Todd Duffee a future contender?

vgmark

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
The guy is apparently a prick but, he certainly looks athletic and demonstrates some striking skill.

Anybody believe that the Russow/Overeem losses can be overcome and the guy becomes a contender one day?

Also, I am looking to confirm if his back story as a pizza guy is true. Apparently, he worked in a pizza parlor as some random ripped dude that one day decided to pick up MMA.

There's lots of big question marks about that guy, he is still young and has a while to go but I'm not sure about his ability to take a bit of punishment.

Always good to have another contender, but Todd trains with both Cain and Cormier at AKA now, so what happens if he does become a serious contender?

Doubt it. Don't see him beating anyone in the top 10.

Duffee/Reem II. Make it happen!

If the pizza dude story is true I like the Rocky element that the fight would have.
Actually, know that I think about it I said the same thing the first time they fought in Japan. Man, Japan knows how to make fights.

I don't see why he couldn't be with a couple more fights. He trains with Two great HW's in Cain and Cormier. I think he's ready to fight better competition than Phil De Fries.

Always good to have another contender, but Todd trains with both Cain and Cormier at AKA now, so what happens if he does become a serious contender?

He'll probably cut to 185 ;)

He could definitely become a contender. He's only 27 and he has a lot of potential still; he's very athletic, very explosive, has a lot of power, and looks like he's trying to improve.

He's only lost against Russow and Overeem, but look at both of those losses: he was dominating Russow bad for the majority of the fight, Russow has knockout power in his hands, though the style he uses doesn't really permit it being used a lot, and he got caught with a punch that Russow hadn't thrown the entire fight and that Duffee hadn't seen coming (followed up by a hammerfist from Satan's own chamber of torture devices, of course). It's the shots you don't see coming that get you, as the saying goes, and he was dominating him badly before that.
Overeem had, literally, just won the K-1 Grand Prix when they fought, and Duffee got knocked out by a K-1 Grand Prix champion. That's not really a terrible thing; he fought a guy that was on a superior level to him at the time and was in over his head.
He was also only 24 when both of those things happened, so it's not like he presented problems during that time that are going to stay with him for the rest of his career, and it's not like being stopped by either of them is a really terrible thing. Look at Overeem; Overeem's been stopped many times (Shogun twice, Liddell, Kharitonov, Arona, Badr Hari, and even Bobby Hoffman all stopped Overeem), and he's still fighting strong and is on the verge of becoming the UFC HW champion.

He could definitely become a contender. He's only 27 and he has a lot of potential still; he's very athletic, very explosive, has a lot of power, and looks like he's trying to improve.

He's only lost against Russow and Overeem, but look at both of those losses: he was dominating Russow bad for the majority of the fight, Russow has knockout power in his hands, though the style he uses doesn't really permit it being used a lot, and he got caught with a punch that Russow hadn't thrown the entire fight and that Duffee hadn't seen coming (followed up by a hammerfist from Satan's own chamber of torture devices, of course). It's the shots you don't see coming that get you, as the saying goes, and he was dominating him badly before that.
Overeem had, literally, just won the K-1 Grand Prix when they fought, and Duffee got knocked out by a K-1 Grand Prix champion. That's not really a terrible thing; he fought a guy that was on a superior level to him at the time and was in over his head.
He was also only 24 when both of those things happened, so it's not like he presented problems during that time that are going to stay with him for the rest of his career, and it's not like being stopped by either of them is a really terrible thing. Look at Overeem; Overeem's been stopped many times (Shogun twice, Liddell, Kharitonov, Arona, Badr Hari, and even Bobby Hoffman all stopped Overeem), and he's still fighting strong and is on the verge of becoming the UFC HW champion.

Overeem is an excellent striker and not trying to be controversial here but, he most likely was using PED's in Japan when they fought. So, I think it's valid saying he was baby with a cut arm being thrown into a shark tank. But, Overeem is expected to throw with you. If he had any sense he should have clinched or gone for the takedowns. Then again, that may just be due to lack of coaching or possibly his grappling had not developed sufficiently by that point.

Maybe, he has the potential. Why do you say he's a prick though?

He'll never belong in the cage with guys that highly rated. He doesn't have anywhere near their wrestling.

Maybe, he has the potential. Why do you say he's a prick though?

When he was cut initially from the UFC Dana put him on blast and said that he had a major attitude problem. After hearing that it was apparently a misunderstanding regarding him trying to get the UFC to pay for a knee surgery he needed I don't personally think that of him but, it's one of the more prominent things said about him.

You sure he can't beat Struve, Browne, Rothwell, Bigfoot or Mir?

Struve - I'd definately favour Duffee, I don't think Struve would survive the first bullrush.

Browne - Would really depend on the outcome of the first minute or two IMHO, good chance Duffee gets a TKO but if not I'd guess Browne's chances increase.

Rothwell - I'd actually say the toughest of all of these guys for Duffee if only because his chin is so good, like Russow but with Ben having much better/heavier hands.

Bigfoot - The same as with Brown but with Silva having a clearer advanatge if he survives the bullrush.

Mir - Hard to say how Duffee responds to a sub threat as we've not seen his defence tested much, if its good I think Mir is probabley his best chance at beating a really big name.

Overeem is an excellent striker and not trying to be controversial here but, he most likely was using PED's in Japan when they fought. So, I think it's valid saying he was baby with a cut arm being thrown into a shark tank. But, Overeem is expected to throw with you. If he had any sense he should have clinched or gone for the takedowns. Then again, that may just be due to lack of coaching or possibly his grappling had not developed sufficiently by that point.

Are you in any way implying Todd Duffee hasn't?

/mind blown :eek:

Yes i think he will be a contender. Guy has shown some solid skills i just dont know if he will be able to take punishment as he has been kod by reem and russow.

he has all the tools to be. anyone who doesnt think he has the potential is obviously blind or just plain doesnt like him. i personally dont care for the guy however he comes from a solid wresling backround, has 1 punch ko power (not sure but he may have the record) and he trains with some of the best fighters in the world. the rest is up to him and which opponents he gets.

If the pizza dude story is true I like the Rocky element that the fight would have.
Actually, know that I think about it I said the same thing the first time they fought in Japan. Man, Japan knows how to make fights.

Yeah, cuz that was a real competitive fight.

Back