Tito - "I'm only 43 years old, I'm an old mature, I'm a mature old, I'm very fast"

43 is the new 25...
unless you had your skull cracked. Then you're as good as dead :D.

Yes.

Rich? Must be smart!

This is a very stupid way of thinking.

Do you know anything about his background whatsoever? He didn’t inherit millions of dollars from daddy. His parents were drug addicts. He was in gangs as a kid. He made all this money in a sport that nobody watched. Nobody cared about. He was the first legit star in the sport. And he did that with his boss trying to cut his legs off from underneath him. If I put you in the exact same circumstances how are you going to come out of it? Probably still dead broke.

Do you know anything about his background whatsoever? He didn’t inherit millions of dollars from daddy. His parents were drug addicts. He was in gangs as a kid. He made all this money in a sport that nobody watched. Nobody cared about. He was the first legit star in the sport. And he did that with his boss trying to cut his legs off from underneath him. If I put you in the exact same circumstances how are you going to come out of it? Probably still dead broke.

Great post. Was never a big Tito fan as a fighter but he deserves the utmost respect for his perseverance and contributions to helping popularize MMA.

He's THE poet laureate of MMA and a linguist without equal!

Last edited:
Only on Sherdog could you have a thread about Tito Ortiz devolve into a debate about Noam Chomsky.

{<jordan}

God bless this place.

Ok, so, to break down what Tito is attempting to communicate with the grapes, cheese and violin thing to non native speakers...here goes:

Ok, for context, chuck had said that Tito was jealous. Tito is responded to that claim. He starts with, he’s reaching for those grapes. This is an allusion to the famous sour grapes fable from Aesop’s fables. He then says he’s trying to make his wine...this could potentially be an allusion to the old saying, “would you like some cheese with that wine?” Which Tito will use later on, or it could just be a misunderstanding of the sour grapes fable. He then says the wine is sounding like a violin and makes a small
Hand gesture near his face. At this point, Tito is both confused and flustered. He knows he sounds like a goof, but still tries to recover. What he’s trying to get at here is him playing the “world’s smallest violin,” basically a way of saying, shut up and stop complaining. He then brings back the wine and the cheese, although not explicit, it’s pretty clear he’s trying to allude to the “would you like some cheese with that wine” rib.

So, in short, Chuck Is the one who’s actually jealous. Tito doesn’t care and chuck should stop whining.

Seeing as intelligence is largely inherited, his parents both being loser drug addicts is actually a strong indicator of low intelligence.

Look, i get the guy made a lot of money, and sure, he’s not like a 65 IQ, but just listening to him talk you can see he’s not very intelligent. He seems to really struggle with very basic concepts, or even just complete thoughts. It’s not that he’s just uneducated, the man is a dunce. Compare him to someone like Jalen Rose, former NBA Star and now commentator. Rose comes from one of the worst neighborhoods in the country, no educTion whatsoever. When he talks, he uses slang, he will even use words incorrectly from time to time. However, if you can get past that, you realize he’s an insightful, intelligent man. That’s not what’s going on with Tito. Tito is a fucking idiot. And if you can’t see that, you’re probably a fucking idiot too.

Tito is just so profoundly unlikeable. It’s funny if you look at the Sonnen fight. Chael talked a ton of shit going in. Was really nasty to Tito. Lost in spectacularly embarrassing fashion, and everyone still loves Chael and hates Tito.

Seeing as intelligence is largely inherited, his parents both being loser drug addicts is actually a strong indicator of low intelligence.

Look, i get the guy made a lot of money, and sure, he’s not like a 65 IQ, but just listening to him talk you can see he’s not very intelligent. He seems to really struggle with very basic concepts, or even just complete thoughts. It’s not that he’s just uneducated, the man is a dunce. Compare him to someone like Jalen Rose, former NBA Star and now commentator. Rose comes from one of the worst neighborhoods in the country, no educTion whatsoever. When he talks, he uses slang, he will even use words incorrectly from time to time. However, if you can get past that, you realize he’s an insightful, intelligent man. That’s not what’s going on with Tito. Tito is a fucking idiot. And if you can’t see that, you’re probably a fucking idiot too.
I’ll also add that while Dana def went for Tito later in his career, he did everything to build Him into a star during the come up.

Ok, so, to break down what Tito is attempting to communicate with the grapes, cheese and violin thing to non native speakers...here goes:

Ok, for context, chuck had said that Tito was jealous. Tito is responded to that claim. He starts with, he’s reaching for those grapes. This is an allusion to the famous sour grapes fable from Aesop’s fables. He then says he’s trying to make his wine...this could potentially be an allusion to the old saying, “would you like some cheese with that wine?” Which Tito will use later on, or it could just be a misunderstanding of the sour grapes fable. He then says the wine is sounding like a violin and makes a small
Hand gesture near his face. At this point, Tito is both confused and flustered. He knows he sounds like a goof, but still tries to recover. What he’s trying to get at here is him playing the “world’s smallest violin,” basically a way of saying, shut up and stop complaining. He then brings back the wine and the cheese, although not explicit, it’s pretty clear he’s trying to allude to the “would you like some cheese with that wine” rib.

