• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tom Petty to get songwriting royalties for Sam Smith song "Stay With Me"

I heard it as soon as they 1st played it on the radio. Glad he didn't front.

You guys all wish you could sing like Sam Smith. You hate him cause you ain't him.

I don't hate him. But if I could have a singing voice, there are others I would pick 1st. I will admit he has an incredible voice, its just a little....no way to say it nicely...fruity.

[YT]oOlDewpCfZQ[/YT]

oh noes. These songs all sound the same

That was amazing.

Granted most of the songs played were post-2000 radio hits.

So no surprise there, buncha uninspired cans.

Worst one I've ever heard (even though I love LZ):

Tough I think LZ finally agreed to give him credit.

I actually like Holmes version a bit better, lol.

Just because Tom Petty can't hit high notes, doesn't mean he's not a good vocalist. He is known for his live performances sounding very close to album like, and if you know anything about playing music/singing, you'd know how difficult that is to attain.

Level of vocalist is much more complex than who would do well in singing competitions.

Secondly, Sam Smith is paying Petty from now until forever because he ripped his song off.

Petty>Smith foreva eva

Easy to sound close to album when the bar is set at "pure shit" or "talk into this mic in a melodic way".

You think it's easier to find a musician who can write good songs or one who has a pleasing voice?

Who the fuck writes good songs out of those two?

I will say objectively that Smith is an excellent vocalist, much better than Tom Petty - which isn't a high bar.

Overall, Tom Petty shits on the vast majority including Smith based on body of work alone.

I thought that singer was athletic and explosive. Never seen him before.

I hate that song.

Easy to sound close to album when the bar is set at "pure shit" or "talk into this mic in a melodic way".

Who the fuck writes good songs out of those two?

I could have only expected such a rational answer from such a respectful poster as Real_Magi.

Haven't you already done this in multiple threads? Shit on any and all music in a thread, and when asked about your own taste, you refuse to mention anything? Sounds really familiar.

I could have only expected such a rational answer from such a respectful poster as Real_Magi.

Haven't you already done this in multiple threads? Shit on any and all music in a thread, and when asked about your own taste, you refuse to mention anything? Sounds really familiar.

What? When was I ever asked about my musical taste? I don't remember "shitting on any and all music" in any thread either. I think you're just overly sensitive.

Are you asking me to post up some music I like in some weird passive aggressive way?

Stop taking it so damn personally if someone disagrees with you dude. Just because I don't like Tom Petty doesn't mean you have to get all emotional.

rustlin-out-my-jimmies.gif

Yeah it's very close.

I think that Gotye song was biting The Police way harder though. King of Pain.

I love Tom Petty, and that song is one of my 10 or 15 favorite songs of all time, but this is a bit ironic considering Petty (as well as Lou Reed) made a career using Bob Dylan's voice.

The Rolling Stones gave KD Lang a songwriting credit several years ago because one of their songs sounded a lot like "Constant Craving". It was about as similar as Sam Smith & Tom Petty's songs are.

In his autobiography Keith says Mick does it all the time, they usually catch it but that one managed to slip by the rest of the band

Back