1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Tony Ferguson says he 'got too one-dimensional,' explains transformation for UFC 262

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Apr 13, 2021.

1. KazDibiase "My style is kneeing people in the face."

After finding himself in unfamiliar territory, Tony Ferguson says he’s undergone some changes.

For the first time in his career, Ferguson has lost two consecutive fights, this coming after the former UFC interim lightweight champion had been on a 12-fight winning streak.

Ferguson (25-5 MMA, 15-3 UFC) will look to rebound from losses to Justin Gaethje and Charles Oliveira when he meets Beneil Dariush at UFC 262 on May 15 in Houston. While he offers no excuses for his recent setbacks, “El Cucuy” knew something had to change.

“Last year, it had nothing to do with coaches or anything else,” Ferguson told Submission Radio. “Seriously, I take all the fall and all my blame on it, but the two losses that I had, I’m gonna be real with you guys: It was the best learning experience I probably could’ve ever had and the best thing that was for me and my family.”

He continued, “Chasing after a guy like (retired former champion) Khabib and then trying to get the fight and then not getting the fight and then having interim belts dangled in front of you, the game is what it is. You can’t get mad at the game. But how you play the game is exactly your approach. And that’s what I did for this year. I completely changed my approach.”

Ferguson, who’s been running his own operations with a tight-knit group, recently spent time at Wild Card Boxing with legendary trainer Freddie Roach, which has reignited his passion for the game.

“Where we’re at right now, I’m hungry as f*ck,” Ferguson said. “And I haven’t had the love for the game in a minute. I’m gonna be real: I haven’t even sparred yet, but I’m getting that f*cking hunger just being around it over at Wild Card.”

He continued, “Instead of a varsity mentality, I went back to an Olympic mentality, and I started to surround myself around people that are hungry how I am and how they’ve been for a long time. And I started to find myself over at Wild Card a lot easier, because that’s where I knew that I could find that kind of grind.”

Ferguson takes on the streaking Dariush (20-4-1 MMA, 14-4-1 UFC), who’s been longing for a big fight. He has nothing but respect for the well rounded contender, who has motivated Ferguson to add new wrinkles to his game.

“It’s a great fight,” Ferguson said. “Let’s talk about Beneil: The guy’s an up-and-comer. Not up-and-comer, an OG dude. He’s been doing the game for a long time. He’s over at Huntington beach with Rafael Cordeiro. He’s a southpaw, he’s very strong on his left side. He’s very game in mixing it up. So, that’s why I’ve been mixing my shit up. Because I got too one-dimensional. When you get too one dimensional, you start to plateau.

“And as a master trainer, you should be able to realize that and then understand that, make some changes, and then be able to get your athlete back on the same program, which was, not peaking, but steadily increasing. Paying attention to the smaller details are always going to make for the best things. And Beneil and their team, they got a sh*t load of people over there helping them out. They got like an ‘Ultimate Fighter’ team. It feels like I’m back on the ‘Ultimate Fighter,’ guys. It really does.

“I’m hungry as f*ck, and I’m back. I’m really back on it, man. And I’m mixing it up really, really well, better than a f**king blender.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-explains-transformation-beneil-dariush-fight

peterparker66, The Rivv, MGS and 15 others like this.
  2. The Bloody Nine Yellow Card Yellow Card

I'm glad he recognised this while still in the prime of his youth.

3. truedough Two divisions

Tony is one of the most overrated fighters in UFC history. He crumbled when he faced top contenders.

HNIC215, cburm, chs140 and 4 others like this.
  4. flowoftruth Brown Belt

this guy got rid of all his coaches because they didnt stick around while he cut weight for no reason

Bob Sapp, Canned Tuna, Norcim and 3 others like this.
  5. Satan's Daddy. Brown Belt Platinum Member

I can't see Tony being a wrestler now.

6. USA!USA! Red Belt

"The guy’s an up-and-comer. Not up-and-comer, an OG dude. "

Still crazy Tony. Correcting himself mid interview.

7. Eiger Blue Belt

The most lucid and level-headed he's sounded (in text anyway), in quite some time.

Wreckless, SL1200 and Kenny Powerth like this.
  8. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Dimensional reality is unable to capture Tony's greatness.

9. Kos Fan Brown Belt

I can’t see him recovering from those last two fights where he got completely outclassed everywhere. He will need to win 2-3 more before he gets a title shot I just don’t see it happening.

El General likes this.
  10. Raymundo Alvarado Guevara Green Belt

I hope the hungry Ferguson can delivered to be in the camp spot again

11. Bubba32 Brown Belt

too old and too beat up to make a come back no matter what he changes.

Emporio Alnino likes this.
  12. richardjohnson Brown Belt

Mixing it up better than a fucking blender

gotta love Tony

13. TitleDefJusticeWarrior Banned Banned

It really isn't healthy that he is his own head coach.

14. Rorschachxx Brown Belt

As much as I‘d love for Dariush to win, he is a good fight for Tony to assess where the fuck he is at. If he cant beat Dariush, its time to seriously consider where he is headed in this sport. Out of all top 10 LW‘s, Beneil is one of the best options to get for Tony.

15. Luckyme Green Belt

I'm glad he realized that he needed to change things up, but at his age and with the damage he's taken, it may be too little too late. Especially when it comes to becoming champ.

Look at all of the past UFC light weight champions. They all won championships in their 20s or early 30s. No one at Tony's current age (37) ever rose above gatekeeper.

16. chiefwiggum Silver Belt

very few have had better careers. He’s only had success

17. Steve Fox Purple Belt

From throwing sand to throwing seashells. We got you Tony.

18. The Bloody Nine Yellow Card Yellow Card

I'm not sure you can consider losing two fights in a row a success.

SpoogeBobSemenPants likes this.
  19. Dan Torrance Purple Belt

Oliviera is just a really bad style matchup for him. Oliviera's pressure and tight form negate Ferg's style and he didn't have another mode to switch to.

Justin is an incredible athlete with great leg kicks and a lot of power, he's a very very tough fight for anyone.

Bad style matchups.

It's good to see he recognizes he needs to make style changes though.

Wreckless likes this.
  20. marco515 White Belt

Bet the house!!!