Tim Kennedy is a horrible matchup for Mousasi

MMALeBronJames

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I'm a huge fan of Gegard Mousasi and I don't really care for Tim Kennedy, but stylistically Tim looks like he'd be a nightmare matchup for Gegard and here's why:

• Tim Kennedy has better MMA wrestling than Gegard, and will most likely take Gegard down without trouble. Sure Gegard will stuff a couple but Tim will eventually land one

• Tim Kennedy is very good at laying on people, if Gegard is unable to defend the inevitable takedown, he'll lose the judges scorecards by being on the bottom even if he's doing damage

• Tim Kennedy is a "scorecard" fighter and doubt he'll take any risk, when he gets the takedown he'll most likely stay there and do the minimum just to win rounds without taking risks. Tim won't risk any openings to be submitted by Gegard

It looks like Gegard improved his transitions and takedown defenses tremendously for the Munoz fight, but would it be enough for Tim Kennedy? Gegard's keys to victory would be to defend all takedowns and win the striking battle (which he will).

Please prove me wrong Sherdoggers

War Moose!

Agreed, but Mousasi's MMA jitz is a site to behold. It really is.

A year ago I woulda said Kennedy takes it but now it's 50/50. Good fight.

I see Moose stuffing some takedowns and punishing Kennedy. He's not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination

Kennedy gets finished in a 5 round fight. I could see him stealing a 3 round with wrestling but il take Mousasi any day

Kennedy beat Bisping but Mousasi is a different kind of beast. Mousasi's boxing will make the difference on the standup, Kennedy only way to win is by LnP

it's a favourable matchup for kennedy, but mousasi can easily take him out.

Tim def has an advantage in this match up, but this exactly is why im a Gegard fan. So many better match ups for him then Tim, and he picks the ones that are challenging.

mousasi would destroy kennedy with ease, in every aspect. striking, clinch, wrestling, ground, it doesnt matter. easy money

King Mo was able to lay his way to a 5 round decision. If this fight happened I would put my money on Kennedy.

I could actually see Kennedy winning via boring UD.

Kennedy may have better wrestling but overall grappling i favour Gegard here.

Kennedy vs Rockhold is what makes me fear Mousasi would lose. Kennedy doesn't give a shit how boring or unsuccessful his attempts are, he'll keep trying. I don't think Mousasi has Rockhold's defensive wrestling. Kennedy probably gets stuffed more than he succeeds, but he keeps the fight on the ground doing very little and wins a decision.

I don't see how Kennedy is that different stylistically from Munoz.

You think Kennedy has better grappling than Munoz?

Back