Thoughts on Wolf Hybrids

good insight. How would you say they are on par with pitbulls as far as train-ability, as in more or less difficult? less room for error in training them, temperament, etc?

They're about the same in terms of training. Only catch is that if you don't carry yourself with an air of authority, the wolf hybrid will pick up on that and try to punk you to claim the role of alpha (males more so than females). But mine was no harder to train than my German Shepard. Pitbulls train good too, but they have a mental instability bred into that breed which is why they're so dangerous. They can snap at any given moment, ala schizophrenia in humans.

Wolves are not domesticated animals, they are wild animals. Wild animals should not be kept as pets, especially those that pose a risk to its owners and the community. Of course they are pretty, it doesn't mean you should keep them locked up in a kennel. Appreciate wild animals in nature.

I see yoru point but every single dog in the world has evolved from wolves. The reason dogs are man's best friend is because of the strong pack/family mentality that wolves have inherently.

Also, Border Collies supposedly possess minds that are very similar to wolves, so if you have experience with BC's you will have an idea of what a wolf hybrid is like.

My brother has a wolf hybrid and I consider her just as much my dog as his because we spend so much time together. I have a BC and I can attest to how similar they are. They both have strong prey instincts and are crazy intelligent. Where they are very different though is their trainability. BC's want nothing more than to make their owner happy, where the wolf hybrid may be easy to train depending on what they're cross bred with and which animal they take after, but the wolf hybrid I have experience with has been very stubborn.

She's so stubborn that it has made her very difficult to train, but she's also incredibly tender hearted and amazingly sweet. The bond that you can develop with a wolf hybrid is profound honestly. She's also super sensitive, is always aware of your emotional state, and has never shown any sort of aggression toward humans. She can be aggressive against other dogs, but she's been amazing around children. My 3 year old niece loves Saya (the wolf hybrid) and Saya loves her as well. They are inseparable.

A few points to consider: Wolf hybrids can exhibit different personalities from animal to animal because some will take more after their dog lineage where others will exhibit wolf traits stronger than dog traits. Wolves are naturally shy and don't like human contact outside of their immediate family and people they see normally.

Contrary to popular misconception, the society of a wolf pack does not entail constant violence and struggle for dominance. There is a hierarchy that is followed, but the alpha male is almost never the best fighter or the largest of the pack, that role is normally played by the beta. The alpha is simply the wolf that has the strongest personality. When the alpha reminds the beta (or others) that he is alpha, he doesn't beat them up or even fight, he just growls and shows that he's alpha by way of nipping and aggressive behavior.

Wolves mate for life and love their family. The wolf hybrid I have experience with is an amazing animal and i genuinely love her. She's gorgeous, loyal, sweet, and a fucking genius. Her and my BC are best friends and when they get together they love hunting for small animals like squirrels, prairie dogs, cats, birds, etc. so be mindful of the fact that they will kill and eat smaller animals if they have the opportunity.

To put it into perspective, Saya loves me so much that if I walk into the house while she's outside, then leave without saying good bye, she will walk through the house frantically, sniffing at the areas I visited, and whining softly. When she concludes that I'm no longer there she will howl. When she was a puppy, she would fall asleep and I would leave the room, when she woke up she would howl until I would make some sort of sound to let her know where I was.

If you are ok with a super energetic dog that will form a special bond, but requires far more effort, then a wolf hybrid is for you. In my experience, they love their family with a crazy fervor, it's flattering and it's really nice to know that this nearly wild animal is in love with you. You do have to keep your eye on them around animals they don't know and they are incredibly needy, so be prepared to be dedicated to the animal. But they will be dedicated to you and anyone else they are around normally as well, it's a very rewarding relationship.

Last edited:
I've always thought that if you could breed a Border Collie to the size and strength of a German Shepard or Rottweiler, you'd have the perfect Guard Dog. They are incredibly intelligent.:cool:

As a proud hybrid owner, i love my companion, he has been nothing but a great addition to my family he is Siberian and Tundra wolf, 2nd generation i believe, and yes its true he is definatly more to handle than the avg husky, heck most cant handle those.

But all and all far more respect has to be given to their wolf side and ive found its best to treat them more like a wolf than a dog, doesnt mean i dont rough him up and teach him tricks, he is just a little more stubborn when it comes to those things and flat out refuses some dog behaviors.

