Tony Ferguson says he 'got too one-dimensional,' explains transformation for UFC 262

I hope he comes back strong!!! my only worry is that age is catching up to him

I think he forever fucked himself doing that double weight cut and was only a shell of himself against Justin, and all those hits have ruined him

I think he forever fucked himself doing that double weight cut and was only a shell of himself against Justin, and all those hits have ruined him
That surgery he had was a big hit too. He noticeably didn't move as fluid in the Pettis fight.

Tony is one of the most overrated fighters in UFC history. He crumbled when he faced top contenders.
Not his fault he went on a 12 fight win streak. I don't think anybody called him the best fighter in the division but he is very game and was grinding out wins against big names even if they weren't at their peak. He could've lost instead. I'm just hoping he can bounce back.

I mean this respectfully, but Tony may've been on the decline even before the Gaethje fight. The last time Tony won vs a guy in his prime was 3.5 yrs ago (Kevin Lee). Fighters in the low weight classes age bad, even though after Lee he beat Pettis & Cerrone. Keep in mind, Pettis & Cerrone were both past prime, so Tony beating them could've just been masking his decline.

Good to hear, very good.

How the hell Tony thinks he's one dimensional?? he has 12 wins by KO and 8 by sub, 3 of those by brabo choke. that's just dumb.

i am glad he's improving his boxing but he's facing Dariush who's a amazing grappler he has to improve his TDD which it's almost nonexistent for a guy with wrestling background.

I mean this respectfully, but Tony may've been on the decline even before the Gaethje fight. The last time Tony won vs a guy in his prime was 3.5 yrs ago (Kevin Lee). Fighters in the low weight classes age bad, even though after Lee he beat Pettis & Cerrone. Keep in mind, Pettis & Cerrone were both past prime, so Tony beating them could've just been masking his decline.

i don't think it's age. it's factor but also take in consideration all fo those guys hurt tony or had an advanage and got overconfident. Cowboy and Petis i can see that about being past theri primes (Pettins relying more on reflexes) but Vannata, Barboza and Lee all had Tony on the edge; didn't went safe and Tony beat them. Only Johnson, Gaethje and Oliveira went safe and beat Tony.

Tony is one of the most overrated fighters in UFC history. He crumbled when he faced top contenders.

Or you mean you just happened to point out when he lost and make it seem like that. Not that he actually did lol. The man beat several contenders before losing to Gaehje. But you're not gonna admit that, goes against your personal narrative of Tony.

That right there tells me you weren’t around for his rise. RDA not a top fighter? Lee? Thomson? Good lord

I love Tony, but I think he just got too old, and his style requires such a huge intense energy, but he looks so old in the face these days, he has aged really badly the last few years

He was so fun to watch and very intense.. but I always felt his style is for a younger guy. Thats just my feeling

Tony does a lot of talking. I'll believe him if he performs. Until then, he's just talking.

I love Tony, but I think he just got too old, and his style requires such a huge intense energy, but he looks so old in the face these days, he has aged really badly the last few years

He was so fun to watch and very intense.. but I always felt his style is for a younger guy. Thats just my feeling
Yeah, putting more effort in by increasing intensity isn't a great long term strategy it just burns you out faster.

There's another guy like that at BW.

Tony is too old and has taken too much damage. I don't know if Dariush is going to expose that but the next elite guy will. Dariush is a Romulo black belt and trains at a great camp at Kings MMA and will be ready to go.

After finding himself in unfamiliar territory, Tony Ferguson says he’s undergone some changes.

For the first time in his career, Ferguson has lost two consecutive fights, this coming after the former UFC interim lightweight champion had been on a 12-fight winning streak.

Ferguson (25-5 MMA, 15-3 UFC) will look to rebound from losses to Justin Gaethje and Charles Oliveira when he meets Beneil Dariush at UFC 262 on May 15 in Houston. While he offers no excuses for his recent setbacks, “El Cucuy” knew something had to change.

“Last year, it had nothing to do with coaches or anything else,” Ferguson told Submission Radio. “Seriously, I take all the fall and all my blame on it, but the two losses that I had, I’m gonna be real with you guys: It was the best learning experience I probably could’ve ever had and the best thing that was for me and my family.”

He continued, “Chasing after a guy like (retired former champion) Khabib and then trying to get the fight and then not getting the fight and then having interim belts dangled in front of you, the game is what it is. You can’t get mad at the game. But how you play the game is exactly your approach. And that’s what I did for this year. I completely changed my approach.”

Ferguson, who’s been running his own operations with a tight-knit group, recently spent time at Wild Card Boxing with legendary trainer Freddie Roach, which has reignited his passion for the game.

“Where we’re at right now, I’m hungry as f*ck,” Ferguson said. “And I haven’t had the love for the game in a minute. I’m gonna be real: I haven’t even sparred yet, but I’m getting that f*cking hunger just being around it over at Wild Card.”

He continued, “Instead of a varsity mentality, I went back to an Olympic mentality, and I started to surround myself around people that are hungry how I am and how they’ve been for a long time. And I started to find myself over at Wild Card a lot easier, because that’s where I knew that I could find that kind of grind.”

Ferguson takes on the streaking Dariush (20-4-1 MMA, 14-4-1 UFC), who’s been longing for a big fight. He has nothing but respect for the well rounded contender, who has motivated Ferguson to add new wrinkles to his game.

“It’s a great fight,” Ferguson said. “Let’s talk about Beneil: The guy’s an up-and-comer. Not up-and-comer, an OG dude. He’s been doing the game for a long time. He’s over at Huntington beach with Rafael Cordeiro. He’s a southpaw, he’s very strong on his left side. He’s very game in mixing it up. So, that’s why I’ve been mixing my shit up. Because I got too one-dimensional. When you get too one dimensional, you start to plateau.

“And as a master trainer, you should be able to realize that and then understand that, make some changes, and then be able to get your athlete back on the same program, which was, not peaking, but steadily increasing. Paying attention to the smaller details are always going to make for the best things. And Beneil and their team, they got a sh*t load of people over there helping them out. They got like an ‘Ultimate Fighter’ team. It feels like I’m back on the ‘Ultimate Fighter,’ guys. It really does.

“I’m hungry as f*ck, and I’m back. I’m really back on it, man. And I’m mixing it up really, really well, better than a f**king blender.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-explains-transformation-beneil-dariush-fight
So he trained with Freddie Roach for the majority of time and he said he got too one dimensional? lol so training only boxing is not one dimensional? come on Tony make some sense bro

Back