Three Things They Should Teach in School?

SugarKrok

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If you had the power to force 3 topics to be taught in high school what would they be?

I was thinking it over, but haven't settled on anything yet.

-How to do your own taxes
-How to grow your own food
-How to be a decent human being

1. How to be a financially responsible adult
2. How to properly raise kids (seriously this shit is terrifying). Maybe avoid creating some of these helicopter parents.
3. As Estemachine said, how to be a decent human being. Too many people with no regard for others these days, and that, unfortunately, occasionally includes me.

Finances and taxes are big one's; I never learned any of those in high-school because they didn’t teach it.

If we are talking academic type classes, I would say schools should put more emphasis on programming, economics, and maybe statistics. My high school offered a class in Visual Basic, but very few students actually took it. I'm unaware of any classes that were offered in econ or stat. I wasn't introduced to these topics until college.

As others have said, it would've been nice to have a class on personal finance as well. It took me until my late twenties until I learned how to budget and become interested in paying off debt and saving.

How to check your privilege
How to get in touch with your feminine side
How to recognize all genders
<{pranko}>

If we are talking academic type classes, I would say schools should put more emphasis on programming, economics, and maybe statistics. My high school offered a class in Visual Basic, but very few students actually took it. I'm unaware of any classes that were offered in econ or stat. I wasn't introduced to these topics until college.

As others have said, it would've been nice to have a class on personal finance as well. It took me until my late twenties until I learned how to budget and become interested in paying off debt and saving.

They throw you in prison oin the states for that shit.
In canada the only penalties to jot paying debt is no opportunity to acquire more debt + difficulty getting an apt/condo/house/car. If youre over 30 you should have enough saved to buy at least a used car outright anyway though. Fuck the BANKS! 2009 says fuck th3m bank.

How god created the flat earth
How the illumanit run the world
How to play video games

They throw you in prison oin the states for that shit.
In canada the only penalties to jot paying debt is no opportunity to acquire more debt + difficulty getting an apt/condo/house/car. If youre over 30 you should have enough saved to buy at least a used car outright anyway though. Fuck the BANKS! 2009 says fuck th3m bank.

A friend of mine (I'm in the US) managed to put himself in over 100k worth of student debt, most of which were private loans. It's been a while since I've spoken to him, but the last time we talked he was struggling and ended up having his wages garnished. I highly doubt that he has any real savings due to his situation unfortunately.

Student loans and choosing a college should be added to the list of things that high schools seem to gloss over, at least in my experience. When you are 17-18 years old, it can be hard to understand that this is real money that you'll eventually have to repay at some point. I take full responsibility for my student debts and plan to pay them back in full ASAP, but it would've been nice to have a little more guidance. My parents never went to college so I sort of just stumbled my way through all of it.

Last edited:
Finances and taxes are big one's; I never learned any of those in high-school because they didn’t teach it.

“I don’t want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers.”
– John D. Rockefeller

They want you to be trapped in that financial hamster wheel until you die.

how big of a deal it is to have a child and the responsibility it comes with

how get through life after your fav fighters hype train gets derailed

algebra

How to change a tire

Financial responsibility

Why credit card companies are evil

How to think, how to recognize, how to cultivate curiosity, how to analyze and assess, how to problem solve, how to maintain objectivity, how to identify deceit internally and out in the world. How to stand on principle, etc.

If you had the power to force 3 topics to be taught in high school what would they be?

. Math
. Science
. Reading & Writing

* Bonus: World History. Certainly the 20th century. Constitution of the United Sates and the Bill of Rights.

Kindness. To all living things
Compassion. To all living things
Your Gonna Die

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back