This was carved from one piece of marble? In the 1700's?

ButtonMasher

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
088d36a61614fbd694bbbb584637dd95.jpg

I'm having a hard time buying that one.

And you are angry because they said it was?

people didnt have instagram booty collections to distract them back then..

Where do you even start to be a carver/sculpture - what would you do to show you have a gift and affinity for it? Soap carving in primary school?

I really don't have an artistic mind - so it's almost alien to me how somebody could do that.

Where do you even start to be a carver/sculpture - what would you do to show you have a gift and affinity for it? Soap carving in primary school?

I really don't have an artistic mind - so it's almost alien to me how somebody could do that.
Whittling on scrap wood? All you need is a knife and an idea.

Why do people think humans were retarded before our time? You doubt humans were able to carve marble 300 years ago? For crying out loud, entire cathedrals were built way before that! Ancient Greeks used to carve marble a thousand years before Christ! 10 000 years before that, humans were building pyramids. Soon after came the Hanging Gardens, The Great Lighthouse of Alexandria, the Pathenon, etc.

Humans have always been creative and industrious, thousand of years before our time. If you can't grasp that, I have an easy answer for you: it was carved by Aliens...

Back in the day it would have been a family trade I imagine, they would have learned from a young age. They would have had guilds. That's pure guess work.

These days you would try several
things when studying art. Most people I know that studied art ended up being great at sculpting

Fuck, the dedication.

I think people today really underestimate how lazy modern technology has made us.

Fuck else did those guys have to do back then? Die of the plague?

Imagining someone who is talented doing something inventive is too much for me. I'll just say aliens or angels made it.

088d36a61614fbd694bbbb584637dd95.jpg

I'm having a hard time buying that one.

Michaelangelo produced the Pieta in 1499.

michelangelo-sculptures.jpg

The sculpture is made of Cararra marble and its Mary holding the crucified body of Jesus. Its dimensions are 68.5 inches by 76.8 inches. He completed it in one year.

I think people today really underestimate how lazy modern technology has made us.

Fuck else did those guys have to do back then? Die of the plague?

This is the truth of it. People don't usually think of it in perspective but really, what the hell else were people doing with their time back then? There was no internet, no TV, books were scarce, you couldn't travel easily, you didn't have cars so if you wanted to see your buddies you were likely walking and... Well, there were so many damned factors that contributed to your craft being a disproportionate part of your life by today's standards. People's crafts were their lives to a degree that rarely happens these days.

Last edited:
humans created some pretty incredible feats long before modern technology was available.

The colosseum was built 1800 years before the first power tool

Human ingenuity is not new.

I worked with a guy about 12 years ago who majored in sculpting and i asked him how he got into it. He said he drew a lot and then started carving wood, foam, etc, as well as using clay to make pots and whatnot. It sounded interesting, but i don't know how serious he was after he graduated. I'm with you, i can't draw at all and the thought of trying to carve something like in the OP is mind blowing to me. That sculpture is incredible.

I worked with a guy about 12 years ago who majored in sculpting and i asked him how he got into it. He said he drew a lot and then started carving wood, foam, etc, as well as using clay to make pots and whatnot. It sounded interesting, but i don't know how serious he was after he graduated. I'm with you, i can't draw at all and the thought of trying to carve something like in the OP is mind blowing to me. That sculpture is incredible.
That's a college major?
His parents must be so proud.
It sounds interesting, and a fun job. But I can't imagine there's enough demand to make it a college major.

It just takes skill and patience. Strangely enough, those 2 traits are exactly what artists have.

Back