• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TMA's in U.S. Military Training

A friend told me that a number of the current and older moves being taught in the U.S. armed forces are traditional martial arts moves from Karate and TKD that have virtually been proven ineffective in the past couple of decades. Do any of you have knowledge of this and could perhaps offer your thoughts on why this is or even if this is still true?

By the time I entered the military I was already a seasoned martial artist and competent in more than one form of hand-to-hand combat. So to me, the training was very basic.

Though to say what was taught was antiquated or ineffective, isn't necessarily true. Considering at the onset of MMA everyone thought percussion based systems like Karate were ineffective. People though spinning and jumping kicks were ineffective. And people thought fancy moves where people jumped off cages wouldn't ever be seen. What MMA has taught people at this stage of the game, is that it wasn't the techniques that were ineffective, it was the people themselves that were ineffective in the understanding and use of the techniques. It was the training method that was ineffective. It was the fact that people didn't test and train under pressure.

The military, as of the mid-20th century...were introduced to and assimilated many new ideas when it came to martial arts. Judo, Jujitsu, and Karate helped to mold many of the techniques known to military men for decades forward, in addition to good ol' American boxing and wrestling which was already something men practiced more often than not.

If you look at the FTM, there's breakfalls and throws that you'd see throwing styles like judo and hapkido, there's self defense techniques that still work that are present in many style of martial arts. Chokes and joint manipulations from Jujitsu, Anatomical points of interest, all the strikes in just about every form of asianic percussion arts...fists, chops, palms, elbows, knees, front-side-round kicks, cross kicks, and so forth. There's knife disarms--which to be honest are a little suspect because it's not advocating a 2-on-1 defense, but close to effective because it's at least not all slappy trappy.

So the techniques are for the most part sound. But all in all there's not enough time to train and become even as efficient as an novice civilian hobbyist fighter, because the military in general has far too many other and more valuable skills that soldiers, seaman, and airman need to know.

Anyone know why some russian soldiers trained SAMBO? From whar I understand combat sambo was for military only. Why the Russian's train like that?

Last edited:
If the OP goes down to Jacksonville and picks a fight with one Marine, other Marines will join in and kick his ass. That's a fact. Fuck you if you think real world fighting is like your muay thai 7pm class. lmao.

ok but what if I wait him outside after he exits toilet or Just goes to sleep? Will he hace his friends near? Will he entre in panic because he is alone and there is no backup?

ok but what if I wait him outside after he exits toilet or Just goes to sleep? Will he hace his friends near? Will he entre in panic because he is alone and there is no backup?

what if i already know where the marine lives, and ive been under his bed for 2 days? what if i shoot him through the bed when he goes to sleep with my zastava M57? what if i kill his dog with his own kitchen knife on the way out?

what if i already know where the marine lives, and ive been under his bed for 2 days? what if i shoot him through the bed when he goes to sleep with my zastava M57? what if i kill his dog with his own kitchen knife on the way out?

talking about hand to hand combat 1 vs 1....

Back