Tips on randori with a wrestler

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i'm doing randori with this guy at my school and he knows wrestling. I. Cant. Get. Him. Down. Its super annoying. He takes a bent over wrestling stance and it trips me up, metaphoricly. He is significantly taller then me and i can not get my legs close enough to his to do anything i know how to do.

I'm a tall wrestler. Tell me what randori is and I'll tell you my kriptonite

"How do i beat a grappler with better grappling than me at grappling?"

There are reasons why grappling sports penalise stalling tactics(sometimes). They're pretty effective, but they make it awful to watch and especially in training, why would anyone bother stalling?

Having said that, don't let him establish both grips first. If he is bent over, there is more of his back that's exposed to grip. Try a sumi gaeshi, or attacks from 2-on-1, like kata guruma, ko soto gari and uki waza.

Grip is collar first and control him, this should negate his shots.

As for taking him down, much more difficult. Use foot sweeps and hard kuzushi to set up your throws.

You mean he’s in better position than you and better at grappling?

What exactly is your question? Serious question not being sarcastic

Spam lateral drops until you get one lmao

Do osoto garis, you'll kill people that way and be immortalized in f12 forever

You mean he’s in better position than you and better at grappling?

What exactly is your question? Serious question not being sarcastic

'Better position' in a wrestling sense is almost impossible to stop in a gi until you're quite good. It's why Judo has so many stalling calls. The problem is, it's also much harder to attack from a low base with your hips back in Judo than it would be in wrestling. My experience with wrestlers first starting stand up in Judo is that they actually have to unlearn quite a bit of their positioning instincts, just because it's so hard to get off any good attacks from a typical wrestling stance when you're wearing the PJs. You have to be a lot more upright.

Crouching or stooped over stances are very common in jiu-jitsu, so one of the most common attacks is the collar whip.

Some analysts (like in bjjscouts video on Rodolfo's takedown game) call it a morote seoi, because it uses a collar grip, but it tends to be less of a fully turning throw compared to how you might do a morote seoi in IJF competition, and more or of a corkscrewing motion; it bears substantial similarities with snapdowns and collar drags actually, i'd say.

It's a reliable option since the attacker doesn't have to really overly expose themselves to anything going for it, and one whip can be chained into just another and another, until you get them down. If ippons are not something that's going to win you the match, you just need to do what gets the job done.

Eg;

Last edited:
If the guy knows how to wrestle, he's better at fighting than anyone in your trash gym. You should pay him to coach you so you can learn something useful.

'Better position' in a wrestling sense is almost impossible to stop in a gi until you're quite good. It's why Judo has so many stalling calls. The problem is, it's also much harder to attack from a low base with your hips back in Judo than it would be in wrestling. My experience with wrestlers first starting stand up in Judo is that they actually have to unlearn quite a bit of their positioning instincts, just because it's so hard to get off any good attacks from a typical wrestling stance when you're wearing the PJs. You have to be a lot more upright.
He never specified if it was go or nogi so I was trying to figure out what he meant lol

He never specified if it was go or nogi so I was trying to figure out what he meant lol

Let's be honest, in no gi he has no chance in hell. He is wrestling at that point.

Back