Tony Cecchine and his students

Cynic

Shugendo
@Blue
Reaction score
I was just curious to know if Tony himself or any of his students have participated in any grappling competitions, whether it be jiu jitsu, submission wrestling, judo, or sambo etc.
If yes, how did they do?

I heard Tony C. doesn't like jiu jitsu tournaments because he thinks the rules favor BJJ guys versus the catch guys. And he himself is supposedly injured.

if i were a pure catch guy, i'd probably bail on bjj tournaments too, just because most of them don't allow many leg submissions. Now if those guys don't go to NAGA Chicago though....well...that should bring up some questions

on that note though, i;ve heard of one guy that does pretty well under his system, but i can't remember is name...this topic has been beaten into the ground over on the UG but not here so much yet...we shall see where this goes

Another dude with similar good, interesting and unortodox material is Mark Hatmaker. Anybody got any info of similar kind?

Yeah. Hatmaker competing would be awesome. But we'd never see him do MMA, like we'll never see Tony C or Eddie Bravo. There is too much at stake in their business and their stock to lose over a fight or two.

Bravo is in his mid thirties, it is too lare for him to round out his game for MMA. He's said he would fight for the right money as motivation but otherwise he is content to teach and compete in grappling alone.

Tony C is too old and too injured.

Hatmaker is apparently legit but again probably makes enough money to live comfortably putting out ESP stuff rather than training to get punched in the face in a cage or ring.

Also, why did competing in MMA come into the question? It's about competing in grappling tournaments, not MMA. I think maybe you misread the topic, Soulfly. Bravo and his students both compete, the only reason Bravo was not at ADCC this year is because he fucked up his back training for it. He's hardly scared off losing his rep, he lost straight after his victory over Royler to Leo Viera. So I think you may be a little off on this point.

I have researched hatmaker a bit, and he and his system seem to be the real deal

Ive watched the Tony C tapes, and have read the Hatmaker books, both systems have some good stuff in it, I like the a bunch of the catch stuff.

So none of them or their students have competed?

i really don't see why tony c and his students wouldn't compete in no-gi/submission wrestling tournaments.

Tony is severely injured, he had an aneurysm and also has some major back problems.
Also as far as I can see Ton

there was a time when
Reza Nazri was the only grappling instructor other than Gene LeBell on
panther videos

and he entered the UFC, fought Brian Johnson and got destroyed.

I still think he is a solid grappler, I wouldn't judge a person based on 1 fight!!!

remember, eddie bravo was known for his spinal crans (twiwster) but it didn't stop him from entering abu dabi where spinal attacks are banned.

I tried to get a hold of Cecchine at his Chicago school when I was looking for CACC teachers....what a joke. A pitiful scam....always with the "my art is too deadly to use" nonsense. Plus there was no gym that I could find, and no working phone number. Oh, this thread is really old. haha

I tried to get a hold of Cecchine at his Chicago school when I was looking for CACC teachers....what a joke. A pitiful scam....always with the "my art is too deadly to use" nonsense. Plus there was no gym that I could find, and no working phone number. Oh, this thread is really old. haha

Did u go to his school?

Scam? Funny. I've been to his gym several times. It's a private gym, not a public school. In fact, he held a seminar there in March of '09.

For the record, here are some of the venues in which guy's Cecchine has trained have fought and won: UFC victory, Pancrase victory, IFC Championship, NAGA championships, Arnold Classic championship. If you want names, go through and query past victors, or poke around a bit.

It's always funny to see Jake Shannon show up on threads like this to post links to threads in which Tony is bashed -- most of it based on a bunch of lies Shannon himself invented and posted about Cecchine as he was working to delegitimize him. Not surprisingly, that effort to delegitimize Cecchine has culminated in Shannon's very own catch wrestling business, Scientific Wrestling.

Fortunately, the internet has evolved. You can now check out clips of what Shannon "teaches" and what Cecchine shows by looking on YouTube. Tony's stuff can be found at youtube.com/cecchinecatch. Soon, you'll even see a clip in which Tony is showing Shannon (and Shonie Carter) how to do a step over toe hold.

Oh? And since all that garbage Shannon began in an effort to discredit Cecchine nearly half a decade ago? All his "questions" and "concerns" about Tony's background have been answered. But Shannon continues to pretend that he is only seeking the truth. Instead, he continues the slander, because his business depends on it.

Ironically, it was just revealed that the Lead Instructor for Certification at Scientific Wrestling, Kris Iatskevich, lied about being the son of famed sambist Alexander Iatskevich. He lied about having any official training in sambo; he lied about having a black belt in judo (Scientific Wrestling had him listed as a 3rd Dan!); in fact, his only demonstrable accreditation came from a S.A.W. black belt -- who just happens to be a student of Cecchine's!

Tony can be reached through [email protected].

Full disclosure (something Shannon never provides): I am a student of Tony's, and I appeared in Snap, No Tap! -- the series Tony just put out for Paladin Press.

Anyone who thinks Tony isn't legit hasn't met Tony. But don't listen to me. Look at the stuff, compare, and judge for yourselves.

You do know the previous post to yours was from 2008 right? And this thread originally began in 2005, and most of us have no idea who the hell Tony Cecchine is anyway.

You do know the previous post to yours was from 2008 right? And this thread originally began in 2005, and most of us have no idea who the hell Tony Cecchine is anyway.

Hahah might not remember me, but I was in BTT Long Beach for around a month lol.

Anyway, sorry for bumping this, but I do know Tony Cecchine. To those who don't, his late 90s DVD series "Lost Art of Hooking" is said to be a guilty pleasure for advanced grapplers, since he really has A LOT of really good stuff, despite being part of an instructional set a decade ago, so he's a legit catch wrestler, despite what Jake Shannon claims. Jake Shannon is the very person who might be coming to all sorts of MMA forums registering under various usernames, trying to dirty Cecchine's name for some unknown, obsessive reason to do so, while marketing reprints of old catch wrestler texts, which are probably public domain stuff anyway.

Funnily enough, the only time Jake Shannon started talking crap about Cecchine only after Lou Thesz had already passed away, as I don't think he'd be able to say all that if Thesz is still alive, as Thesz is also legit, and Thesz considers Cecchine to be legit as well. Cecchine covers some of Thesz's techniques in "The Lost Art of Hooking" as well.

In any case, ever since Cecchine churned out some of his old videos for free in youtube (like full lessons from the "LAOH" series), people are starting to realize that his shit is totally legit.

Cecchine trained Shonie Carter a few times btw, mostly training for submission defense. And look at Shonie's record - he only has like 3 sub losses out of around 80 total fights in his career.

Back