• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tom Petty to get songwriting royalties for Sam Smith song "Stay With Me"

I can't stop laughing. dude does look like Boy George.

I liked Sam Smith much more when I thought he was a soulful black dude.
I can't even watch him sing.

I remember when Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker, Jr.

[YT]3ZwQRCkKxNE[/YT]
[YT]TgNWyBXBC0E[/YT]

Ghostbusters is way better

Does anybody remember John Forgerty got sued by Fantasy Inc. because this song:

[YT]/JbSGMRZsN4Q[/YT]

was a "rip off" of this song:

[YT]/EbI0cMyyw_M[/YT]

Fantasy Inc. owned the rights to Credence Clearwater Revival's catalog.

"Bustin' makes me feel good"

That's a lyric in Ghostbusters

Fogerty won. I don't know the exact reasoning.

Yes I like them but not nearly as much as you despise them. :cool:

I'm sorry Wrath, I don't despise them. I enjoy them more than I let on. But I do enjoy slinging harmless shit at you about them. Forgive me.

Godsmack has ripped off nine inch nails and to a much lesser extent Alice in chains.

[YT]/watch?v=IZAmXrOuIi0[/YT]

[YT]/watch?v=uj9knjbDRdA[/YT]

The NIN one was pretty blatant.

don't know if joking. but that is one of the most comical lawsuits of all time.

Its a true story.
I don't know if he won because he's wrote both songs, or if there was a different chord in one of the songs that differentiated them.

I'm sorry Wrath, I don't despise them. I enjoy them more than I let on. But I do enjoy slinging harmless shit at you about them. Forgive me.

Nothing harmless about your shit but I do indeed forgive you. :)

I win :)

Don't you think a company would sue Radiohead, especially for Creep royalties, if the songs were actually identical?

People think that similar notes in sections of chord progressions and similar timing means someone rips something off lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomnesia

I have a hard time accepting this as copyright violation, but clearly Sam and company did not want to fight it. It is very similar, perhaps inspired, but if it's violation, then 80% of the blues is copyright violation. And the blues is the bedrock of modern popular music.

Those three notes at the top of the refrain, over the same chords...if Sam had just changed one of those notes, he would probably have been clear.

Back