Injured knuckle

Xoleth

You're only winning if someone is losing.
@Black
Reaction score
Mention: I'm just a guy in his 30s who likes to hit the heavy bag, I don't compete.
For several years, I didn't have this problem.
6-7 months ago... I started having a sharp pain in my knuckle, in my left hand (southpaw turned orthodox, but still the left arm is stronger than my right arm, and I like to switch stances, just for fun)
The pain is temporary... it hurts only when I hit the bag.
It hurts for 1-2 days after, if I press strongly on the knukle with my fingers, but very tolereable.
I also lift weights and I don't have any pain during this, I can extend my fingers without problems.
I took several breaks, during these months, from hitting the bag.
Yesterday, after 2 months, I tried hitting the bag again and... the pain was still there. Not as sharp, though... I didn't hit with full power.
Straight punches or hooks, it hurts.
Except body hooks, but I guess it is because of the position of the fist during the impact.

Any advice?
Should I take an x-ray or is it something that just happens and let it rest more?

I read about tapping the two main fingers together and about using a sponge with a hole in the injured area, so the other knukles can absorb the impact.

Yes, I am using wraps.

1711350610951.png

If you can get an xray I say do it, it will clear your mind.

I also had pain in fingers from not wrapping my hands and going hard on the body in sparring (elbows). Shit takes forever to heal even if it's not a serious injury. Just like toes in judo.

Mention: I'm just a guy in his 30s who likes to hit the heavy bag, I don't compete.
For several years, I didn't have this problem.
6-7 months ago... I started having a sharp pain in my knuckle, in my left hand (southpaw turned orthodox, but still the left arm is stronger than my right arm, and I like to switch stances, just for fun)
The pain is temporary... it hurts only when I hit the bag.
It hurts for 1-2 days after, if I press strongly on the knukle with my fingers, but very tolereable.
I also lift weights and I don't have any pain during this, I can extend my fingers without problems.
I took several breaks, during these months, from hitting the bag.
Yesterday, after 2 months, I tried hitting the bag again and... the pain was still there. Not as sharp, though... I didn't hit with full power.
Straight punches or hooks, it hurts.
Except body hooks, but I guess it is because of the position of the fist during the impact.

Any advice?
Should I take an x-ray or is it something that just happens and let it rest more?

I read about tapping the two main fingers together and about using a sponge with a hole in the injured area, so the other knukles can absorb the impact.

Yes, I am using wraps.

View attachment 1036320
This type of injury and the same knuckle (though mine was my right hand) is what ended my boxing career lol. It is likely an injury to your tendon sheath or tendon itself. Welcome to the condition called boxers knuckle. A sagittal band injury. Go to a doctor, get an xray and potentially an ultrasound. They will tell you the best course of action. For me personally my knuckle is fucked and that's GG on my boxing career.

How heavy are your gloves? What brand?

12 oz - I am not from US, it is a local brand.
Also, 16 oz Everlast, but I rarely use them. I used them in sparring, just because they offer better protection.
I feel more comfortable with the 12 oz. I am 186 lbs, with small wrists.
Also, I used Venum gel wraps instead of traditional wraps.
I know that pros recommend using traditional wraps, but since it's just a hobby and I'm just not that good at putting them, I thought gel wraps are easier and why not...

A sagittal band injury.

I've read about those, but I thought it wasn't the case since the knuckle seems OK visually. And seeing photos with sagittal band injuries, all of them have the bone or the tendon twisted/curved.

Quick wraps vs. Hand wraps isn’t an either/or question, it’s a both/and situation. Buy some 180” wraps, watch a YouTube video and practice wrapping your hands until you’re comfortable with it. Wear the gel wraps under them.

That extra 4oz of weight is typically in the front padding of the glove, providing more protection for your hands. It’ll cost you a little money, typically 80-120 American bucks but if you buy some nicer gloves your hands will thank you

12 oz - I am not from US, it is a local brand.
Also, 16 oz Everlast, but I rarely use them. I used them in sparring, just because they offer better protection.
I feel more comfortable with the 12 oz. I am 186 lbs, with small wrists.
Also, I used Venum gel wraps instead of traditional wraps.
I know that pros recommend using traditional wraps, but since it's just a hobby and I'm just not that good at putting them, I thought gel wraps are easier and why not...

I've read about those, but I thought it wasn't the case since the knuckle seems OK visually. And seeing photos with sagittal band injuries, all of them have the bone or the tendon twisted/curved.
IMO if you have issues with your knuckles you should buy long wraps and learn to wrap them with the method where you fold some layers of wrap in front of your knuckles and then do a bunch of Xs around your fingers. It s not about not being good. It s about protecting your hands.

IMO if you have issues with your knuckles you should buy long wraps and learn to wrap them with the method where you fold some layers of wrap in front of your knuckles and then do a bunch of Xs around your fingers. It s not about not being good. It s about protecting your hands.

I have long ones.
I just put them on.
It feels OK, but not happy with what I've done... visually.
I've done what Chandler recommends.
Why are the gel wraps blamed? The gel padding seems to protect the knuckles well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2
Quick wraps vs. Hand wraps isn’t an either/or question, it’s a both/and situation. Buy some 180” wraps, watch a YouTube video and practice wrapping your hands until you’re comfortable with it. Wear the gel wraps under them.

Aren't knuckle pads easier to wear under than gel wraps?
Seems too much padding with both of them.

1711388666565.png

I've had this before but never knew it had a name ("boxer's knuckle").

I have long ones.
I just put them on.
It feels OK, but not happy with what I've done... visually.
I've done what Chandler recommends.
Why are the gel wraps blamed? The gel padding seems to protect the knuckles well.

I never wore these gel things sorry i don t have an opinion.

Aren't knuckle pads easier to wear under than gel wraps?
Seems too much padding with both of them.

View attachment 1036358
Ideally, yes. These with standard 180 wraps plus a quality pair of 16oz gloves and you’ll be well protected.

From there it’s about managing your distance from the bag. A lot of newer/self trained guys hammer away on the bag from way too close and all that force and impact is sent through their hands and up their arms.

Standing at the end of your punches and imaging popping the bag to put little dents in it will treat you better than trying to punch through the bag like it was someone’s face

Get a pair of these. They are far and beyond better than using gel pads.

This type of injury and the same knuckle (though mine was my right hand) is what ended my boxing career lol. It is likely an injury to your tendon sheath or tendon itself. Welcome to the condition called boxers knuckle. A sagittal band injury. Go to a doctor, get an xray and potentially an ultrasound. They will tell you the best course of action. For me personally my knuckle is fucked and that's GG on my boxing career.
Glad too see you still lurking.

Ideally, yes. These with standard 180 wraps plus a quality pair of 16oz gloves and you’ll be well protected.

From there it’s about managing your distance from the bag. A lot of newer/self trained guys hammer away on the bag from way too close and all that force and impact is sent through their hands and up their arms.

Standing at the end of your punches and imaging popping the bag to put little dents in it will treat you better than trying to punch through the bag like it was someone’s face
I think it's also a question of age. When I was a teen or 20 something , as long as I wrapped my wrist I could go all out on the bag no worries.

Now approaching my mid 40s I can't do that anymore because I will fuck up something in my hand/shoulder/etc.

On the other hand my technique is much sounder now.

Back