Tips for Great Suprises

Forbiden1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Well, This week, my friend is comming to Florida an hes a black belt in Hapkido, an me n him always get into debates about how MMA is better then TMA (he prefers TMA)

So were going to spar with one another an trade techniques.

What im basically asking here, are what are some good moves, that would suprise him off the back that you guys would try.

Im thinking a flying armbar would definately do the trick but I havent had alot of training in performing one of those (if some of you can breifly explain it to me also would be appreciated)

i dont know the hapkido takedown defense, so as of right now im a little hesitant on what i should approach him with.

Any advice, or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

the flying armbar is something what takes alot of training, to get the timing and hip position.

As for hapkido(don't know much about it) takedown defence, i'm sure it's close to judo stuff.

Oh and try a "monkey roll" into a knee bar! Sorry had to do it, it is my name after all.

If you don't know enough to show him techniques yourself, I think you should postpone your little trade off until such time as you are able to trade info without asking the grappling forum for advice. Otherwise you are risiking hurting yourself and your partner by going for stuff you shouldn't/arent familiar with.

Superbeast said:
If you don't know enough to show him techniques yourself, I think you should postpone your little trade off until such time as you are able to trade info without asking the grappling forum for advice. Otherwise you are risiking hurting yourself and your partner by going for stuff you shouldn't/arent familiar with.
He speaks the truth.

One word: Powerslam.

flying arm bar from someone not knowledgeable about the move will most probably fuck at least one of you up.

Pure solid old school grappling would do the trick. No fancy stuff required.

I heard a tale of some dude who invented a flying omoplata during a tournament. Ended up breaking his opponent's arm and the dude's own collarbone. :-/\/\

demolidor77 said:
Pure solid old school grappling would do the trick. No fancy stuff required.

Agreed. Just take him to the ground and work positions to get him tired, then go in for the kill (sub).

Frodo said:
I heard a tale of some dude who invented a flying omoplata during a tournament. Ended up breaking his opponent's arm and the dude's own collarbone. :-/\/\

I believe Nino Schembri is quite adept at that. Like any "flying" sub, you're as much at risk if you fuck it up as your opponent is if you nail it.

I wouldn't recommend a flying armbar, after sinking one myself I had to go to A and E cause I seperated my AC joint in my shoulder. (And I am supposed to know how to pull one off)...

Would have thought getting to his back and sinking a RNC will pretty much enlighten him.

I know, pretend like your being clobbered up, turn your back to him,
and pretend like your getting pounded down, BOOM rolling knee bar!
then rapidly switch to the following moves calling them outloud as you
just machine gun them out!

1) Kneebar
2) blood vessel squeeze knee bar,
3) reach around knee bar
4) ankle lock
5) heel hook
6) toe hold
7) calf crank

Watch out for wrist locks while grappling. I had an aikido guy in my guard once and he got a really wicked wrist lock going that almost got me...several times.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Yea, although 1 week of bjj is greater then BB in TMA.

Quite an exaggeration, wouldn't you say? Try telling a Kyokushin Karate black belt that one week of BJJ would own him in an MMA match . . . the kyokushin karate man would beat the shit out of the BJJ man with only 1 week of experience.

A flying armbar is the wrong move for several reasons, it takes tons of practice and you will seriously hurt ur buddy. That move is very hard to control and you will most likely hyperextend his arm

Hapkido as far as I know doesn't train "take down defence", at least not in the way that we think of it. Most likely he's worked his stuff for a theoretical type attack performed by another hapkido guy not going 100%. If you have any takedown that you use in grappling on a regular basis you should be fine as long as you set it up and attack for real. If you don't use take downs often jump guard on the guy.

As Bubble Boy pointed out hapkido has a lot of wrist locks, expect this guy to attack various wrist locks from any position you put him in. They have other locks too, but usually works best on unsuspecting un trained opponents. As long as you work positioning and control your good.

I just had a thought... Work your gi chokes like a mad man from all positions possible... they wear a sort of gi in hapkido, and I don't think they work those at all.

Back