TMA gets defensive

I have this theory about why grappling works well. Basically, you need to be trained. A guy that doesn't know what an armbar is will give up his arm easily. A guy that doesn't know a handfull of chokes is likely to be an easy target.

The same is not true for striking. Even with no training people will put their hands up and protect their chin. Even without knowing what a right cross is people will throw one. It's not perfect but it's a right cross. The offense and defense in striking is second nature to any average athelete whlie in grappling it's not.

Because of that, grapplers can take people down and own them. TMA guys on the other hand can't land their impressive looking kicks because everybody knows basic defense. That's my theory anyway.

physicaltherapy said:
Good point, good post, good story. (My fiance is RNCing right now as I am typing this)

Your fiance trains BJJ too? If so, I feel ya, man. My girlfriend has been training like a maniac for months...one more reason why I'm stoked to learn some grappling. Stuff like that can unfavorably tip the balance of a relationship :wink:

vanguard_anon said:
I have this theory about why grappling works well. Basically, you need to be trained. A guy that doesn't know what an armbar is will give up his arm easily. A guy that doesn't know a handfull of chokes is likely to be an easy target.

The same is not true for striking. Even with no training people will put their hands up and protect their chin. Even without knowing what a right cross is people will throw one. It's not perfect but it's a right cross. The offense and defense in striking is second nature to any average athelete whlie in grappling it's not.

Because of that, grapplers can take people down and own them. TMA guys on the other hand can't land their impressive looking kicks because everybody knows basic defense. That's my theory anyway.

I could not disagree more.

Back