Thoughts on this mount escape (butterfly sweep)

It's a very good mount escape in its 1 legged x guard/heelhook variation. I use that all the time, it's gold, as posters above have said.

But it's quite implausible in its 'go to double unders butterfly' variation as shown in that gif. If you can create that much space against the mount by posting on the hips then you can always escape 30,654 different ways, your opponent is being useless. Against a good opponent, by contrast, you will have only a tiny window of space that you must fight bitterly to create and utilize.

A lot of people are dissing this escape so just for curiosity's sake, what is y'alls go-to escape from mount?

My #1 is a heel drag/foot trap. There are a couple ways to do it, but get one foot trapped between your leg (you can lift the pant leg or step over and heel drag), frame the leg, shrimp out, and escape to half guard.

I do this specific escape in both forms. Sometimes one leg at a time (by framing one leg, shrimping out and getting one butterfly hook in, then shrimping again to get the other on, or using the one butterfly hook to elevate and insert the other hook), sometimes both legs at one time by lifting the hips.

This absolutely works. I don't think I've ever gotten the full butterfly hooks in against anybody but a total beginner, but I can usually get a half-butterfly or half-x guard/reaping position if I time it right. It wouldn't work that well against a high level guy who's settled into good top pressure, but it can work against anybody if you start it right when the opponent gets mount.

I think it's overly optimistic. Against a good opponent as soon as they feel your drop your hand to their hips they're going to base out and prevent you from lifting like that. However, I do think after doing a partial knee-elbow escape such that you have one hook in you can transition to butterfly rather than trying to shrimp on the other side to recover full guard. Often if I can create enough space to get one hook in I go straight to 1X or even work into full X just be lifting with that one hook (since you're already under the guy by virtue of being mounted). That seems to work pretty well for me.

Honestly, I've never gotten it to work. But these details really should help me out. Thanks for posting.

A lot of people are dissing this escape so just for curiosity's sake, what is y'alls go-to escape from mount?

I almost exclusively bridge to one side and frame on the knee, then step over their ankle and hip scoop to half/deep half.

I almost exclusively bridge to one side and frame on the knee, then step over their ankle and hip scoop to half/deep half.

This was my go to for years and still works well for me. The deep half variation especially, mostly because you can often just pull him on top of you/pull yourself under without actually having to shrimp and hip out to your other hip as you would to get a good old school half.

I tap. Usually the only guys who get mount on me are better than me so they tend to tap me when they get in mount.

Other than that, elbow escape.

It's in the alliance curriculum for what thats worth. But when I trained with an alliance brown belt, he used it to get to 1 leg x.

lol ppl saying it doesnt work. Its actually my go to mount escape. You have to explode doing it tho.

Getting armbarred and tapping is usually how I get out of mount.

On a more serious note, the one where you bridge with your hips and then shove your arms under your opponents leg and get out the back seems to work very well for me lately.

I'll see if I can find a video of it somewhere.

EDIT: Can't find it :(

Last edited:
I dont mean a regular armbar but a modified one where you don't rotate your hips parallel to the floor but corkscrew 45 degrees outwards in the opposite way and this will only work if the bottom guy places his hands on your hips.. so it's a modified armbar , a counter to this escape

On a more serious note, the one where you bridge with your hips and then shove your arms under your opponents leg and get out the back seems to work very well for me lately.

like dis?:icon_lol:[YT]BbwQEKoOj8s[/YT]

My instructor has taught this sort of escape before. If mounted, get your opponent down over your hips and to a quick bump, with your hands on his hips, and slip your knees inside to butterfly guard. However, I wouldn't use it as my go-to mount escape. I've hit it on beginners, though.

Getting armbarred and tapping is usually how I get out of mount.

I'll see if I can find a video of it somewhere.

EDIT: Can't find it :(

Dan ***gela calls it "the garbage man" escape. The video posted above is not it.

The concept is you get both hands under one leg, and your shoulder / head under his hips (almost deep half guard). Then you get a wrist grip, get a knee or foot in the arm pit / bicep of the arm you have, and rock your body up and him back to get the sweep.

It is a legit technique- I've pulled it off on some decent people who don't expect it.

I got it on a "Free" DVD thing he sent out- cost me $1.00 shipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EE2J8Cfv4&list=PLBzkBkDJpUnsBJpEu8c5zUtMnMU82_mmo&index=17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EE2J8Cfv4&list=PLBzkBkDJpUnsBJpEu8c5zUtMnMU82_mmo&index=17

sorry but that's a sure way to sniff the other guys balls

Last edited:
like dis?:icon_lol:[YT]BbwQEKoOj8s[/YT]

No, that's the feet in armpit escape. The one I'm talking about is when you keep your arms glued to your chest, then do an explosive hip bridge. Then you'll get just enough space to shove both your arms downwards, towards your legs and under his leg (you have to pick a side). Then you enter out the back.

You oftentimes clip his junk as well if you don't do this carefully, either with your hands as you punch through or your shoulder as you turn to enter out the back, so this makes the escape extra effective lol.

Dan ***gela calls it "the garbage man" escape. The video posted above is not it.

The concept is you get both hands under one leg, and your shoulder / head under his hips (almost deep half guard). Then you get a wrist grip, get a knee or foot in the arm pit / bicep of the arm you have, and rock your body up and him back to get the sweep.

It is a legit technique- I've pulled it off on some decent people who don't expect it.

I got it on a "Free" DVD thing he sent out- cost me $1.00 shipping.

Yes! This is exactly it, except I've never seen that sweep thing before. I'm gonna have to try that out next time I'm drilling. Thx a lot man.

it depends if it's high guard then you can use the escaped hand to grab the guys butt and push him forward while rolling and placing the trapped hand on the other leg like funk rolling then you can escape pretty easily roll the guy over and achieve side control

Last edited:
Back