Tko via low kicks

This is true, but since Thais are good checking, some Thais are good at kicking guys that are good at checking, moreso than what you see in MMA/Kickboxing. Just adds a deeper element to the game.
And in addition to Thais being good at checking, they fight so often that they can’t afford to damage their shins by being checked. MMA fighters who fight 2-3 times a year can bang up their shins and not worry about fighting the next month. If they see an opening they will take it and chop their opponent down but it really comes down to risk vs reward.

And in addition to Thais being good at checking, they fight so often that they can’t afford to damage their shins by being checked. MMA fighters who fight 2-3 times a year can bang up their shins and not worry about fighting the next month. If they see an opening they will take it and chop their opponent down but it really comes down to risk vs reward.

I’m only seeing limited evidence of that from this thread though.

Chamuaktong had the look of a guy who didn’t feel he was getting paid enough to bother. Maybe he had some kind of injury.

Nevertheless I’ve seen a lot of hard low kicks here from recent fights.

Also they fought regularly in the golden era and had no problem pummelling each other’s legs.

Chamuaktong had the look of a guy who didn’t feel he was getting paid enough to bother. Maybe he had some kind of injury.

Also they fought regularly in the golden era and had no problem pummelling each other’s legs.

Well it did happen in the golden era, just like it happens nowadays. I just don't think it is very prevalent at high levels.

People talk alot about the golden era but aside from the punching style which changed due to the small gloves, as well as the multitude of legendary fighters, I am not not sure that I see such a huge difference.

From a thread highlighting low kick (t)KOs yeah that shouldn’t be a surprise. Yes of course they still use low kicks at the highest level but they set them up/time them well when they see an opening and don’t throw them as often or with wreck less abandon.

And Chamuaktong (weird way to spell his name that’s not at all how it sounds in person) didn’t get paid enough to what? Prevent himself from being (t)KO’ed? Obviously must have been injured or gotten injured in the fight because with the gambling that goes on in Thailand you wouldn’t simply give up.

Low kicks are a big part of yodlekpet and rafi's game. Yodlekpet has used lowkicks to beat sangmanee and panpayak (the fighter of the year panpayak) Didn't stop them with low kicks but hurt both of them with them and i commented at the time could of stopped panpayak with them if he wanted. Rafi has stopped kongsak and chakmuathong with them and hurt a number of top fighters with low kicks.

fight hype adrenaline and nerves etc, you probably wont feel the leg kick much until about the 3rd one or so, after that, you will think to yourself, oh shit, dont let that happen again.

I think that most elite kickers will throw a few low kicks in early rounds and if it doesn't seem to hurt their opponent they'll use more mid kicks to score with. Guys who use low kicks heavily throughout the fights usually aren't the best mid kickers.

I'm not an expert in muay thai competitions but hasn't the style changed from the "golden era" to nowadays?
IIRC Samart was complaining about that a while ago saying that the gambling and judging changed everything.

That might be a factor.

I think that most elite kickers will throw a few low kicks in early rounds and if it doesn't seem to hurt their opponent they'll use more mid kicks to score with.
I see this happening in amateur muay thai and kickboxing competitions here all the time.

They dont even teach to check lows in eastern europe i mean they do of course but not as a tactic

Ukrainians are taught to answer low kick with their own low kick,they dont check lol

Main event in Lumpinee yesterday:

As the highlight video I posted above seems to have been removed from youtube I thought I'd add a few other ones:

Needless to say, no it's not rare for fights to end with low kicks tko's at the highest levels of Muay Thai, it's actually quite common.

Back