So, in short, Chuck Is the one who’s actually jealous. Tito doesn’t care and chuck should stop whining.
Spot on.

Almost all of Tito's legendary speaking performances involve him having too many thoughts in his head at once and not having the capability to sort them out into a logical presentation. It becomes this jumbled mess of punch lines from something that has nothing to do with the other and vice versa. When he realizes he's told the punchline to a joke he didn't mention he gets flustered and it spirals downhill even worse. The guy is fucking gold.

He's one of the most unintentionally hilarious human beings I've ever come across.

I'm pretty sure that English Academics aren't expected to be terrific story tellers.

And "teaching" is only a minor aspect of any academics career.

You can fact-check that with your friend. Although he'll probably just agree with whatever you say just to get you to stfu.

Your opening line agrees with me. If you can claim to be an expert at something without being able to use it practically, then you aren't an expert.

An academic researches a tiny and very specific area of a particular field, then teaches and writes papers. My friend is an academic and expert in examining the similarities between English pronouns and Dutch pronouns or some shit like that. You think he's more of an expert in the English language than fucking Shakespeare? Get a grip.

I spent a lot of time with academics while studying for my masters, and they are usually halfwits dedicating their life to a pointless, minute area of study that no one gives a shit about and has no impact on the world. Get off their dicks with the hero worship.

Admire the doers, not the sayers.

Nah, waste of time. I can already tell that you're somebody who places more importance on titles and qualifications than the functional message or observation being presented.

You live in your partisan world whereby Chomsky and other great thinkers are morons because their political affiliations are on the opposite spectrum of your own. Imagine limiting yourself like that.

Have a great day.

The irony, it looks to me like you don’t actually know why you believe him to be one of the great thinkers. Instead you want to attack me for completely fictional reasons

On Chomsky, if we were specifically talking about his work in linguistics, I’d have no beef. Everything I’ve see from him outside of his area of specialty is seriously lacking.

But, If you prefer to avoid having an actual conversation, whatever floats your boat.

They do a lot of teaching but the job primarily is research and co-ordinating research.

I'm married to one so think I might know a little bit about it than you.

Perhaps the experience of your wife has skewed your perspective. The majority of academic positions in the majority of countries involve a significant amount of teaching and teaching related time.

In my personal experience about 50% of your time. This will obviously vary, with some outliers at either end of the spectrum. But as a general rule significant hours go each week toward teaching.

Even if you talk about specifically research, most research for experienced, published professors is actually done by their students.

The irony, it looks to me like you don’t actually know why you believe him to be one of the great thinkers. Instead you want to attack me for completely fictional reasons

On Chomsky, if we were specifically talking about his work in linguistics, I’d have no beef. Everything I’ve see from him outside of his area of specialty is seriously lacking.

But, If you prefer to avoid having an actual conversation, whatever floats your boat.
There's no point in conversing further. It's pretty clear that you only take people seriously if they have a degree on their wall.

He's been recognized globally, in many areas not related to linguistics, for being one of the most prominent thinkers of the last 100 years...........but I'll take your word for it.

Perhaps the experience of your wife has skewed your perspective. The majority of academic positions in the majority of countries involve a significant amount of teaching and teaching related time.

In my personal experience about 50% of your time. This will obviously vary, with some outliers at either end of the spectrum. But as a general rule significant hours go each week toward teaching.

Even if you talk about specifically research, most research for experienced, published professors is actually done by their students.
Ah. I can see now that you are one those guys that is an expert on absolutely everything.

Ah. I can see now that you are one those guys that is an expert on absolutely everything.
Imagine how much delusion is required for some arm-chair nobody to come on an MMA forum and declare Noam Chomsky a moron, in the face of 60+ years of global recognition in a variety of disciplines and thought.

You couldn't make up this level of absurdity. The guy is as close-minded as they come, not worth your time mate.

Tito always thanks
Imagine how much delusion is required for some arm-chair nobody to come on an MMA forum and declare Noam Chomsky a moron, in the face of 60+ years of global recognition in a variety of disciplines and thought.

You couldn't make up this level of absurdity. The guy is as close-minded as they come, not worth your time mate.

To be fair, if you're going to use the argument from authority based on his qualifications, then proclaiming himself to be a geopolitical expert because he studied linguistics is arguably moronic and structurally undermines the defence of him being an intellectual based on his accreditation.

His defence and advocacy of anarcho syndicalism is so devoid from the reality of world politics and human behaviour that you just think, "how the fuck can this guy be taken seriously?".

He's definitely done a good job positing himself as an intellectual, and in cognitive studies etc he is, but he's still a fucking moron when it comes to politics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmaltheknight
Back