My biggest worry is that he still looks at small dogs as prey sometimes, and his instinct is to kill, but the only time i seen him get aggro and run out of the yard for one he held it down and looked at me to see if it was ok i growled something vicious wich actually scared the poor girl who was walking the smaller dog and he ran straight in the house and went to his den all sad.

Thats the thing, they have to know that they are not allowed to do anything without your permission. and aside from that incident he only got into one scuffle with a rabid german shepard who attacked him, he got off that dog when my daughter told him too as well.

So in that sense, if they know who is in charge they are very trainable and very attentive to your commands.

This thread makes me nostalgic of our dog that passed away. It was supposed to be an Alaskan/Siberian Husky mix, but I think it was a hybrid since it looked exactly like a timber wolf. Anyway, the dog despite being one of the stubbornest animals to exist, had a great personality.

I can remember when a friend decided she would take the husky on a run. You could tell the dog didn't really want to go, but begrudgingly I see them both leave. After messing around in the garage, I see the husky returning, leash in tow. 10 minutes later my friend came bag huffing and puffing. Then she said, "The dog ran away!" But nope, he was going back to sleep under the truck.

Another time he had a 300 lb. Micronesian climbing tables. He wasn't being threatening or anything like that, but the man never saw a loose animal that big. Really funny to behold.

When he was getting up there in age, a great dane blind-sided him and grabbed him my the neck. In less than a second he pivoted and twisted around and had the great dane down by the throat. Even in his old age, not many dogs could take him (maybe a game pit).

Even though I took care of him, he was my father's dog and it was my father's wishes that the dog shouldn't be tied up. So on occasion when he'd get out, he would run all over the town. My dad's friend said once that he saw our dog leading a pack of other dogs running loose around town.

Really miss that dog...

Why didn't you ask this in the wolf hybrid thread KilledByDeath made? I want one too actually, I'd kill for a Tosa/Wolf hybrid.

Wow that hybrid would be something amazing.
Thanks for the thread plug btw :)

This thread makes me nostalgic of our dog that passed away. It was supposed to be an Alaskan/Siberian Husky mix, but I think it was a hybrid since it looked exactly like a timber wolf. Anyway, the dog despite being one of the stubbornest animals to exist, had a great personality.

I can remember when a friend decided she would take the husky on a run. You could tell the dog didn't really want to go, but begrudgingly I see them both leave. After messing around in the garage, I see the husky returning, leash in tow. 10 minutes later my friend came bag huffing and puffing. Then she said, "The dog ran away!" But nope, he was going back to sleep under the truck.

Another time he had a 300 lb. Micronesian climbing tables. He wasn't being threatening or anything like that, but the man never saw a loose animal that big. Really funny to behold.

When he was getting up there in age, a great dane blind-sided him and grabbed him my the neck. In less than a second he pivoted and twisted around and had the great dane down by the throat. Even in his old age, not many dogs could take him (maybe a game pit).

Even though I took care of him, he was my father's dog and it was my father's wishes that the dog shouldn't be tied up. So on occasion when he'd get out, he would run all over the town. My dad's friend said once that he saw our dog leading a pack of other dogs running loose around town.

Really miss that dog...

Sorry for your loss man, definatly sounds like wolflike behavior.
Then again some people have horror stories about their huskys.
Any pics?

This was a bit ago... so not a fresh loss. But I do still miss 'em.

huskeydrinkingtoomuch.jpg

huskeysexypose.jpg

I think the whole "alpha dog" theory on dogs/wolves is complete bullshit. It's based largely on artificial observations...sort of like viewing humans in jail and deducing all-encompassing behavioral observations on human social interaction from this. They're social animals, pack animals, using teamwork to work together, which is integral for their survival. It isn't a constant struggle among them for "king of the mountain" or something.

That whole Caesar Milan style of training is bogus, and despite being peddled on tv is largely disproven in the scientific community. I've literally done the exact opposite of many major things that he advocates, and my dog has always been wonderfully behaved. I couldn't imagine flipping my dog on its back and yelling at for it to "submit" to me. :icon_lol:

I've always thought that if you could breed a Border Collie to the size and strength of a German Shepard or Rottweiler, you'd have the perfect Guard Dog. They are incredibly intelligent.:cool:

Yeah, I've thought that too. They're insanely protective too. My BC doesn't even like girls hugging me, lol. A wolf is more intelligent than any dog because their brains are so large, but BC's are comparable and they're the only dogs that have the same ability to learn by way of simply witnessing an event as wolves. Although BC's hate to fight so I don't know how willing they'd be to attack a person.

