Tips for sore knuckle?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Been having a sore index finger knuckle for almost a month know, It's on my right hand and since I'm a southpaw I can train with it but I can't hit the bag without pain and it hurts like hell when I have to catch a punch. Right now I'm avoiding wrapping that hand which relieves some pressure (I'm not hitting the bag and using it only for jabs atm)

Is there any way to relieve the pain? I already took 10 days off and the pain dissapeared but as soon as I started again it came back and I don't want to take off more than 2 weeks just because of 1 sore knuckle

How long have you been training for?10 days off you should be fine unless you might have a small fracture or your landing your punches wrong then might not be making a proper fist if you are newer.Check out Sinister fist tutorial http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/sinister-fist-tutorial-2236285/ it's easy to want to scoff at something as simple of making a fist properly thinking they got it down right but if you read alot of the posts alot of guys who said they have been training for a while say it makes a difference and where never shown that including myself.

Last edited:
Glucosamine is said to be nice on joint pain.
Talk about it to your coach.
See a doctor if healthcare allow it.

I got it for wrapping between my fingers, and doctor will just say the same thing he always does: rest.

But I dont want to take 2-3 weeks off because of one sore knuckle

why don't you stop short of landing the punch with that fist. thats what I try to do whenever I cut my knuckles.

I got it for wrapping between my fingers, and doctor will just say the same thing he always does: rest.

But I dont want to take 2-3 weeks off because of one sore knuckle

Then practice your kicks and condition your shins. Let your hands rest while you do that.

Then when your shins are blue, rest and work your hands again.

Double wrap that hand. Put a second hand wrap just over the sore area and than apply your regular hand wrap over that. Use to know a guy who did this regularly because he hit hard and had smal hands so he constantly hurt his hands.

1) rest your hands
2) get a better pair of gloves (ringside IMF, winning, or grant w/orthopedic foam.
3) make sure you are punching with correct knuckle placement
4) if you have pain after training, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevation (RICE)

Funnily enough I had index first knuckle pain on my lead hand and it turned out to be the way I held Thai pads. Now I keep my hands flat instead of gripping the pads and I'm all better. Also I wrap inbetween fingers, but not too tight.

Back