Tony Ferguson's reaction to UFC 249 cancelation

Imagine covering the most brutal sport in mma and censoring words like "fuck"

what is wrong with this world

Then about 19 minutes into the interview, the phone alerts showed up shortly after 3 p.m.: UFC President Dana White, after weeks of speculation and criticism, was finally calling off UFC 249, he told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto.

White added that all other UFC events were postponed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Today, we got a call from the highest level you can go at Disney, and the highest level at ESPN … and the powers that be there asked me to stand down and not do this event on Saturday,” White told ESPN, which has a five-year deal with the MMA promotion.

When told of the cancellation of his April 18 fight, Ferguson, 36, was understandably shocked. The first words out of his mouth was an expletive, followed by “Oh wow.”

After nine seconds of silence and another expletive, the Costa Mesa lightweight composed himself: “Ohhhhh well. I’m still gonna train.”

“Ummmm … you know what? I’m sure it’s for a good reason. Let’s be real. I gotta keep the faith,” Ferguson said. “I gotta keep this … (expletive) … keep this small circle close, bro, and just keep focusing on what we can control, which is our heart rate and our breathing.”

“Dude, I’m just gonna keep collecting trophies and doing my same shit,” Ferguson said before pausing and getting emotional. “Every single time I wake up in the morning, when I do my work, say my prayers and I do (stuff), I hug my little boy … whew … kiss my wife. I just … keep doing what I’m doing. What am I gonna do?”

“The constant is things are always gonna change. The variable is how am I gonna react to it?” Ferguson said. “So we could throw that variable, baby, and we make that the constant. Which is why I’m gonna keep smiling, I’m gonna keep training, and you know what? I’m gonna put on some muscle. Dude, I’m skinny. I’m gonna put on some muscle.

“I’m gonna try my best. I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna try my best. If I fall, I’ll get back up.”

Oh, the UFC brass treating Tony like shit? Well, I for one am shocked!

These assholes have been fucking Tony Ferguson over for the better part of the past half of a decade. I bet they let Khabib know though.

UFC are scum to the core.

Then about 19 minutes into the interview, the phone alerts showed up shortly after 3 p.m.: UFC President Dana White, after weeks of speculation and criticism, was finally calling off UFC 249, he told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto.

White added that all other UFC events were postponed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Today, we got a call from the highest level you can go at Disney, and the highest level at ESPN … and the powers that be there asked me to stand down and not do this event on Saturday,” White told ESPN, which has a five-year deal with the MMA promotion.

When told of the cancellation of his April 18 fight, Ferguson, 36, was understandably shocked. The first words out of his mouth was an expletive, followed by “Oh wow.”

After nine seconds of silence and another expletive, the Costa Mesa lightweight composed himself: “Ohhhhh well. I’m still gonna train.”

“Ummmm … you know what? I’m sure it’s for a good reason. Let’s be real. I gotta keep the faith,” Ferguson said. “I gotta keep this … (expletive) … keep this small circle close, bro, and just keep focusing on what we can control, which is our heart rate and our breathing.”

“Dude, I’m just gonna keep collecting trophies and doing my same shit,” Ferguson said before pausing and getting emotional. “Every single time I wake up in the morning, when I do my work, say my prayers and I do (stuff), I hug my little boy … whew … kiss my wife. I just … keep doing what I’m doing. What am I gonna do?”

“The constant is things are always gonna change. The variable is how am I gonna react to it?” Ferguson said. “So we could throw that variable, baby, and we make that the constant. Which is why I’m gonna keep smiling, I’m gonna keep training, and you know what? I’m gonna put on some muscle. Dude, I’m skinny. I’m gonna put on some muscle.

“I’m gonna try my best. I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna try my best. If I fall, I’ll get back up.”

great fuckin post man. Totally agree on his approach to life. 100

So when do you think they will reschedule Tony vs Kalabeeb? Maybe 6 is a charm? Or will he still have to fight Gay Chi for another interim belt?
Khabib's going into Ramadan end of this month & says he won't book something any earlier than Sept... so it's pretty likely they still go with Gaethje/Ferg imo.

Khabib's going into Ramadan end of this month & says he won't book something any earlier than Sept... so it's pretty likely they still go with Gaethje/Ferg imo.

You're still underestimating this coronavirus thing.

At least we still get Tony / Khabib this way

Damn it man... Think about it. Imagine being teased so many times over the years about a chance for achieving a goal in any field (professional or not doesn't matter, generally speaking) and feeling this over and over again, time, effort, mental and (in this case) physical preparation thrown away, because of various reasons... I have felt this shit in other areas of life. Props to Ferguson for that attitude. Legit made me feel for him.

It's not surprising, but still hilarious, that salty bitches on this site can't give the guy props for having such an overall professional and level headed response to finding this out during an interview by his interviewer. Unprofessional as hell by the UFC to announce it to the public before they tell the headlining fighter, and he takes it pretty much in stride. A hell of a lot of fighters would have really lost their shit and went off there, and he didn't. But instead of giving him credit, certain window lickers here try to spin it in a negative way. Says nothing about Tony, and a lot about those goofs.

You're still underestimating this coronavirus thing.

Maybe you're over-estimating it. You don't have to have such a strict pov about something even the experts are still uncertain about. The most solid thing you could say is "You might be underestimating..."

Antibody testing could make all the difference in the world fairly soon.

Those who have natural immunity will grow & eventually there will be no need to quarantine the whole world. Eventually it will be up to those at risk to quarantine themselves while the rest of us get back to normal.

(Medical professionals believe positive coronavirus retests are more likely the result of errors in testing rather than reinfection.) There's some talk that someone with a particularly week immune system might get re-infected, but there are not official scientifically proven cases of this. Regardless of whether this is true or not, the other 99% of the worlds population that this isn't deadly to can get rolling before this thing is completely done spreading... & without endangering those people that should be quarantining themselves from the rest of us.

Last edited:
I swear to you dude I saw Justin viciously KOing Tony in my dream. And I'm a Tony fan. He had nothing to gain and prove from that fight.

Over the years I cannot tell you how many "I had this dream that x happened this weekend" posts only to see them be completely wrong. Justin was a live dog vs Tony, but easily the most likely outcome was Justin getting carved up badly and us feeling awful for him by rd 3 as he was drowning in a sea of pace, elbows, punches, and blood.

Over the years I cannot tell you how many "I had this dream that x happened this weekend" posts only to see them be completely wrong. Justin was a live dog vs Tony, but easily the most likely outcome was Justin getting carved up badly and us feeling awful for him by rd 3 as he was drowning in a sea of pace, elbows, punches, and blood.
I hope you're right mang.

Back