TJ Dillashaw at Flyweight

Kingfarthur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
TJ said recently on the Joe Rogan podcast that he easily could make 125. He said he walks around at 148, and would be open for cutting down for a superfight with MM.

Discuss if and when you think he should do this, and how you think it would go for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxrPM1Q-Xeg

1:42 They start talking about the Flyweights

Last edited:
maybe defend the belt first before doing a superfight?

He has plenty on his plate at BW as it is and his speed and cardio advantage is more pronounced at his current weightclass than it would be there.

I also think MM will eventually be returning to BW for a superfight down the line so I don't see much motivation for the possible move at least anytime soon.

That said, if TJ wants to challenge himself down the line with new opponents and a new strap then more power to him.

TJ said recently on the Joe Rogan podcast that he easily could make 125. He said he walks around at 148, and would be open for cutting down for a superfight with MM.

Discuss if and when you think he should do this, and how you think it would go for him.

i dont think he has the speed for flyweight.

Defend your title a few times, keep growing as a fighter.

Also, never ever trade speed for power or size.

"I'm always up for the best challenge, he beat a p4p Legend in barao and id love to grow my legacy against tj" -bones

maybe defend the belt first before doing a superfight?

Not sure what's up with all the Americans beating Brazilians than instantly talking about superfights before their first defense*.

First Chris, now TJ.

*Chris was talking about fighting Jones before defending the belt against Anderson.

Minimum 3 defenses before talk of a "superfight" with someone of a different weight class

Not sure what's up with all the Americans beating Brazilians than instantly talking about superfights before their first defense*.

First Chris, now TJ.

*Chris was talking about fighting Jones before defending the belt against Anderson.

if the brazilians could stop losing then we wouldn't have this problem. Blame the men who lost, not the winners who are simply talking/ hyping / foreshadowing another challenge down the road

If Dillashaw is confident he can win at a lower weight class do it and be a 2 division champ. DJ is tough but it would be a hell of a fight if his speed improved. He should fight a match or 2 to adjust if impressive then go for history.

Yeah, he looked significantly larger than TJ. FW is definitely in his future.

He was a FW before.

I still stand by my affirmation that we will see his best version back at FW once Aldo moves up as well. It's not a popular opinion especially now that he lost, but it's what I truly think.

I wonder what Dodson has to say about this.

I don't know why all of you think defending the belt is a necessity before a super fight. I'm always excited for a cross-weight class fight, even when it doesn't involve champions. When someone at the top of a division talks about changing divisions for a fight it gets my panties wet. I'm excited to see any champions square off against each other, whether they have zero defenses or 15 defenses.

I understand that it "holds up the division" but he could always abandon the belt for it then either stay at 125 or go back to 135. It's not like giving up the strap for a super fight is going to hurt his pocketbook or his standings in everyone's mind.

I don't know why all of you think defending the belt is a necessity before a super fight. I'm always excited for a cross-weight class fight, even when it doesn't involve champions. When someone at the top of a division talks about changing divisions for a fight it gets my panties wet. I'm excited to see any champions square off against each other, whether they have zero defenses or 15 defenses.

I understand that it "holds up the division" but he could always abandon the belt for it then either stay at 125 or go back to 135. It's not like giving up the strap for a super fight is going to hurt his pocketbook or his standings in everyone's mind.

It's not like we all wouldn't watch the hell out of TJ vs any top FlyW. It's just it's nice to have new champs and champs in general speak towards the fact that having the strap means there's a target on your back. Looking forward too far can easily make a challenger sneak up on you. Barao was guilty of this. Not that I think TJ is actually looking past Assuncao.

Back