Thoughts on this mount escape (butterfly sweep)

I think it's overly optimistic. Against a good opponent as soon as they feel your drop your hand to their hips they're going to base out and prevent you from lifting like that. However, I do think after doing a partial knee-elbow escape such that you have one hook in you can transition to butterfly rather than trying to shrimp on the other side to recover full guard. Often if I can create enough space to get one hook in I go straight to 1X or even work into full X just be lifting with that one hook (since you're already under the guy by virtue of being mounted). That seems to work pretty well for me.

That's from Roy Dean's blue belt test instructional video. It's one of several escapes covered.

I don't think that's really supposed to be a go to move, but it's something that his blue belts are required to know and demonstrate during testing if asked.

For what it's worth.

Are there any variations of this technique or any other non elbow-knee / upa escapes that folks know/like/use?

I dont buy it at all, but eh I could be wrong.

Wouldn't the guy just grape vine your legs or something

totally legit...anyone who says otherwise hasn't done it...it can also be modified to be used as single leg x guard/leg lock entry

best times to get it are: when opponent postures up to strike or the second an opponent lands into mount, say from a side mount to mount transition... you cannot get this if the opponent has a secure low mount

for me I have more success if I bump the guy of to the side as opposed to straight up and wrap a single leg x guard, very applicable to mma...some videos of frank mir demonstrating this on youtube

there is a cool drill you can do here where you mount someone, he bumps you up into butterfly, sweeps you into mount, you bump him up into butterfly etc... cool warm up drill

Last edited:
This isn't the #1 mount escape but it's fairly common. The risk of armbar isn't a big deal if you get both hands on the hips. I like to teach this to guys with good bridges so I see everyone complain about them using "strength moves" when there is real technique and body mechanics at work.

This is also a old school way to escape into heelhooks.

This is also a old school way to escape into heelhooks.

if you have amazing hip flexibility you can get that on so many people who have a much higher skill level then you, I love that technique

totally legit...anyone who says otherwise hasn't done it...it can also be modified to be used as single leg x guard/leg lock entry

best times to get it are: when opponent postures up to strike or the second an opponent lands into mount, say from a side mount to mount transition... you cannot get this if the opponent has a secure low mount

for me I have more success if I bump the guy of to the side as opposed to straight up and wrap a single leg x guard, very applicable to mma...some videos of frank mir demonstrating this on youtube

there is a cool drill you can do here where you mount someone, he bumps you up into butterfly, sweeps you into mount, you bump him up into butterfly etc... cool warm up drill
+1

Absolutely legit. I catch purples and below with it and go straight into x-guard-->sweep. Like everything, timing is crucial.

This is actually my go-to escape AS SOMEONE IS SETTLING into mount. Give it one or two tries before they settle in, usually works fairly well.

I weigh about 220 for reference tho

Love it, use it often. It's my #2 go-to mount escape behind various heel-drag type escapes. If someone mounts you, your first mistake is letting them settle in and grapevine..definitely feasible against a dynamic opponent (and if you are being mounted, it's up to you to make your opponent dynamic by shaking his base etc), no armbar danger because you are pushing up on the hips, so your elbow is already below the fulcrum point..if your opponent goes for the armbar, thank them for letting you out of the mount for free. ;)

so are most people here doing a slight variation or actually the escape as its shown?

so are most people here doing a slight variation or actually the escape as its shown?

I personally just bump the guy off to the side, just a quick push with my arms as I hip bridge...just enough for him to post then I wrap single leg x guard, you can do that to anyone regardless of size if they are postured up

the difference is in this video he posts and keeps the post until he has butterfly, I just bump and push explosively, really quick short movement..then wrap a single leg x guard with the space I jus created...that way I feel you can do it on people much heavier all you need is a little bump to the side and not overhead...Imagine doing the method in the video when you are significantly outweighed by say 60 lbs

if anyone has any tips to improve the technique I do, your advice would be welcomed :)...I really like the side though as opposed to straight overhead

it seems like in any situation you could do this, you could also recover guard, whereas the converse could not be said. i imagine for someone of same strength and skill level, this would be difficult to pull off completely into buttferly, but could definitely open your opponent up for guard recovery.

If someone mounts you, your first mistake is letting them settle in and grapevine.

if someone mounts you, your firstmistak is letting someone mount you.

i know what you mean, but i find bjj guys have fallen into using this type of language way too often lately and it's almost like a cop out.

yes, you would prefer not to be grapevined. but if youre learning escapes, don't you want to know some that work even if youre grapevined? i think the technique in the op is good, but language like this really bothers me.

it seems like in any situation you could do this, you could also recover guard, whereas the converse could not be said. i imagine for someone of same strength and skill level, this would be difficult to pull off completely into buttferly, but could definitely open your opponent up for guard recovery.

if someone mounts you, your firstmistak is letting someone mount you.

i know what you mean, but i find bjj guys have fallen into using this type of language way too often lately and it's almost like a cop out.

yes, you would prefer not to be grapevined. but if youre learning escapes, don't you want to know some that work even if youre grapevined? i think the technique in the op is good, but language like this really bothers me.

I understand the sentiment.

It's like when you're drilling and someone says, "Can't you just ......", instead of the technique.

Yes, you can. But that's not what we're drilling. The world is not linear.

A lot of people are dissing this escape so just for curiosity's sake, what is y'alls go-to escape from mount?

Back