This rivalry was soooooo good. Jones vs DC.

I'm still mad this WASN'T a title fight. Complete bullshit that they went from a 5 round fight to a 3 round fight. We've had late notice step ins where the title fight continued, why wouldn't this also be the case? Especially when the guy stepping up was Anderson. Anderson winning the LHW belt would've been legendary.

In retrospect, this only benefitted DC. He got to continue to fight on UFC 200, without even risking his already shaky title (imagine how much he'd be laughed at if both Jones and Silva had devalued his belt), and the fat fuck didn't have to go the 5 rounds he clearly could not.
Anderson was too light to be a LHW, he weighed in like 7 pounds under the weight limit which means he was probably outweighed by at least 25 pounds on fight night. If he had somehow won I doubt he would have been interested in defending the belt.
Also doubt Anderson would have wanted to take a 5-round fight on 2 days' notice

DC was 2 years older on his UFC debut than JJ is TODAY but DC is still going strong and Jones is past his prime

I'm still mad this WASN'T a title fight. Complete bullshit that they went from a 5 round fight to a 3 round fight. We've had late notice step ins where the title fight continued, why wouldn't this also be the case? Especially when the guy stepping up was Anderson. Anderson winning the LHW belt would've been legendary.

In retrospect, this only benefitted DC. He got to continue to fight on UFC 200, without even risking his already shaky title (imagine how much he'd be laughed at if both Jones and Silva had devalued his belt), and the fat fuck didn't have to go the 5 rounds he clearly could not.

At time I was mad cause I wanted what I paid for to matter at same time it shouldn't have counted in hindsight. AS was fighting on short notice and even with a training camp would have no chance. Also AS didn't even deserve a MW title shot at that point he was there cause he was a name who was willing to be. Felt like it was a sparring session only competitive part of the fight was AS trying once or twice to surprise DC it didn't work(if it did it would have been hillarious to see what happened next) and that was that. Don't think it was rigged just that both fighters knew it wasn't going to be a competitive fight and were doing it to be able to fight at UFC 200 like you said.

Also even if he'd done it DC's belt wasn't seen as real anyway. It would have been interesting to see the AS fans delude themselves into thinking he'd beat Jones though again after already having conceded the battle years earlier. That alternate timeline would be weird. Anyway DC didn't just lose to the actual champ in a clear 4-1 decision and just happened to replace him(wasn't even next in line when he did). The Rumble and Gus fights both saw him almost get KO'd and lose on a judges scorecard(IMO Gus won cause he almost KO'd DC in the third which one judge gave DC changing the outcome). Besides Jones loss, DC's next 4 wins(LHW and HW) would be the most impressive stretch of his UFC career, still overrated given he got GOAT discussions started point was DC didn't look like a real champ.

Since his early UFC days were he beat even less in shape HW's now that I think of DC's only decisions were the Jones and Gus fights which he lost and almost lost. Think at the time his cardio issues got overshadowed cause when he was fighting Rumble that was an advantage cause Rumble could only go like 1 round while DC could like 2 maybe 3 before fading. Another reason why fighting HW is such an overrated achievement surviving the first round less tired doesn't mean you win but it's close to that. But a lot of people only gague difficulty by how hard your opponents hit even if LHW's and MW's are more or less the same size just better athletes.

I do think DC would have won a 5 round decision just AS was less prepared. But that would have been even worse to watch.

Hillarious watching DC and Ariel talk and Ariel mention Jones had the belt for 9 years and DC trying to pretend he didn't notice. And yeah he tried to discredit his win where Jones was clean(not that i think he intentionally cheated second time, test result) by referring to a positive test for cocaine as "something" on tv as a commentator leading the audience to reach their own conclusions about what "something" meant. Him saying Jones was DQ'd from the title as if the fact his professional success is 100% based on the timing of a dudes car accident he couldn't beat on the merit is so legitimate. DC's lost 3 times, he got title shots after 2 and the other one they just gave him the belt fuck having to fight for it!

Last edited:
Anderson was too light to be a LHW, he weighed in like 7 pounds under the weight limit which means he was probably outweighed by at least 25 pounds on fight night. If he had somehow won I doubt he would have been interested in defending the belt.
Also doubt Anderson would have wanted to take a 5-round fight on 2 days' notice

Weight is changable. Height and reach, the frame you put that weight on is not. A 6 foot 2 person can carry 205 pounds lighter than a shorter person they make that choice. Being lighter or heavier isnt your size, I remember people pretending it was going to kill DC whose 5 foot 11 to go down to 205 pounds when he's got the dimensions of say a Tony Ferguson height and reach wise(just an additional 50+pounds). Evans moved down to MW and in retirement might be a WW. 6 foot 2 with a 77 inch reach(think it was that) might be an average LHW today maybe even smaller. But back then 6 foot 2 was large for a LHW, Tito, Forrest Griffin were outliers at 6 foot 3. Evans and DC were 5 foot 11 and they didn't just fight at LHW but HW at times.

