This is how brazilian fighters sound in portuguese

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So since the other thread was made on how fighters sound in their native tongue this is my personal opinion on the most famous brazilian fighters.

Wanderlei silva: total knucklehead who likes to fight for anything ( the brazilian cody garbrandt )

Demian maia: very well spoken, inteligent and all around nice guy, almost like chael sonnen well spoken levels but without the trash talk

Lyoto machida: sounds like an steriotyped karate master 100% of the time not much different from his english version

Anderson silva: i don't know really he seems like a nice guy but kinda fake in a way, he has a really high pitch voice

Jose aldo: he's far better in portuguese, obviously you could tell he's not from a good background but he's naturally smart enough to come off at least like a middle class working guy.

The nogueira brother: both well spoken and intelligent, kinda like demian maia.

Paulo costa: this might surprise a lot of you guys but he shows a lot more personality in english, in portuguese he sounds very average joe and honestly kinda shy, to be fair sometimes really shy. Its almost like he fells more confortable joking around in english since people would not give him such a hard time since it's not his native tongue.

Last edited:
What about Palhares?

I think of him as an Ivan Drago type not letting go a subs. "If it breaks, it breaks."

He is super humble as he actually come from a tough backgroung so he talks kind of quietly, sounds like he is an employe talking to a douche boss that might fire him... Wich makes even wierder when he talks about snapping peoples legs and shit... He acts like he has no intention at all on doing, like he doesn´t know any better... But hey.. he knows... You can tell...

Demian maia: very well spoken, inteligent and all around nice guy, almost like chaeç sonnen well spoken levels but without the trash talk
One thing about Demian is that he has a college degree wich is super rare among other MMA fighters in Brazil (specially those who are around his age) so he talks in a way that shows he can speak the most correct Portuguese... At the begining I was kind of annoyed couse he sounds like he tries too hard to sound different from other fighters... But the guy is really cool .. So I don´t really care anymore...

One thing about Demian is that he has a college degree wich is super rare among other MMA fighters in Brazil (specially those who are around his age) so he talks in a way that shows he can speak in the most correct way... At the begining I was kind of annoyed couse he sounds like he tries too hard to sound different from other fighters... But the guy is really cool .. So I don´t really care anymore...
And he has a degree in journalism so that helps he speaking even more. There are other brazilian fighters with degrees to be fair i belive paulo costo has one on PE so does rda... But that doesn't really make you speak better

Hmm very interesting.

What about Shogun. And Werdum. And RDA

Hmm very interesting.

What about Shogun. And Werdum. And RDA
Shogun has a really thick southern accent outside of that all this guys have really similar personalities and talk about the same. I belive all of them are from a working class background so they are compatible to the average joe in the usa

Werdum is much more outgoing compared to those 2.
However, I feel like in Portuguese he's more careful about sounding respectful than in english

However, I feel like in Portuguese he's more careful about sounding respectful than in english
Yeah he's the most jokester of them but all of this tree are pretty average joes they don't really cause much of an impression

Its not like that, portuguese is a very direct language so sometimes when we speak english it comes out as quite "rude" i have to police myself sometimes as well to not come out like an asshole

Victor is always trying to sound as he's more intelligent/educated than he really is.
Tries to hard to sound somewhat "inspiring".

This is exactly what it seems like. Like he’s the Brazilian Jon Jones.

Is there a Brazilian Tito? Someone really dumb who tries to sound smart?

And who would be a Brazilian Phil Baroni/Mike Perry? Just completely over the top asshole in good fun. Maybe Arona? How did he sound?

As for SIlva, he is a jokester. He is ALWAYS clowning fans, the media and (obviously) the haters.

Maybe that's why he sounds fake, but having followed most of his career, I can say that he just likes to have fun.
That's always been my impression of him, that he's "fake" in that he's always messing around. Don't blame him, probably better to put up a front to the media when you're famous. In fact its one thing I've always l liked about him, its like he never takes any interview seriously. His high pitched voice only makes that shtick more entertaining.

Back