Tonight I Lost My BJJ Virginity(meaning I rolled for the first time. nothing else.)

So I'll attempt to give this thread a little direction now:

On my first day I relished every drill but my favorite part was going toe to toe (then shortly chest to chest) with someone I knew was going to beat me but every moment I stayed calm and positive without much effort. At not point did it feel like a chore

Did any of you have or witness attitude issues during class?

Those guys get humbled real quick. Especially when it's a tight-knit group they're walking into. It's up to the upper belt guys to make sure they understand that their attitude isn't right for the team.

Another first: Judo class

this time my partner was just as inexperienced as I was so after busting my bum twice during randori I was able to time his throws and counter his osoto gari him with relative ease.

I had no problem putting him in deep shit on the ground but I never really see judo guys work the guard or take the back or anything so I kinda just let him up because i wasn't sure if I should push the newaza

Today was my first day of jiujitsu and we rolled for a long time. I got submitted like 8 times or something BUT I did get a guillotine. I got RNC but the kind that constricts the airpath or something (choke not strangle?) and it hurt like a bitch but apparently that doesn't submit as fast as the one cutting off blood circulation. Also, kimuras hurt like a mofo.

Funny I don't remember the what happened the first time I rolled, people on this forum make it seem like some things are huge milestones e.g. first sub, first roll, first getting subb'd, first getting taken down, first getting gogo'd, first getting RNC'd.

But anyways, great job man, not many people step forward and actually start BJJ. I have several friends who were interested in BJJ but backed out after finding out they couldn't just start kicking ass from day one. I guess the pride and humilation thing plays a big factor.

Funny I don't remember the what happened the first time I rolled, people on this forum make it seem like some things are huge milestones e.g. first sub, first roll, first getting subb'd, first getting taken down, first getting gogo'd, first getting RNC'd.

But anyways, great job man, not many people step forward and actually start BJJ. I have several friends who were interested in BJJ but backed out after finding out they couldn't just start kicking ass from day one. I guess the pride and humilation thing plays a big factor.

I'm sure they feel like it at the time

Another first: Judo class

this time my partner was just as inexperienced as I was so after busting my bum twice during randori I was able to time his throws and counter his osoto gari him with relative ease.

I had no problem putting him in deep shit on the ground but I never really see judo guys work the guard or take the back or anything so I kinda just let him up because i wasn't sure if I should push the newaza

Push the newaza! If you are going to get stood up, they will stand you up. If you're winning on the ground, keep at it! Standing up from the ground when you are clearly winning is like having someone tied up to a chair with a gun on their forehead, then untying him and counting to 200.

Sweet, keep training dude.......I am about 3 months into it and I used to grapple crazy... Then I got armbared and I have a nice annoying tweak in my elbow that refuses to go away. Last night I got gi-choked from the guard and my ear hurts this morning because of that..... I calmed down alot since I first started and I mainly focus on techniques and escapes especially....I realize if I spaz, the other belted guys have no choice but to grapple as hard as me and I will get hurt.........

I missed training a couple of days ago with a serious tweak in my elbow where it would fully extend without serious pain. It's fine now.

Soon you will be the 1 cranking some noobs arm if u keep with it !

Err ... I'm not I would have put it that way. I mean shit the sport gets enough flak for looking gay enough as it.

But I'm glad you liked your experience, keep training!

Are you by any chance talking about the Rutgers Brazilian Jiu Jitsu club?

I'm the president of the club, and that is literally exactly what we did at practice on Monday.

Back