This was carved from one piece of marble? In the 1700's?

088d36a61614fbd694bbbb584637dd95.jpg

I'm having a hard time buying that one.

You can't afford it

Where do you even start to be a carver/sculpture - what would you do to show you have a gift and affinity for it? Soap carving in primary school?

I really don't have an artistic mind - so it's almost alien to me how somebody could do that.

First you start out by being born in a country that respects and honors such traditions. Which isn't the US.

that was back when artists could focus entirely on their craft, and didn't have to work forty-hours a week as a cog in the machine. that's the price we pay for all the conveniences of today.

Where do you even start to be a carver/sculpture - what would you do to show you have a gift and affinity for it? Soap carving in primary school?

I really don't have an artistic mind - so it's almost alien to me how somebody could do that.

One of my friends majored in art and he said sculpting is the last medium you learn because it's insanely difficult.

As for the Michealangelo piece those are two completely different levels of intricacy.

Do you understand how unbelievably difficult it would be to sculpt a net hanging over a person?

As for cathedrals, those were built by putting pieces into place.

I think people today really underestimate how lazy modern technology has made us.

Fuck else did those guys have to do back then? Die of the plague?

I've often wondered what I would do with my time if there was no electricity. Imagine a world with no radio, TV or Internet. What would you do? How would you spend your time?

For me, I think reading would take up a lot of time. It would take the place of those aforementioned electronic devices.

But you can't just sit around and read all the time. Plus, since communication would be limited to face to face meetings and letters--so no Internet forums and the like--I'm sure I would spend a lot more time out in the world just sitting down with people to have conversations.

Since I've always wanted to be a filmmaker, I think I'd instead channel that storytelling desire into being a novelist and possibly a playwright.

Here's what I think I'd spend most of my time doing:

Reading
Writing
Having conversations
Attending plays
Getting out in nature
Traveling

It's interesting to think about.

I've often wondered what I would do with my time if there was no electricity. Imagine a world with no radio, TV or Internet. What would you do? How would you spend your time?

For me, I think reading would take up a lot of time. It would take the place of those aforementioned electronic devices.

But you can't just sit around and read all the time. Plus, since communication would be limited to face to face meetings and letters--so no Internet forums and the like--I'm sure I would spend a lot more time out in the world just sitting down with people to have conversations.

Since I've always wanted to be a filmmaker, I think I'd instead channel that storytelling desire into being a novelist and possibly a playwright.

Here's what I think I'd spend most of my time doing:

Reading
Writing
Having conversations
Attending plays
Getting out in nature
Traveling

It's interesting to think about.

Probably tugging it to stick drawings of naked women by the modestly talented village artist.

Probably tugging it to stick drawings of naked women by the modestly talented village artist.

Seriously though, what would you do with your time? How do you think your life would be different if we didn't live in a society full of electricity?

Seriously though, what would you do with your time? How do you think your life would be different if we didn't live in a society full of electricity?

It would really depend where you were born. You'd have to have a tremendous sense of adventure to go somewhere that provided opportunities if you had the gifts to pursue them. Chances are, you were stuck doing whatever your Dad did, and that's if you were lucky.

It would really depend where you were born. You'd have to have a tremendous sense of adventure to go somewhere that provided opportunities if you had the gifts to pursue them. Chances are, you were stuck doing whatever your Dad did, and that's if you were lucky.

Well let's address the question this way. . .

By some form of magic, today's America was rolled back to the America of 1850 and there was no way to recreate the modern technologies that we currently enjoy. You have to adapt yourself to this new world.

How do you do it? What do you do to fill your time? What does the BMMA of this new (yet old) America look like in terms of his daily life?

Well let's address the question this way. . .

By some form of magic, today's America was rolled back to the America of 1850 and there was no way to recreate the modern technologies that we currently enjoy. You have to adapt yourself to this new world.

How do you do it? What do you do to fill your time? What does the BMMA of this new (yet old) America look like in terms of his daily life?

Did I grow up in that environment or am I teleported there as I am now?

You are teleported there . . . with a common household fly

the-fly-david-cronenberg-jeff-goldblum-geena-davis-john-getz-joy-boushel-leslie-carlson-george-chuvalo.jpg

Oh man, get ready to ejac out your mouf

:p

I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it. But now the dream is over...

Michaelangelo produced the Pieta in 1499.

michelangelo-sculptures.jpg

The sculpture is made of Cararra marble and its Mary holding the crucified body of Jesus. Its dimensions are 68.5 inches by 76.8 inches. He completed it in one year.

This is why I'm hesitant to call myself an artist. I have a bachelor's degree in fine arts to prove my competence but knowing that i can never match a Caravaggio or a Diego Velasquez in pure talent and dedication is quite of a downer. And then you see people doing doodles and thumbnail paintings and passing it off as art.

As you are now. . . You wake up tomorrow and it's 1850 America again and there's no going back.

Should we rule out using what is now basic high school or college curriculum and establishing myself as the greatest scientist since Issac Newton?

Back