"To gi or not to gi" by Cesar Gracie

ok,

first off -- a gi is not like real clothing: if gi was as thin as real clothing you would be buying new ones every week so yes a gi must be thick to withstand training. but i would say gi pants are a lot like jeans in strength and people wear that shit all the time. believe me.

Also, the best competitors in in nogi contests like ADCC train more in a gi than without or maybe close to 50/50.
the best black belts in the world say training in gi makes tightens up your game.
now, would i believe Roger Gracie or some "amateur fighter"?
I think roger gracie.

but it is all subjective if anyone says training in gi will make you better when you take off the gi. So all you really have to OBJECTIVELY go on is the facts which is competition wins. Who won ADCC, oh yeah that was Roger and his gi training ass.

Some people say gi is easier because it slows things down. It slows things down but does not make it easy. Is it easy to have to keep your lapels out of reach so you don't get choked. Is it easier to pass when the guy that has guard is ripping you off balance with damn gi grips you cannot break.

Wearing a gi is not like training wheels like some say.

Wearing a gi is like wearing a 100 pound flak jacket. It is much harder. But if you train wearing a 100 pound flak jacket, just think how much better you will be when you take it off.

Also, you can do a 10 finger guillotine if you are both wearing a gi. i know, it is weird, but trust me you can.

So can this please end this stupid training gi does not make you a grappler bullshit?
every few days someone makes this thread to start shit.

again, if you are considering making this topic again, go look up the ADCC champs and maybe start a GJJ is better than BJJ thread. You have a better chance of not being completely and totally wrong with factual proof to back it up.

Toodles.

- A Friend

answer this question

why don't elite judoka fuck shit up in greco roman? why don't elite greco roman not fuck shit up in judo?

because they're two different sports.

Why is because the wrestlers have trained in BJJ and the same goes for the BJJ practitioners that dominate wrestlers because they both cross train. Why have wrestlers predominately be dominating you say is the majority have already have wrestling background. But the majority BJJ practitioners many are just starting BJJ or not a provision-ate level for mma.

Why do people just see black and white but never see the gray area in between.

Did not too long ago two of the biggest heavy weights go at it and one guy won by arm triangle.

You're missing my point. Of course those wrestlers cross train in BJJ, but most of them do so without the gi. I'm fairly certain Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, etc. have not spent a significant amount of time (if any) in the gi, and they certainly are not gi champions as Cesar claims.

And if you've read any of my posts on the subject of gi vs. no-gi, you know that I am very much in the gray area on this issue. I think they are both essential to becoming a well-rounded grappler. I only tend to stick up for no-gi a lot because I think it takes a lot of undeserved flak around these parts and there are a lot more people attacking than defending it. But I love the gi and can't imagine never training in it, any more than I can imagine never training without it.

again, if you are considering making this topic again, go look up the ADCC champs and maybe start a GJJ is better than BJJ thread. You have a better chance of not being completely and totally wrong with factual proof to back it up.

This question I don't think can be answered yet.

Right now the guys winning have quite a bit of time training. Let's be honest, if you go back to when those guys started training you would have a very hard time finding many high level no-gi only places to train. As grappling without a gi gains in popularity and no-gi only schools grow in number and in skill will the trend continue? That question is a little harder. As a separate sport, it's just not as established yet.

If we could somehow erase wrestling over the past 100 years and then revive it now, I bet it would be Judo guys at the top of them for a while.

You're missing my point. Of course those wrestlers cross train in BJJ, but most of them do so without the gi. I'm fairly certain Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, etc. have not spent a significant amount of time (if any) in the gi, and they certainly are not gi champions as Cesar claims.

And if you've read any of my posts on the subject of gi vs. no-gi, you know that I am very much in the gray area on this issue. I think they are both essential to becoming a well-rounded grappler. I only tend to stick up for no-gi a lot because I think it takes a lot of undeserved flak around these parts and there are a lot more people attacking than defending it. But I love the gi and can't imagine never training in it, any more than I can imagine never training without it.

You are right I do not understand. You agree with me on some point that the wrestlers cross train but sort of take it back because the fact that they don't wear a gi. My point is regardless if they train in gi or not they are learning BJJ. I do not have problem with no gi or wrestling either. Its just that how you stated wrestlers are dominating mma without mentioning why they dominating made it seem more of a pure wrestler vs pure bjj. Which you were ignoring the fact they cross train but now that mention it later it makes sense now.

Your original post has hole in it because you left out the for mention cross training. I did not read all of youR posts because I did see anything wrong in them until the one I quoted. Your not telling the whole story in you post. Not that you were doing intentional but for reader they are not going to no any better.

I understand your point. If I can phrase it right is what you mean is wrestlers that cross train in bjj predominantly in no gi dominate the pure bjj gi wearing practitioners. That are at much higher level as far as pure bjj goes. So you have proof but don't understand why everyone else hails the gi so high and no gi so low. When even one gracies himself say you need both.

The bad reputation no gi gets is easy because those people believe tradition and no other way which is ignorance. So why not give up your gi completely because you learn how to walk before you crawl. I am not going to take it as a fact that Matt Hughes and Randy Couture don't train in a gi heavily. I know one MMA fighter that does GSP and Matt Hughes lost in that rubber match.

That last statement is more of joke not really to make a point just that it goes both way which you already know that. Those just how that original post came out with that early post made it seem a black and white statement. I see now and respect your post. Those it just that I read a lot post that people don't seem to clarify or be really specific which can make what one bad post discredit everything they say or worse send wrong message to other. Then those people take same misconception some whereelse.

All good those.

I think the discussion is taking a wild turn. What I was arguing for is that No-gi was just as effective at Gi in the streets. If high level grapplers think it tightens up their game to train in Gi for No-gi competition that's totally different.

I will say this however. I think these people train in the Gi their whole lives, they are tied to the Brazilian jui jitsu lifestyle and I think they say Gi training makes them better to keep this tradition alive so they can keep people interested and earn a living.

If Roger Gracie was to train no-gi as much as his gi I would think the difference in skill level would be negligible.

Back