TKD + Muay Thai + Boxing = Perfect Combination

UltimateOllie

White Belt
Reaction score
Nowadays boxing and Muay Thai are the standard striking arts taught in any MMA gym. However, a lot of people underestimate the effectiveness of other striking arts when used in combination with the standard Muay Thai and boxing arts. For example, Anderson Silva has an extensive background in TKD, which I believe has greatly contributed to his kicking technique and his uniquely graceful style. If you want to see Silva using some classic TKD kicks check out his fight with Lee Murray. Another top striker with extensive TKD training is Cung Le. Consequently, I think cross training in TKD could help many fighters improve their striking.

2240216168_c035a4e0dd_o.jpg

anderson has shitty muay thai. its crazy how hyped his technique is

TKD and Karate are absolutely the best base for martial arts as a child. They teach discipline, technique, proper kicks and have loads of children classes available throughout the U.S. They may not be the most effective TMA's but they build a solid foundation on which to build later on in life.

For full contact sparring (when you get older) Muay Thai and Boxing is a must.

I think that could help but I think you would be better off doing muay thai + boxing + grappling instead.

Lol, the two Rich Franklin fights are what made people call him a Muay Thai master.

Anderson isn't the best Muay Thai practitioner but it seemed that way after exposing Franklin's terrible clinch defense.

Lately, Anderson has been leaning more and more to his boxing.

i think: if you got Muay Thai as your main base, then you should go to fine tune your boxing.. Then if you got the time and opportunity, find a good kicking art to teach you some strange/fancy kicks that goes well with your more normal kicks from MT.. This will become the best and most complete striking base..

IMHO

i think: if you got Muay Thai as your main base, then you should go to fine tune your boxing.. Then if you got the time and opportunity, find a good kicking art to teach you some strange/fancy kicks that goes well with your more normal kicks from MT.. This will become the best and most complete striking base..

IMHO

I agree with this. I think cross training in a kicking art such as TKD will add a unique edge to your striking once you've got the basics of Muay Thai and Boxing.

Nowadays boxing and Muay Thai are the standard striking arts taught in any MMA gym. However, a lot of people underestimate the effectiveness of other striking arts when used in combination with the standard Muay Thai and boxing arts. For example, Anderson Silva has an extensive background in TKD, which I believe has greatly contributed to his kicking technique and his uniquely graceful style. If you want to see Silva using some classic TKD kicks check out his fight with Lee Murray. Another top striker with extensive TKD training is Cung Le. Consequently, I think cross training in TKD could help many fighters improve their striking.

Over the years I have trained all three styles and they mesh well.

true, but that combination is sooo fuckin boring. All you get is half assed boxing, half assed MT, and half assed grappling anyway. Add some new style to the mix. I mean, MMA is just churning out carbon copy fighters.

*end rant*

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Style?????

Look into Yaw-Yan kickboxing. A ring sport like MT, but with flashy TKD style kicks as well. Seems to be dominating the PI MMA/iscene, but haven't seen any practitioners compete internationally.

Ah yeah i have an old Yaw yan article in and black belt mag issue.

They do or either used to have a thick board they dipped in glue and wrapped in thick rope that they kicked :eek:

Why not just do MT and learn that style that Saenchai does? And maybe work on boxing on top of it.

I consider the system to be the curriculum one learns to fight with. The style is the individual's expression of that system.

Human body mechanics are pretty universal. A round kick is a round kick no matter what system it is. There are only slight variations in the technique from one system to another IME.

So learning TKD/MT/SD/KK or whatever...you're going to end up with a person that knows how to punch and kick. As long as training is done in a pragmatic way and is tested consistently, you will always have somewhat of a carbon copy because the universal truths in fighting dictate the ways people fight--not some doctrine.

anderson has shitty muay thai. its crazy how hyped his technique is

Yeah, totally bro!

166hb9j.jpg

xpnic3.jpg

anderson-silva_forrest-griffin_62412.gif

1z54qja.gif

2zhdxdz.jpg

What a scrub! He couldn't beat Andy Wang in a kickboxing match LOL

The only unique kicks that are really applicable to MMA are spinning back/ side kicks (which are also in Muay Thai), and maybe a spinning hook kick, or flying kicks. If you're going to supplement your training to learn kicks like that, it seems like Sanshou or Kyokushin would be better to that end.

But realistically, if you're an MMAist, unless you already have an extensive background going into your training, you're just going to be training MMA- geared striking anyways. We're getting to the point where high- percentage moves are becoming extremely widespread and trained, so someone who can execute & defend those proficiently, as well as bring some unorthodox moves that they can do well and turn into high percentage moves, will be successful.

Look at what Machida was able to do until he was figured out by Shogun. Look at what Anderson does to guys who can't take him down. Look at what Fedor did to the HW division for 9+ years. Those are all guys who have very solid fundamentals, who can execute & defend against the basics; however, it was their unique physical abilities and skillset that allowed them to dominate.

LMAO at the Silva + Griffin gif (number 3)
Reminds me of my first time boxing, I missed everything I threw and got popped in the face coming forward. Hilarious.

TKD and Karate are absolutely the best base for martial arts as a child. They teach discipline, technique, proper kicks and have loads of children classes available throughout the U.S. They may not be the most effective TMA's but they build a solid foundation on which to build later on in life.

For full contact sparring (when you get older) Muay Thai and Boxing is a must.

Yeah because the Thais don't start training in MT from like age 6 and they aren't any good at MT anyway :rolleyes:

Not saying TKD/Karate aren't useful but there is no reason you can't start MT early. I've seen plenty of kids at MT fights going at it, I'm not keen on head shots as far as developing kids are concerned but there is no reason they can't be learning good technique and throwing to the body. Same with boxing.

Boxing and MT are easily good enough as a base. TKD is supplemental and not necessary at all. Jose Aldo to me is the best striker in MMA at the minute. And MT has spinning kicks and jumping kicks, christ they even have a handstand kick!

Last edited:
Back