the freestyle stuff. It starts at 1:17. Honestly, besides the darkslide and casper variations, you'll see a lot of stuff that would be warmups for pros nowadays. I recognize this was in the mid 90s, but people try to compare it to what is being done today which is insane.

lol how you gonna go all the way back to Second Hand Smoke and not mention the Rodney vs Daewon Rd. 2 and 3 vids, which came years after SHS?

lol how you gonna go all the way back to Second Hand Smoke and not mention the Rodney vs Daewon Rd. 2 and 3 vids, which came years after SHS?

I'm well aware of the Rodney vs. Daewon videos. I was just giving an example - his Plan B parts are considered iconic. It's similar to you bringing up a primo slide. The casper and primos come from his freestyle background. Do you really think these are things that most guys care about doing? Or do you really think he's the only one capable of them? You can find people fucking around with them on youtube - but it's not something most skaters really care about. It's like saying people can't do what Richie Jackson is doing. I don't think most are attempting, nor care to attempt it. For every trick like that you bring up, I can bring up 10+ tricks being done down a hubba, rail, stairs, gap, etc. that he'd never touch. That's the part that most people don't realize - you have guys flipping in and flipping out on ledges that are also flipping into decent size handrails while also pulling crazy tricks down stairs and gaps. Mullen was a crazy innovator and could do crazy tech tricks, but he also wasn't capable of doing a lot of shit others were doing as well.

I'm well aware of the Rodney vs. Daewon videos. I was just giving an example - his Plan B parts are considered iconic. It's similar to you bringing up a primo slide. The casper and primos come from his freestyle background. Do you really think these are things that most guys care about doing? Or do you really think he's the only one capable of them? You can find people fucking around with them on youtube - but it's not something most skaters really care about. It's like saying people can't do what Richie Jackson is doing. I don't think most are attempting, nor care to attempt it. For every trick like that you bring up, I can bring up 10+ tricks being done down a hubba, rail, stairs, gap, etc. that he'd never touch. That's the part that most people don't realize - you have guys flipping in and flipping out on ledges that are also flipping into decent size handrails while also pulling crazy tricks down stairs and gaps. Mullen was a crazy innovator and could do crazy tech tricks, but he also wasn't capable of doing a lot of shit others were doing as well.

Well no, he wasn't doing big gaps and stuff. That's a completely different style of street skating. I'm strictly talking about tech stuff. And even you just said you weren't even talking about that kind of stuff...

With that said, he couldn't touch what a lot of pros do now - and I'm not talking about large gaps and handrails

But like I said dude, it's all just opinions. We can agree to disagree. I love watching current skaters do what they do. Have you seen Olli Fevang's vids? THAT dude does crazy flatground shit I've never seen ANYBODY else do, including Rodney.

I recommend you watch some of The Berrics dreamtrick stuff. It's tricks they just dick around with and learn that day. Most of it is tech stuff. It's insane what guys are pulling now. Then if you watch "It Must Be Nice" and see the consistency it's mindblowing.

Hawk. If it wasn’t for his technical skill, he’d be nowhere. As it goes, I don’t particularly like Rodney’s style either. I’m aware they’re both pioneers, but there are other guys who do it a lot better.

Back