Thoughts on Douglas Lima now?

He can hang with a top 5 MW, I think he did well all things considering.

Same as before. He's a top WW but gets beat by Usman and Colby, maybe others but he'd be a contender.

He showed he’s at that level. He can go 5 rounds with Mousasi without even getting hurt or a cut. But he lacked any offensive production and he seemed content to lose that fight. I’d say he stayed right where he thought he was. A good WW but probably not a champ at MW

Lima still is one of the top WW in the World....

He fought one of the best MW guys out there...who also should have fought for the UFC MW crown, imo.

....he did better than Rory though

Respect him even more for moving up and facing a great fighter. Moose is still a bad man even though he is well past his best days.

Lima is more than legit. During his prime, only lost to Andre and Rory, and he won both rematch. He only lost to Mousasi, one of the greatest WW on the planet. Douglas however have a weakness against strong wrestler and against elusive pressure fighter who make his game fall apart if he fight in the back foot. He have probably one of the best low kick in MMA history, and power with both hand, always victorious when brawling. He can beat any top 10 in the UFC, but very vulnerable against a wrestler like Usman or Colby.

One of the greatest WW on the planet.

The same. He fought a lot like he normally does. Lima backs up. He’s a counter puncher with some hard leg kicks thrown in. Mousasi controlled the spacing and never got wild or gave any openings for counter punches that Lima had floored Larkin and Koreshkov with. Mousasi is the more technically skilled striker as well and that is pretty much checkmate in regards to this matchup. I was never super excited for this fight as others were. I didn’t think it was necessary to put Lima in a loser matchup. It didn’t do Rory any good to get crushed by Mousasi. Lima obviously did better than Rory but obviously im posting in this thread which seeks to question Lima’s status at WW after what happened vs a great MW. I’m glad Coker is willing to put those together with no mind to the optics of one of them losing soundly but I had no doubt how it would go...it initially looked like it would go very bad but Lima deserves credit for his defensive wrestling and conditioning in the later rounds.

Gegard was way stronger than him. I’ve always considered Lima to be a big WW but he may just be a tall one...I expected that gap to be closer with Lima at MW but he surprisingly very much seemed like someone punching above his weight.

The quality and quantity of leg kicks he landed on Mousasi would’ve destroyed any WW from the waist down. They only looked like they might’ve started bothering Gegard by the 5th round

Last edited:
I've always said he has very little chance against Usman or Colby and the reasons for that were on clear display in that fight. He's just got too much of a tendency to back up into the cage.

No shame in losing to Mousasi though.

I would definitely rather see him fight Masvidal than those two.

I think his stock went up ....Mousasi is tough and Lima held his own

BMMA needs to keep Mousasi and Lima happy ..... which is already a done deal.Gegard 35 years young , shows no wear & tear from his 18 years of cage fighting in every top promotion ( just absolutely crazy) and actually looked soft last night .I'm assuming covid payed a role in that .Lima - on other hand - looked fucking insane . Shoulder blade to shoulder blade , he was the slightly bigger guy. He had no choice but to give the " the fight IQ in the clouds" mousasi all the respect he did otherwise he wouldve been on the brutal end of a 25 minute thumping.
I dont see any BMMA 170er beating Lima and I dont see any bmma middle beating moose. I'd like to see Nemkov keep on keep'n on.I also see bull losing at 145 a very tall order in the now CBSSN domiciled Bellator.

I know it's a pipe dream but I would love nothing more to see some cross promotion super card between the obvious top promotion of MMA vs Bellator. UFC has the obvious quantity but bmma has a handful of fighters that could help bring forth a few PPVS that could be mind blowing .
Coker seems to want Gegard to be in position of " double champ " and Nem would be a tall order. However , Mousasi UNDEFEATED at open/ heavy weight.

Both Gegard and Dougie career clean fighters which just adds to the aura of the 2 men and the rhetorical nature of these guys being the poster boys for Bellator for years to come.

He was a better striker than Gegard. Takedowns and fear of takedowns was his downfall

Moose is a long MW that can compete with LHW and HWs. Lima is still a fucking beast at 170.

He is a glorified can crusher. Usman would literally hold him against the cage for five rounds and beat him up.

It would not be close at all.
Can crushers don't give Rory McDonald hell. You can say that his style wouldn't work to well against the wrestlers who sit at the top of the UFC WW division, but I still see him as a legit top 10 guy.

Back