• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Time to end this When is a Champ a Champ? Poll

When is a Champ a Champ

• Total voters
The only problem is there is a set path in every team sport to get to that title. The best team may not win every year, but the path is exactly the same year in year out.

People like Matt Serra getting gifted a shot for winning TUF or Conor getting a title shot at 155 with no previous fights really murky the waters. Especially when so many legit contenders are there.

I understand they are and were real champions, but it does leave a lot to be desired.

Well when you put it like that.....but as a Shogun fan I speak no English.

You're not a champion until you defend it. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get lucky once. Aint happening twice. I don't care who we are talking about. Come at me bro.

Michael bisping

LOL now can you retards stop with your "not a champ until you defend"

At one point Cain had 20 months in between title defenses. What did that make him?

Title Holder would be the term I would use, holding that "Title" waiting for it's defense.

UFC fans are the only sport fans that think being a champ is something that has no time limit.

You're only a champ because you beat a specific opponent on a specific day, if you don't repeat similar feats soon then it has no value.

Will the next year's F1 champion be a paper champion just because he won't beat Nico Rosberg for it?

LOL MMA doesn't have seasons. Pretty big difference. Seeing as you're such a HUGE boxing fan you should know this. How many titles has Floyd won and then moved up to the next weightclass without defending?

LOL MMA doesn't have seasons. Pretty big difference. Seeing as you're such a HUGE boxing fan you should know this. How many titles has Floyd won and then moved up to the next weightclass without defending?

And no boxing fan considers Floyd to still be a champion of those weight classes.

So who was the Champion after Conor KO'd jose?

Conor was title holder sadly he couldn't even hold it and do his job and they gave the belt back to WHO?

Thanks for playing.....

Conor was title holder sadly he couldn't even hold it and do his job and they gave the belt back to WHO?

Thanks for playing.....

You didn't answer my question. Your post is retarded just like all your posts.

You're not a champion until you defend it. Anyone, and I mean anyone can get lucky once. Aint happening twice. I don't care who we are talking about. Come at me bro.
So he got lucky against aldo, alvarez and mendes? Interesting. I thought they were all for belts.

@paynebringer it's kinda like discussing NFL Qb's. Trying to separate the "Elite" from the "very good". Everyone has different opinions.

Agreed! They're good QB's then they're Great QB's. In combat sports it's just not enough to win a belt anybody could win a belt no one will ever say Matt Serra was a great Champion they will say he won a belt. You're measured by your title defenses not that at one time you won a belt....

I'm old shool...You're not a real champ, until you defend.

However. .. I'll concede that technically you are the champ when you win.

But...If you get stripped because you NEVER EVEN ATTEMPTED to defend...You're a fuckin fraud. LMAO... Let alone if you refuse to defend and get stripped TWICE.

I fail to see how anybody could take pride in that. Athlete, fan, or media.

If the shoe was on the other foot. Crotch crickets the world over would be rioting.

So, fuck these pathetic hypocrites.

Voted: He won the title of Champ but needs to lock it down with successful defense.

A real champ is one who defends the belt, thats the whole point of being a champ. Anyone in UFC can be a champ on the right night, but a real champ defends the belt many many many times like Anderson and GSP
So conor isnt a real champ? Interesting. I guess conor has had 3 'right' nights, as he has won 3 belts in the ufc.

You didn't answer my question. Your post is retarded just like all your posts.

You one dumb motherf*ker I answered it in the one paragraph fool "Title Holder"...

So conor isnt a real champ? Interesting. I guess conor has had 3 'right' nights, as he has won 3 belts in the ufc.

Certainly not any champ now since they stripped the belt for "NOT DEFENDING" guess Conor didn't read the fine print for belt ownership "You must defend this belt"...

You one dumb motherf*ker I answered it in the one paragraph fool "Title Holder"...

The title holder is the champion, dumbass.

And I don't know why you talk like you're three years old. It's really immature and doesn't make me do anything except not respect your opinion very much.

so you are not a champ until you defend the belt 2-3 times? are you just setting up for your next excuse as to why conor isnt the champ after he defends his belt? lolz

Why does it have to be about Conor? There's nothing more difficult in sports than defending a championship.

Back