To hell with pressing...

Sean S

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok usually on wednesdays I would do your typical pressing motions. Some kind of bench press, then a couple variants, probably an assistant lift. Problem is with grappling I can't see any use for a normal grip bench press anymore. I thought that maybe focusing on a close grip bench would be good since there is use for that kind of press. However, I have always had some bad problems with close grip benching. (Mostly lower bicep and tricep near the elbow) So I am tired of it. I figure I can get just as good power from say overhead presses and like exercises. (Which I already do) However, I am looking for interesting exercises to take up Wednesday. Preferably grappling helping exercises that emphasize power/strength. Kind of like a strong man day (Copied that from Urban)

So far last night I did:

Farmers Walk
Bag lift and walk (150 pound "sand bag" which I am for sure going to bump up to 200 this weekend)
-This lift is sort of a stone lift but with a bag (well actually a bunch of trash bags) full of sand "blobs"

And for fun I put the bag on my chest and attempted 3 sets of 10 crunches and did 3 sets of ten of mimicing the bump motion. (bumping someone in full mount)

And ideas?

Sean S said:
I have always had some bad problems with close grip benching. (Mostly lower bicep and tricep near the elbow)

what do you mean by this?

Herculean said:
what do you mean by this?

Meh repeated pain basically and not the ok kind. Could be my form, I'm not beyond admitting that but I have tried a lot of different types of form. Just always bothersome.

yeah sounds like u lifting with some heavy poundages , do u get that with tate press?

Herculean said:
yeah sounds like u lifting with some heavy poundages , do u get that with tate press?

I don't even bother with a tate press or skull crusher motion. Those are really bad for me. My close grip isn't really anything special. Did 3X275 yesterday.

I've canned bench press as well choosing instead to focus on dips and overhead press. I'm not sure but I think that tire flipping is a great strongman event that requires shoulders power and pressing if that's something you're looking for. I'll let you know as soon as I get my tire.

My elbow and shoulder joints were super achy doing dips and incline bench the other day, it hurt more than it should have, am i getting too old to lift? (I'm 24)

too old to lift at 24? you're fucking with me right?

Urban said:
too old to lift at 24? you're fucking with me right?

not particularly you, but my joints were really achy for some reason. I had to stop dipping and I did a rack lockouts instead.

i had given up bench about 4 months ago, and i don't regret it at all, now i just do dips and OH press, i am stronger now with less injuries, and dips are a lot more fun than bench and a lot less technical...most of the people in strength and power flamed me for it, NOW LOOK...I'M AWESOME *lets out hardy evil laugh*...rickson by armbar

I gave up benching long time ago because of tons of shoulder, elbow, chest, and wrist problems. If it wasn't one thing, it was the other. For pressing I do dumbell incline press which hasn't bothered me yet (the positioning is not as strict at with a straigth bar and the weight is a lot less) and I am doing pushups when my wrists are not bothing me. I cannot do dips at all because of a chest injury that did not heal (yes I saw the doc and there is nothing that can be done) and will likely never heal because it is cartiledge. It is not pleasant to have your ribs tearing apart rom your sternum.

I get a pain in my lower bicep aswell.. Does this mean I should stop benching?

Sean S said:
Problem is with grappling I can't see any use for a normal grip bench press anymore.

it strengthens your chest, tris and delts. no movement is ever completely "sport specific".

I don't press anymore bcuz my shoulder is so fucked up.

Urban where are u getting the tire from?

wenispinkle said:
it strengthens your chest, tris and delts. no movement is ever completely "sport specific".

Better ways to strengthen my shoulders, and chest is not really used in grappling as far as I can tell. Tricep strength does indeed have its use, but as I said I am screwing my joints somehow with close grip. Hense the need for better lifts. That and shoulders/deltoids should not be really focused on when doing a correct bench.

Fedorable said:
My elbow and shoulder joints were super achy doing dips and incline bench the other day, it hurt more than it should have, am i getting too old to lift? (I'm 24)

Look up the name Odd Haugen.

'nuff said.

Mikeultra said:
I don't press anymore bcuz my shoulder is so fucked up.

Urban where are u getting the tire from?
Just picked it up today from a tire store. Asked them for one they were throwing away and they loaded one I picked out in my truck. probably around 400 lbs. Some bigger tires seemed like a little too much for me, and 400 is alright for me to cut my teeth on and get some conditioning and technique down. Gonna cost me a pretty penny to scrap it when I move up to a heavier tire.

Urban said:
Just picked it up today from a tire store. Asked them for one they were throwing away and they loaded one I picked out in my truck. probably around 400 lbs. Some bigger tires seemed like a little too much for me, and 400 is alright for me to cut my teeth on and get some conditioning and technique down. Gonna cost me a pretty penny to scrap it when I move up to a heavier tire.

Yeah I thought of the tire thing but do not have a place to put one as of yet. Keg tossing would be the other thing I would like to do but cant' do to being in an apartment.

Urban said:

Dump it at an abanded building like two towns away.

I only do an incline shoulder press and dips and I've only been increasing my strength...everyone in my school nut-hugs the bench press, its annoying...

Back