Thoughts on Douglas Lima now?

Danespina

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Has your opinion changed or stayed the same?

Lima 2.png

I think he would have no chance against Usman seeing that performance.

MW Mousasi would have finished WW Usman. Douglas Lima won 2 rounds on a judges card and would beat Usman imo. Those leg kicks hurt Mousasi

Lima in his whole career, when he has struggled, has struggled against grapplers. Brent Weedman was a bjj black belt who subbed him, Charles Blanchard was a wrestler, Eric Dahlberg was a wrestler, Ben Askren was a wrestler. Andrey Koreshkov 1, not really at all known for his wrestling, but vs. Lima that's basically all he tried to do, push him against the fence, take him down. Rory MacDonald 1, a capable wrestler, what did he do, push him to the fence, take him down. And then in this last fight, is Gegard a wrestler? No, but against Lima he does a lot more of that to secure the win.

So how would he do against the best wrestlers in the division in Usman and Covington? Probably not well. You always have a strikers chance, I'll say that. But people hate the fact that welterweight really has always been the wrestler's division. So when people see a remotely competent striker who is also racking up some wins they like to hail that person as the best in division or the savior of the division. But WW is the wrestler's division. And Lima has struggled against that style.

He didn’t do that bad honestly. He was tentative and still won round 4 and round 3 was close to a 10-10.

He's explosive, really has crazy power in his hands and legs, good athlete, good experience, hes arguably a top 10 caliber WW but honestly his cardio is mediocre at best and his takedown defense isn't where it needs to be even 5+ years detached from the Askren loss.

I also don't think is striking technique is the most amazing, while it hasn't happened in Bellator I think there's guys on the feet who can give him fits in the UFC. He's not a guy who "puts it all together" in general as a fighter either, somewhat limited. He seemed mentally checked out vs Mousasi, he was losing and stayed content losing which also says something about his mind and heart somewhat.

Great fighter but I think his conditioning, takedown defense and mental approach vs Mousasi told us a lot. Mousasi is great but hes 35 and has had 75+ fights...definitely past his prime at this point.

I've always said he has very little chance against Usman or Colby and the reasons for that were on clear display in that fight. He's just got too much of a tendency to back up into the cage.

No shame in losing to Mousasi though.

He is a glorified can crusher. Usman would literally hold him against the cage for five rounds and beat him up.

It would not be close at all.

Back