Tire Flipping Advice

PubCrawler

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm working on getting a large tire for our school so we can flip/drag/sledge hammer it as part of our training. Any suggestions on tire choice, excercise suggestions, etc?

(I tried to use the search function, but 'tire' brings up half the threads on Sherdog.)

Get a few different sized tires. Ones people realise the technique they can flip substensially heavier tires. And the ones you want to be flipping are a real bitch to drag. The surface of the rubber does not slide well. I have a +400lb tire and to move it I just roll it or flip it where I want it. I got a smaller one (~200lb) for draging and pulling and it is killing me. + you can add weight to the ones you dont flip. So if possible get 200lb, 400lb and ~600lb. And regular donuts are great too, Great for tossing.

Oh, and few pointers:

You want the flipping tires have a decent surface to them so you can have a good grip, if they are to worn down, it gets really hard to flip.

Check your local auto and tire shops that actually change the tires at the spot, they usually are happy to get rid of the big ones cos they have to pay the recycling fee or something like that.

Tire flipping is good enough exersice by itself, and draging too. Get some rope while your at it and do hand over hand pulls with the draging tire.

Another good drill is tire grappling (courtesy of the guys at Diesel Crew), where two people get on opposite sides of a large tire and push against it, attempting to get it past their partner. Be sure to match up athletes of similar strength levels so one doesn't get squashed.

I've also seen a regular tire used like a tornado ball.

Another good drill is tire grappling (courtesy of the guys at Diesel Crew), where two people get on opposite sides of a large tire and push against it, attempting to get it past their partner. Be sure to match up athletes of similar strength levels so one doesn't get squashed.

I've also seen a regular tire used like a tornado ball.

Good stuff.

Last saturday committed a suicide with the tire and rock. Thought to my seelf it would be a great idea to combine the two great ones. So here is how it went.

Took a medium sized rock, 200lb's aproximately, naturally shaped nasty bugger. Lifted the rock like one would when loading it on a high platform but instead drop'd it inside the tire.
Then vigoriously proceeded to flip the tire and the rock remaind onthe ground, again in front of the tire. Lifted it again, carried it to the tire and drop'd it in. Flip'd the tire and it took me three attempts get the bastard to the tire, drop'd it in and flip'd it and died happy. After resurrection I did it again. A real killer.

I shall call it The Tired Rock.

Edit: For this to work perfectly make sure that the rock is large enough that it dont actually bounce in the tire or lay on the rim...

Good stuff.

Last saturday committed a suicide with the tire and rock. Thought to my seelf it would be a great idea to combine the two great ones. So here is how it went.

Took a medium sized rock, 200lb's aproximately, naturally shaped nasty bugger. Lifted the rock like one would when loading it on a high platform but instead drop'd it inside the tire.
Then vigoriously proceeded to flip the tire and the rock remaind onthe ground, again in front of the tire. Lifted it again, carried it to the tire and drop'd it in. Flip'd the tire and it took me three attempts get the bastard to the tire, drop'd it in and flip'd it and died happy. After resurrection I did it again. A real killer.

I shall call it The Tired Rock.

Edit: For this to work perfectly make sure that the rock is large enough that it dont actually bounce in the tire or lay on the rim...

Hmmmm, kinda like combining Atlas stones with tire flipping.... I like it!

Hmmmm, kinda like combining Atlas stones with tire flipping.... I like it!

You got it! It look'd good on the paper...

And there is a hidden complex properties there too. The heavy stone grinding lift and the explosive tireflip. But it tends to get more on the grinding side towards the end...

That's pretty sweet. I think I'll try it with a sandbag, since there are no large rocks around my neighborhood.

At our training boot camps we will use tires a lot. We have like a 350 pound one and we get guys of relative size and strength and they flip it back and forth and see who can go the longest. Aside from the other stuff guys have mentioned tire sprints while dragging one is a good one to really work your legs and your lungs. A regular sized tire will work good for that.

les schwabs or john deer have always came through for me/ all you have to do is give em about a week and they will have one for you, you just gotta go pick it up

Back