AS fought at LHW 3 times the weight wasn't the issue it's the opponents he did and didn't face. At the extremes obviously WEC guys can't go up to the heavy classes and vice e versa but we got to stop judging peoples sizes based on the divisions they chose to fight at rather than actual size. With your size you've probably got several divisions you can fight at, and it's why fighters move divisions when they have exhausted oppurtunities at the old one or don't think the cut is right for them. AS was using the same large height and reach advantages at MW Jones had before recently. Rumble is 6 foot 2 and that guy shows the whole spectrum from WW, LHW to Rumbleweight I don't know.

Weight is changable. Height and reach, the frame you put that weight on is not. A 6 foot 2 person can carry 205 pounds lighter than a shorter person they make that choice. Being lighter or heavier isnt your size, I remember people pretending it was going to kill DC whose 5 foot 11 to go down to 205 pounds when he's got the dimensions of say a Tony Ferguson height and reach wise(just an additional 50+pounds). Evans moved down to MW and in retirement might be a WW. 6 foot 2 with a 77 inch reach(think it was that) might be an average LHW today maybe even smaller. But back then 6 foot 2 was large for a LHW, Tito, Forrest Griffin were outliers at 6 foot 3. Evans and DC were 5 foot 11 and they didn't just fight at LHW but HW at times.

AS fought at LHW 3 times the weight wasn't the issue it's the opponents he did and didn't face. At the extremes obviously WEC guys can't go up to the heavy classes and vice e versa but we got to stop judging peoples sizes based on the divisions they chose to fight at rather than actual size. With your size you've probably got several divisions you can fight at, and it's why fighters move divisions when they have exhausted oppurtunities at the old one or don't think the cut is right for them. AS was using the same large height and reach advantages at MW Jones had before recently. Rumble is 6 foot 2 and that guy shows the whole spectrum from WW, LHW to Rumbleweight I don't know.
Jones is a legit 6’4, DC is a legit 5’10 at best,

As much as people want to shit on DC, he was Jones toughest challenge (made him take peds) And Sold the most PPV's. That said, Jon is nothing without DC.

Yeah, it is bizarre people leave this out.

Every time they fought, he had issues with PED's.

First fight - dodgy test levels.
Second fight - cancelled due to being caught prior to the fight
Second fight - Caught after the fight

Would have been great to see a fair fight between them.

There's no rivalry when you're 0-2 and got knocked out.

If they fight 10 times, Jones is going to win 10 times.

It's just some Cormier fans wanted it so bad to be a some kind of rivalry although there's no competition between them.

I found out about the ufc when Jon was in full villain mode before the Dc rematch.

Watching the interview and fights of the Jon "Good guy" Jones was so entertaining because it felt like a master a plan ,a mascarade where Jones was trying to trick everyone.
I

I get the steroids argument for people who want to dismiss Jones but does anyone really believe DC hasn't been on some form of PEDs himself over the years? Or any of the top guys for that matter?

If you fall back on " he (or they depending on who you want to believe) never tested positive than you have to admit Jones was clean in the first fight with DC because he didn't test hot either.

I hate steroids in sports but I do believe all the top guys are or have been on something at one time or another. I think all the fighters know it too.

So 40 years from now when you’re telling your recently-came-out-as-gay grandsonScreenshot_20200605-060352.png about the “greatest rivalry in UFC history” you’re just gonna omit the fact the winner was on steroids?

Fixed

It says everything that Jones had to cheat in order to win against a much older more shop warn DC. The DC that fought Bigfoot Silva Beats Jones, even on roids.

This thread has @Perrichet punching the air right now

yN44kwH.gif

I wonder what could've been if Jon didn't pop the first time before that rematch. When Dana told DC and he slammed his foot down, you could see what that done to DC, pure devastation after all the hard work and age was not on his side. In the first fight DC was gaining momentum and boxing Jones up, then Jones conveniently poked and reset. In my opinion, DC is more depleted than Jones in cutting to LHW. But thats what DC chose to do

Back