No shit, my BC pissed in the house one time before he learned not to, and I've never physically hurt him for a punishment. It also only took one time to teach him how to sit. Once he got the treat he knew the trick by heart. My little brothers will play with him by teaching him new tricks, that's how fuckign smart BC's are.

Yeah, I've thought that too. They're insanely protective too. My BC doesn't even like girls hugging me, lol. A wolf is more intelligent than any dog because their brains are so large, but BC's are comparable and they're the only dogs that have the same ability to learn by way of simply witnessing an event as wolves. Although BC's hate to fight so I don't know how willing they'd be to attack a person.

No shit, my BC pissed in the house one time before he learned not to, and I've never physically hurt him for a punishment. It also only took one time to teach him how to sit. Once he got the treat he knew the trick by heart. My little brothers will play with him by teaching him new tricks, that's how fuckign smart BC's are.

Yeah. IMO they are the perfect size for a dog too. Not too big, not so small they barely look like a dog anymore. In addition to their smarts they probably have some the most intense athleticism of any breed along with sled dogs. If not brute strength, they have insane agility.

I also like the Australian Shepherd, which is very similar.

This was a bit ago... so not a fresh loss. But I do still miss 'em.

huskeydrinkingtoomuch.jpg

huskeysexypose.jpg

beautiful eyes looks almost like he had malamute rather than husky
was this late in his life? heres one of mine back when he was about 6mo
100_1322.jpg

and 1 month later
4.jpg

hes a bit bigger now at 1yr. but i dont have a digital camera anymore so no new pics.

I love wolves and would have one as a pet...

yeah, lets just negate the centuries of breeding to get rid of the 'wild' behavior and introduce the true wolf genes back into the mix, that should end well

As if a wolf couldn't be domesticated...

beautiful eyes looks almost like he had malamute rather than husky
was this late in his life? heres one of mine back when he was about 6mo

Yeah... he was probably around 10 in these pictures. I honestly don't know his breed. He could of had malamute, I just thought he looked awfully wolf-like and similar to timber wolf pictures I had seen. Is there a way to tell?

And your dog is awesome. Crazy that he's still growing from those pictures.

Yeah. IMO they are the perfect size for a dog too. Not too big, not so small they barely look like a dog anymore. In addition to their smarts they probably have some the most intense athleticism of any breed along with sled dogs. If not brute strength, they have insane agility.

I also like the Australian Shepherd, which is very similar.

Fairly sure they're recognized as the premiere athlete in the dog world. They constantly win the dog sports.

Yeah I like Australian Shepherds too.

I really wish I knew someone with BC/Wolf hybrid pups I could buy. That's my dream pet. They probably wouldn't be as pretty as malamute or husky wolf hybrids, but they would probably have an amazing temperament and one hell of an intellect.

Yeah... he was probably around 10 in these pictures. I honestly don't know his breed. He could of had malamute, I just thought he looked awfully wolf-like and similar to timber wolf pictures I had seen. Is there a way to tell?

And your dog is awesome. Crazy that he's still growing from those pictures.

Definatly had that regal look of power.
hmm, well he does seem to have a little bit of the back pattern, and his paws are huge, when he wagged his tail did he wag it upwards like a dog or downwards like a wolf? mine does both depending on his mood, mostly down though, but when he's happy he behaves a bit more husky wich i love, they are by far my favorite dog breed.
When my pup stands up he is almost as tall as me and just as big as all the german sheperds around with a bigger neck and bigger paws.
check out the wolf hybrids page, there are pics of his fangs at 7mo's they were impressive then they are menacing now.
but he wouldnt dare attack another member of our pack.
we all eat together and run together daily so he gets what he needs.
and he gets to kill shit in the yard (large branches and huge palm tree leaves are his favorite)

Yeah... he mostly had his tail down. The few times I recall him lifting it up was when he needed to take a shit. LOL.

It was awesome when he would hunt mongooses. He'd get low to the ground, tail tucked between his legs, and ears perked up... I swear he'd look like a fox hunting.

Back