Thoughts on Wolf Hybrids

Hanz_Blitz

BJJ all day
Banned
Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask what people think about these as pets? It's somewhat in response to the thoughts on Pitbulls thread

I've got a lot of mixed reviews on these beautiful animals, some say they're the greatest pet a man could own and share a bond with their family(pack) that no other Dog could and then I've read that they're untrainable and extremely aggressive without warning or reason

Why didn't you ask this in the wolf hybrid thread KilledByDeath made? I want one too actually, I'd kill for a Tosa/Wolf hybrid.

like pitbulls, they are banned where I live.
I agree they are beautiful animals, but I do not believe they are for the inexperienced.

Its not something I would undertake as I have never owned a dog and have only
started thinking about getting one in the last couple of years.

Wolves are not domesticated animals, they are wild animals. Wild animals should not be kept as pets, especially those that pose a risk to its owners and the community. Of course they are pretty, it doesn't mean you should keep them locked up in a kennel. Appreciate wild animals in nature.

Wolves are not domesticated animals, they are wild animals. Wild animals should not be kept as pets, especially those that pose a risk to its owners and the community. Of course they are pretty, it doesn't mean you should keep them locked up in a kennel. Appreciate wild animals in nature.

My ancestors domesticated wolves to make my dog. I'm just doing the same thing. :p

yeah, lets just negate the centuries of breeding to get rid of the 'wild' behavior and introduce the true wolf genes back into the mix, that should end well

This shit right here.

yeah, lets just negate the centuries of breeding to get rid of the 'wild' behavior and introduce the true wolf genes back into the mix, that should end well

Hey man, if you can domesticate a fox, you can redomesticate a wolf.

word

As an owner of a wolf hybrid (half siberian husky / half grey wolf), I can assure anyone that they are safe and great pets if you take the right measures. They are not as downright wild as a wolf, but are more energetic and mischevious than the average dog, so if you are a person who has a generally low energy level or low patience, then I don't recommend them. Otherwise they're great. Due to the pack mentality they have, they bond really well with family (but for that same reason, it's important to get them at about 4 weeks old, before they establish the pack mentality with the mother and the rest of the pups). Anyone who acts like all wolf hybrids are wild, dangerous beasts is a moron who has probably never owned one.

As an owner of a wolf hybrid (half siberian husky / half grey wolf), I can assure anyone that they are safe and great pets if you take the right measures. They are not as downright wild as a wolf, but are more energetic and mischevious than the average dog, so if you are a person who has a generally low energy level or low patience, then I don't recommend them. Otherwise they're great. Due to the pack mentality they have, they bond really well with family (but for that same reason, it's important to get them at about 4 weeks old, before they establish the pack mentality with the mother and the rest of the pups). Anyone who acts like all wolf hybrids are wild, dangerous beasts is a moron who has probably never owned one.

good insight. How would you say they are on par with pitbulls as far as train-ability, as in more or less difficult? less room for error in training them, temperament, etc?

I used to walk down by the beach every day in the summer and there was a woman who had a wolf hybrid that walked the beach as well.

I'd pet it and say hi whenever I passed. The animal was beautiful and nice as can be. It was a female, not sure if that makes a difference in temperament.

Well, they're beautiful....but from what I understand they like to march to the beat of their own drum...they aren't the best at following instructions.

Many spitz-type dogs look very wolf like, if that is the look you are attracted to, and they come without the temperament issues. What you're doing with a wolf-dog hybrid is putting back genes into the mix that were specifically selected against during the domestication process. That whole "man's best friend" attribute was selected for, not inherent in dog's ancestor's and cousins. Not a good idea for a pet imo.

wolf/pitbull mix

GAME WOLFPITBULL

My sister adopted a white german shepard crossed with a wolf. He was fought before, he had 1/2 his tongue missing, most of his right year torn away and lots of scars on his face. Despite that he was the most amazing dog ever. Extremely dog aggressive esp with males but was very gentle with humans. So smart he'd open doors by biting the door knob and turning his head. He was beautiful his fur was yellow and gray. He had the biggest canines/teeth!

Just thought I'd ask what people think about these as pets? It's somewhat in response to the thoughts on Pitbulls thread

I've got a lot of mixed reviews on these beautiful animals, some say they're the greatest pet a man could own and share a bond with their family(pack) that no other Dog could and then I've read that they're untrainable and extremely aggressive without warning or reason

I once knew a guy that had a pair (brothers, same litter) of male wolves as pets. Not hybrids but full blown wolves. Born in captivity, he got them after weaning and raised them from puppies.

I assume it was less than legal.

He lived in an urban setting but had a large yard with a high concrete wall where they would stay during the day.

After reaching adulthood, they had a habit of challenging him for dominance of the pack every so often.

He would literally get attacked once or twice a year when returning home. Often when he was at his weakest and appeared tired or sick.

He was a big big guy, 6'4" 220-230 lbs and had a TMA background with korean martial arts (TKD, and maybe Tang Soo Do as well).

The attack was not 100%, they wouldn't bite at full strength but they would wrestle him as hard as they could and try to pin him. Other than reduced bite intensity though, the rest of the attack was 100%.

He would usually have to grapple them, throw them off, and soccer kick them in the ribs to end the attack. After that he was alpha again, for a time.

He had them both until they died of old age but this was just one of the more obvious problems he had because of his choice to keep wild animals raised in captivity as pets.

Wild animals are generally not the best pets.

I once knew a guy that had a pair (brothers, same litter) of male wolves as pets. Not hybrids but full blown wolves. Born in captivity, he got them after weaning and raised them from puppies.

I assume it was less than legal.

He lived in an urban setting but had a large yard with a high concrete wall where they would stay during the day.

After reaching adulthood, they had a habit of challenging him for dominance of the pack every so often.

He would literally get attacked once or twice a year when returning home. Often when he was at his weakest and appeared tired or sick.

He was a big big guy, 6'4" 220-230 lbs and had a TMA background with korean martial arts (TKD, and maybe Tang Soo Do as well).

The attack was not 100%, they wouldn't bite at full strength but they would wrestle him as hard as they could and try to pin him. Other than reduced bite intensity though, the rest of the attack was 100%.

He would usually have to grapple them, throw them off, and soccer kick them in the ribs to end the attack. After that he was alpha again, for a time.

He had them both until they died of old age but this was just one of the more obvious problems he had because of his choice to keep wild animals raised in captivity as pets.

Wild animals are generally not the best pets.
That sounds like a lot of fun tbh.

That took the Russians 40+ years and they literally killed every single fox in the program that showed any aggression towards a human.

That sounds like a lot of fun tbh.

His forearms were usually bloody by the end of each of these episodes and he could have been seriously hurt if he hadn't won all of those challenges.

Last edited:

like when grizzly bears get 'used' to a person being around until they decide to eat them?

Back