To King Kabuki

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by phenomfan1529, Jul 27, 2005.

1. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

Your the F'N man! Just wanted to thank you for posting one of your heavybag routines. Its helped me so much already. Especially in sparring. My coach & the guys I train with see a big changes & so have I. My punches have become more crisp & accurate like you said they would. So THANKS King Kabuki, keep posting more good shit like that!

2. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Word brotha. And has your cardio increased like crazy? Like you don't gas nearly as quickly as you used to? Sparring with you once this routine is easy for you should make those guys who don't do it feeling like they're doing the routine for the first time themselves.

3. Chad Hamilton

Chad Hamilton Amateur Fighter

Im on the King Kubuki bandwagon.
    Nuthugger too.

4. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

Yes, I always thought my cardio was pretty good but it looks like it has increased for sure

5. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

I am too now! lol

6. ThaNeXtCHAMP

ThaNeXtCHAMP Banned Banned

cooool umm can u guyz tell me where he posted the training or can u tell how to do it?
    plz

7. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

type in Heavybag Rounds 101: (for Boxing) in the search function

8. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

or jus click to the next page in the forum, it should be there

9. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

One thing I don't understand about King Kabuki's routine is the round he devotes to the rear hook. How often do you throw a rear hook? The only time I can think of is when the other guy is covering up against the ropes and you are unloading on him high and low. Otherwise I don't know how you'd use that punch.

Other than that, it's a very interesting workout. I would like to see KK provide another heavy bag workout that includes true combinations.

10. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Zankou, I've led with the rear-hook a couple times, but it is specifically to isolate and strengthen the knockout punch. The power-hand hook. I don't believe in never training it up just because it's always going to be strong, timing, accuracy, and speed can always be improved upon.

I devote the 5th and 6th round in my routine to combinations, I just never do the same ones over and over. I like to adlib and totally switch-up my arsenal day-to-day for versatility. Like sometimes I start out with your traditional 1-2, and vary it by going body-head, then I might actualy reverse it and go 2-1 (I throw jabs last when someone is backing me up, jabbing while backpedaling is an awesome tool to have), and then from there I mentally go somehweres else if you know what I mean. I'm not thinking "what combo do I do next?"....I'm just belting away and circling, measuring, feinting, and with the bag swinging the whole time it gives me a good idea of counter-punching angles.

11. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

This routine has done wonders to my rear hook. Especially to the body, which is now my new best friend