Thoughts on Spyderco...

I've heard that spyderco knives come sharper out of the box then emerson knives. In one review i found on youtube the guy said that the Tenacious came out of the box sharper then the Emerson commander...unfortunately the guy deleted the video. True Story.

Emerson, Benchmade and Microtech all make better products IMO.

BUT you are getting into the world of diminishing returns. For an everyday carry knife, they will serve you well w/o killing your wallet.

I carry a Benchmade 707S. Retail on it is ~125 or so, but they are pretty easy to find for 100.

Emerson, Benchmade and Microtech all make better products IMO.

BUT you are getting into the world of diminishing returns. For an everyday carry knife, they will serve you well w/o killing your wallet.

I carry a Benchmade 707S. Retail on it is ~125 or so, but they are pretty easy to find for 100.
Where does Cold Steel rank on this?

I've heard that spyderco knives come sharper out of the box then emerson knives. In one review i found on youtube the guy said that the Tenacious came out of the box sharper then the Emerson commander...unfortunately the guy deleted the video. True Story.

Not in my experience they don't.

Spyderco is top of the line when it comes to knives.

Overall (quality and selection) I'd give Spyderco a solid B+. Rescue Junior is handy.

Overall (quality and selection) I'd give Spyderco a solid B+. Rescue Junior is handy.

Where do the other knife brands (Cold Steel, Kershaw etc) rank in your opinion.

If you look at the whole range of production folding knives available, I think Chris Reeve makes the best. Strength, cutting ability, materials and design.

I've owned an Emerson CGC-7, a matched pair of Loveless drop-point hunters (can't believe I sold those, numbers 123 and 124!), an Ed Fowler, several Chris Reeves, and a few other nice knives. I've handled Morans and most other top knifemakers products at shows too.

It's the simple Reeves that impressed me the most for their design and engineering. Back when Chris Reeve himself sharpened every blade, the "Moran edge" he put on those was the sharpest edge I've ever seen anywhere, by a margin. It's curved in a section view, right up to the very edge, not a straight bevel like virtually every other blade. That type of edge, even when done by a less-skilled grinder at Chris Reeve Knives (nobody does as well as Chris himself, from the newer ones I've seen anyway) cuts so well it's scary. You have to try it to understand.

My $0.02.

I like the inexpensive Spydercos (Endura, etc.) as light-duty utility knives, but that's all they're really made for. They might look like they'd be good in a defensive situation, but the soft plastic handles and held-by-a-rivet blade attachment aren't a good bet if you're stabbing and twisting through bone. A folder has enough disadvantages in it's design that only the very strongest ones can be trusted with your life.

Just picked up a Spyderco Tenacious off Ebay, for a damn good price. I've heard spydercos in general are amazing. Im just curious on your thoughts of each of these specifically: native III, Delica and Byrd Cara. Any owners?

I had one before...similar to this:
36390.jpg

but I always felt it was inferior to Cold Steel's line (they just "look" cool)

(lol at googling coldsteel for images, and finding some pron..)

Anyway, I owned This as well:

Which was a badass keychain ~1.5" blade
12cs.jpg

as well as this one, which was a badass 5" of blade...and absolutely good for nothing other then looking mean.
12bs.jpg

Yet these are cool too:

coldsteel.jpg

39LGK_Cold_Steel_Gurkha_Kukri.jpg

edit: Since I got off track...I loved my Cold Steel folder: ~80 bucks:
csstoreonline_2013_26242740

Edge lasted forever, sharpened very quickly and was extremely solid when working with it.

Just picked up a Spyderco Tenacious off Ebay, for a damn good price. I've heard spydercos in general are amazing. Im just curious on your thoughts of each of these specifically: native III, Delica and Byrd Cara. Any owners?

Never liked the cheap plastic.

The "spined" blades are more for looks then anything...

Back