News Tiger in NYC Caught the Corona

Article said no domestic animals have tested positive for it - but who knows.

Not in the US but I'd be wary...

"There have been a handful of reports outside the U.S. of pet dogs or cats becoming infected after close contact with contagious people, including a Hong Kong dog that tested positive for a low level of the pathogen in February and early March. Hong Kong agriculture authorities concluded that pet dogs and cats couldn’t pass the virus to human beings but could test positive if exposed by their owners."

wtf they just swore to us cats and dogs couldnt get it

The virus must have mutated to infect them (mutated to attach to cat protein receptors), so the only copies of that mutated virus exist within those big cats. As long as they didn't have any contact with feral cats (sometimes they get into zoo enclosures) prior to people noticing the infection, then the strain shouldn't have had the opportunity to jump to new hosts and it will disappear.

From what I know, big cats (genus pathera lions/tigers) can't interbreed with domestic cats (genus felidae);due to their genetic lines being so far separated at this point. Wouldn't that imply there's less likelihood that any strains affecting big cats would be unlikely to pass to domestic cats?

Gone have to change his name to Joe Tonguepunches Tiger Fartboxes.

I do believe that it was transferred from one of the zoo keepers (not @Zookeeper Gabe) to the cats.
Gee, I wonder who?
10598706_284037868465798_1623196839_n.0.jpg

I believe the higher population that are those who have traveled internationally to China or areas of China or those that have been in contact with those that have traveled internationally from such infected areas are those who are at higher risk of having or contracting and giving to others. Example, if you’re in a state like Iowa that doesn’t have a lot of international travel I believe the cases will be very low as oppose to New York, San Francisco, LA, Washington.

wtf they just swore to us cats and dogs couldnt get it

They, the usa, also swore things would be back to normal by Easter.

China also swears that the numbers released of the dead due to Corona wasa(is) accurate.

So. . .

this paper published 3 days ago predicted tigers were amongst the highly succeptible
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/..._and_Susceptible_Animals_of_SARS-CoV-2_v1.pdf
The results of the paper also suggests that one of the prevailing theories of bat->pangolin->human is less probable than some alternatives.
One of which is directly bat->human. other theories from the paper are bat->goat or hamster -> human
other animals that are predicted to be ssceptible to sars-cov-2 are cougars, leopards, lynx, and hyenas. house cats are predicted to be less susceptible than humans but close, which perhaps matches the observations that cats can harbor viral growth but do not seem to become sick.

thank god dogs are predicted to be well in the clear

So all our pets can get it too?

Great news- more proof there is a loving god who demands our worship...or else

Or some humans are just filthy animals,you know NA had no known diseases until the Euros arrived right? lmao

Aw! did someone get their wittle feelings hurt.
Feelings hurt? I guess if you call my amazement at your immense stupidity “hurt feelings....” whatever you say dumbass lol

Back