TMA Fans: Your experiences with Tae Kwon Do?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Keej613, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Keej613

Keej613 Guest

Attention fans of traditional martial arts: Please post up your thoughts about and experiences with Tae Kwon Do training.

Did you learn valuable striking techniques or was it just a bunch of LARPing and board-breaking?

Any info would be appreciated!

2. Chris Kimmerly

Chris Kimmerly Amateur Fighter

I studied ITF TKD and Iwouldn't have traded it for nothing. I accredit my kicing ability to TKD. Now this isnt the TKD you see in the olympics where there are no punhes to the head. It was more like kyoshinkai karate.

The fact I can throw ko kicks off my lead leg, and throw kick from any angle with any leg has help me out of tight spots in MMA

3. Kosh

Kosh Guest

Exactly. There are many TKD schools, just like Karate.

4. distorted

distorted White Belt

I did it for a while, and it seemed like the place I was at was more in for making money and keeping you there, they tossed out belts like candy, after I had been training for a couple months i was quickly humbled while sparring with a friend of mine without TKD rules.

Anyway it was probably just the school, but in my experience it wasn't the most useful experience, however... I think the kicks will always come in useful.

5. Kyryllo

Kyryllo Kia kaha e hine!

Lucerne, Switzerland (via Cologne, Germany)
    Been doing it for over 15 years now and will do it for at least 15 more.

6. Nefron

Nefron Purple Belt

It looks more like shotokan to me.

7. wildman1717

wildman1717 Green Belt

I did ITF TKD for about 13 years and agree that it is better then the WTF TKD because of the hands to the head.

8. vu

vu Purple Belt

I did WTF TKD since 1993...then picked up BJJ in 2004 and Muay Thai in 2005...been doing mostly Muay Thai since...

I can attribute my flexibility and kicking speed to TKD...I can also attribute the months of de-training I had to do to learn to keep my hands up in Muay Thai also to TKD...

Good times...

9. vangor

vangor Banned Banned

Worthless imo. They teach you a bunch worthless techiques and katas that aren't good for anything but show, and that are completely worthless in a real fight. It's more of an art form than a fighting style really.

10. Tre5sev

Tre5sev Blue Belt

No, I would say more like Hapkido.

11. Tre5sev

Tre5sev Blue Belt

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here...:icon_conf

12. True2KungFu

True2KungFu King Of No Pants

been doing wtf taekwondo for 5 years , did martial arts and boxing for 2 years prior..

i love it and credit some fantastic kicking skills and footwork to it. I love itf too and would like to get a chance to train with some upper level guys in that sometime.

Taekwondo really helped me dissect ALL the mechanics and individual parts to every kick... and maximize speed power and height. the footwork at a competive level teaches you to be really light and fast on your feet as well as evasive and use angles for striking.

the footwork and explosiveness has also helped me in judo as my turning throws are quick ...

i cant say enough ...the sport is amazing.

13. Kyryllo

Kyryllo Kia kaha e hine!

Lucerne, Switzerland (via Cologne, Germany)
    This thread is for people who have experience in tkd, not some uneducated tuf-fanboys.

FO/KY

14. Chonbody

Chonbody Guest

TKD was my first taste into martial arts. Sure, I wish there were boxing elements to it but it's a great art for increasing flexibility, discovering kick range quickly and overall great conditioning. Plus it is the sport of my people and I'm fucking proud of it, I've done BJJ, muay thai and now boxing but wouldn't take back my training in TKD for anything.

My heel kick comin' into crush you before your hands can block it or you counter it,
    still smells like the sandman at night.

15. blong

blong White Belt

I did taekwando for about a year and when I was doing it I never thought it would help me. But one day someone wanted to fight me, threw a hook, and I threw out a block. The block came outta instict I was schocked I did it lol. I got my basic techniques down from it and some quick reactions.

16. vangor

vangor Banned Banned

Taekwondo is for girls and little kids who don't want any contact.

17. NinjaKilla187

NinjaKilla187 Blue Belt

I stopped training TKD about 15 years ago. We were doing round robin sparring on Saturday and we had some very experienced guys in from another club. I was landing my lead roundhouse at will against them. By the end of class I had guys saying "man that Tae Kwon Do guy has a sick lead roundhouse kick." And, like I said, I ain't trained TKD in years.

The hand techniques suck, defense sucks, footwork sucks but the kicks are money if you don't get stupid with the jump spinning stuff. Even then, every once in a while you can surprise the shit out of someone with a good spinning kick.

18. Kosh

Kosh Guest

No special point. You can't judge the whole of the Martial Art based on one school...

19. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier White Belt

I've been training TKD on and off since 1976 and will continue to as long as I can suck air past my teeth. I'll be testing for 4th degree in June.

I am always amused at the people who whine that there's no punching to the head in tournament sparring. That's sort of like complaining that you can't headbutt, throw elbows or knees to the groin in boxing to me.

20. RandomXMAN

RandomXMAN Green Belt

This is one of the things TKD gets complimented on.